Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breaking Contract

Default Re: Breaking Contract

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    It is.

Would it be the same BoE that refused to pay for the facial injuries of an on-duty ALT?
    I always had the feeling Two-Face's story was a little embellished. If the situation up there was so horrific nobody would recontract.

I dunno; I've personally experienced the whole "you can't drive to your far-flung visit school, but you also don't get paid for the time spent commuting, so it's working time, but it's not working time" thing, and other ALTs in my area have, too. It's not at all hard for me to imagine that someone might experience serious repercussions from such a nonsensical policy in the event of an accident of the sort she described.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Unless you like spending your free time playing Cards Against Humanity, doing self-serving charity work and rolling out inane quotes from Adventure Time you might well find yourself feeling left out of the ALT community. The alternative is far worse though.

It does take time to build up a network if you don't fit the very narrow demographic of the standard wacky, dorky JET, but it does happen with a bit of effort.
    Actually it's Munchkin for my local group.

Does anyone have any stories of actually breaking contract?

Quote Originally Posted by Larien View Post
    Does anyone have any stories of actually breaking contract?
    If we did, in the sense of what OP is planning, we wouldn't be here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Do you want ones that'll make you feel terrible or ones that will ease your mind?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Do you want ones that'll make you feel terrible or ones that will ease your mind?
    Both

Gather 'round grampa ini, guys. He's gonna tell some tales.

Who's gonna sit on his lap? I nominate 123.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

the good - plenty of people break contract and its not a big deal for any party involved.

the bad - ALT breaks contract and is stung with large bills for their flight and tokyo orientation, are ostracized by everyone they work with, are forced to apologize to the principals/superintendent of education/mayor/city council, made to spend their remaining time sat in the BOE rather than go to school.

the insane - police call the town hall to report a foreign gentleman is loading up his car with the contents of his apartment. Is detained by the police until a BOE representative arrives and confirms which items are owned by him and which are city property.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

the insane - police call the town hall to report a foreign gentleman is loading up his car with the contents of his apartment. Is detained by the police until a BOE representative arrives and confirms which items are owned by him and which are city property.
    This sounds like something that has happened. I'm always suspicious of Ini's penchant for hyperbole, but this doesn't so so far fetched.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Gather 'round grampa ini, guys. He's gonna tell some tales.

Who's gonna sit on his lap? I nominate 123.

More please! Happy endings, too! :P

I might be willing to tell a juicy one from my pred's departure in VIP.

One of the ALTs in my area a couple of ALTs back stopped going to school completely but kept living in his apartment. When the school showed up to see what the hell was going on he screamed at them for invading his private property. When they told him it actually belonged to them he slashed up the doors and tatami and took a shit on the floor and left.

Just wanted to balance the whole 'bad CO' thing.
    Last edited by Virgil; October 21st, 2015 at 13:05.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Happy endings cost extra.

U da real mvp.

I might be willing to tell a juicy one from my pred's departure in VIP.

One of the ALTs in my area a couple of ALTs back stopped going to school completely but kept living in his apartment. When the school showed up to see what the hell was going on he screamed at them for invading his private property. When they told him it actually belonged to them he slashed up the doors and tatami and took a shit on the floor and left.

Just wanted to balance the whole 'bad CO' thing.
    Sounds like the bog standard ITIL user.

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    Sounds like the bog standard ITIL user.
    No, itil users piss in various hard to find locations to make sure the taint can never be removed.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; October 21st, 2015 at 17:54.

U da real mvp.

I think every year I've been here there has been an ALT that has broken contract early. The ones that seem to piss people off are the kind who abruptly leave in winter right after the cut-off for upgrading ALTs, the ones who give no notice at all, the ones who leave a ton of junk or unpaid bills, or the ones that do something scandalous or have so many problems with their school that they're forced to leave early.

If you're dead set on leaving, getting your affairs in order and contacting your BOE before December so they have a chance to upgrade a new ALT will probably help smooth things over.

Having a good excuse for leaving is good too, but I've known at least one ALT that told the BOE they were leaving because they were unhappy, and then told their school they were leaving because a relative was in the hospital so they got a ton of well wishes and farewell gifts. The people he talked to at the BOE were pissed when they found out and I don't think he had a pleasant farewell from them.

The only ALTs I know who broke contract and left on very good terms were ones who had job offers they couldn't turn down and were diligent in informing the BOE quickly and helped get things set up for the replacement ALT. It also probably helped that they spoke good Japanese and had good rapports with their schools.

How are you doing, OP?

Our city's horror story with a breaking contract is from this year, the girl didn't stay 24 hours.

Apparently just went to Tokyo orientation, got to the city, introduced herself to the school and met her supervisors, got home, sent an email/called that night saying she was returning home. NO ONE knows why. My block tends to have a higher recontracting rate than most blocks, and sooo many Unicorn Jets. (5th years) A lot of them stayed after their 5th year with a private company too so they're not even gone. annnd no one knows what happened with her.

BUT, really just decide what's best for you.
    Do you need the job experience so you can get hired when you return? Do you need the money? If so, it might be better just to tough it out and if you're ever asked why you didn't stay longer in a job interview you can say it was just a year to explore the world and see other cultures a bit.
    If you feel like you have a strong resume and are pretty confident in the future, I'd say to feel free and do what you think will make you happy.
    Last edited by JestersJ; December 2nd, 2015 at 09:23.