Thread: Him and Her

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Him and Her

G'day mates,

Quick request today. My JTE just asked me for an activity to help my middle school first year students learn 'him' and 'her'.
    Other than using huge flash cards with people's faces on them and using the phrase 'I like him/her' would any one be able to help me out with ideas or things they have done in the past? Unfortunately there's not much on him/her in my prefecture's lesson plan booklet.

Cheers

Default Re: Him and Her

Quote Originally Posted by Pup View Post
    G'day mates,

Quick request today. My JTE just asked me for an activity to help my middle school first year students learn 'him' and 'her'.
    Other than using huge flash cards with people's faces on them and using the phrase 'I like him/her' would any one be able to help me out with ideas or things they have done in the past? Unfortunately there's not much on him/her in my prefecture's lesson plan booklet.

Cheers
    That's not much to build a lesson around. What else have you been working on the past few months?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Yeah I know mate. We learnt 'Who's that?' last week and I asked the kids to introduce the kid sitting to them. 'Who's that?' 'She/he's Tanaka...'
    I would do that again with an addition to 'I like him/her' but my JTE wants something new. :\

So far I'm thinking of asking the kids to draw their favourite character and saying. 'This is .....' 'He/she is from....' 'I like him/her'

Make them use new information. I don't teach JHS, but I assume you could explain "I met him 2 years ago."

-or maybe have them do actions with each other? "This is poor little Yuki. I jump with her." *bunny hops away* "This is Fat Little Tanaka. I dance with him." *proceeds to break it down*

Anything that makes them construct something is useful in the long run.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; October 19th, 2015 at 08:32.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    This is Fat Little Tanaka. I dance with him.
    Fat Little Tanaka sounds like a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    Fat Little Tanaka sounds like a great guy.
    He's taken. Yuki has an a$s that just won't quit.

U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    He's taken. Yuki has an a$s that just won't quit.
    So she might be poor little Yuki but you're telling me she's rich in assets?

I've never spent much time on him/her. I've spent a few minutes doing things like you said, a picture and students say I like him/her, I don't like him/her. But really him/her is a word that will naturally be reinforced, so once they've been taught it, I move on and just reteach as needed when I see it being misused in their other projects.

But like Gristleteat said, there's probably something else they've learned recently that can be paired with it.

Englipedia
    Like everyone else said, it's not really a grammar point to spend a lot of time on, so there's not a lot of good activities. Of course, one of my JTEs thinks that all grammar points require a 20 minute activity. I showed the kids pictures and had them fill in the blanks. Next, I gave them a worksheet where they had to write in the correct pronoun, either him or her (I like Hello Kitty. → I like __________.), then I did a section where they had to choose between the object and subject pronouns. Example: I like ( he / him ). ( Me / I ) play badminton.

Thanks for the replies guys,

Yeah I didn't really feel the need to make an entire 20 minute activity around it to be honest!
    Just gonna wing it with the character picture thing.

Cheers!