Thread: "Work Experience", the form asks for: Supervisor Contact Information

Default "Work Experience", the form asks for: Supervisor Contact Information

Hi, I really want to apply for the JET Program, however, I do not want my supervisor at my current employer to know that I am applying for a job elsewhere. Under "Work Experience", the form asks for: Supervisor Contact Information (Name, Title, Phone, Email)

Do I have to provide this information at this time? Are there any assurances that my current supervisor will not be contacted until a much later date?

Default Re: "Work Experience", the form asks for: Supervisor Contact Information

So long as you're in the US: They can contact your current workplace to verify that you work(ed) there and ask about how long you worked there, what you did, why you (haven't) left, if they'd rehire you, if you're violent or a security risk, and how much you made. Asking anything more than that is legally dangerous (IANAL) - a previous/current employer lying to a prospective employer opens themselves up to slander/libel suits. Obviously if your story and your former workplace story doesn't line up, that's a massive red flag. If you can, ask your HR department about what info they provide and see if they should be the ones contacted instead of your direct supervisor (if that's possible at your org.)

AFAIK no-one ever contacted my former/current-at-the-time workplace, however my workplace knew I was applying/planning to leave.

Default Re: "Work Experience", the form asks for: Supervisor Contact Information

They can do that, but chances are they're not going to especially at this stage. They're way too busy to go through calling a bunch of supervisors. I feel like they'd throw out the application if they saw any red flags before even bothering to call anyone. You're just a piece of paper at this point, tbh they won't care enough. If you get shortlisted and they find some kind of discrepancy between your SOP or interview or something relating to your job or maybe a red flag, then they MIGHT call someone? IMO I think it's just a formality that all job apps have. In all the jobs I've applied for/had in my life, my past supervisors were never once contacted.

MrPlow, you're a redditor I see.

Pretty much no employer gets contacted. There's way too many applicants to vet each one.

I highly doubt anyone gets contacted.
    Fleetwood Mac sex pants, new band name, I call it!
    Oooh, you know what, maybe just Fleetwood Mac.
    Andy Dwyer.