Thread: Did I blow my chances?

Default Did I blow my chances?

I applied to the JET Program in 2008 and I was accepted... however, due to family health issues, I had to decline.

I just applied to the 2016 program with much more English teaching and travel experience. However, now I have a wife and a child.

Do you think, that because I declined the offer earlier, and I'm taking a family with me, that I have very little chance of getting accepted again?

Default Re: Did I blow my chances?

Quote Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
    I applied to the JET Program in 2008 and I was accepted... however, due to family health issues, I had to decline.

I just applied to the 2016 program with much more English teaching and travel experience. However, now I have a wife and a child.

Do you think, that because I declined the offer earlier, and I'm taking a family with me, that I have very little chance of getting accepted again?
    No. Declining with a good reason shouldn't hurt your chances at all. At most, you'll have to explain the circumstances to the interview panel.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Explanation will be important, as will a justification of what your family will be doing over there while you're teaching. They're not gonna say no, but they will certainly ask you quite a few questions about it. (I know 1 family that came over, and I know plenty of married couples that have come over)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

No I did the same, and reapplied 2 years later and I'm here now.

The fact that you have more experience will be a plus, but like it has already been said - they will question you about it or at least bring it up. They did to me, but it wasn't the whole theme of my interview and they moved on pretty quickly.

Thanks, that makes me feel better.

I noticed a mistake on my application. I wrote 20008 instead of 2008 (on the question asking when I applied before). I wonder if their sticklers for those things when reviewing applications.

See, I'd be more worried about that than the family business.