Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Aspiring UK JETs 2016

Default Re: Aspiring UK JETs 2016

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidcrane View Post
    a Japanese-culture themed blog

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidcrane View Post
    Well, yes, hence why I said my application this time was stronger.

I've got a TEFL qualification, a first class degree, an academic prize and a Japanese-culture themed blog to my name this time around, none of which I had when I became an Alternate last year. I'm also working as a London assistant for a publication half based in Tokyo.

I was hoping the above would be enough to take me from Alternate limbo to short list. But as I also said, I know JET moves in mysterious ways and perhaps one year's promising candidate is another's average reject.
    A 1st class degree and TEFL would have looked good, but the Japan-themed blog would set off enough warning bells to nullify the positives.

The tenuous Japan link in your current job wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference.

If you go for a 3rd attempt, cut out anything that makes you look obsessed with or even just focussed on Japan. Concentrate entirely on how good a teacher / " cultural representative" you'll be.

My letter just came through the door. I got shortlisted! Good luck to the rest of you!