Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you get homesick?

Default What do you do when you get homesick?

I think the honeymoon phase is pretty much dead and homesickness is probably starting to set-in for new JETs. I know it is for everyone in my city. Just a bit curious about what you guys do when it happens.

I finally found a place around here that serves pretty decent mac and cheese, so that helped a little for me.

Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

Go snowboarding (in winter). Otherwise try to go out and do something.

Indulge in some delicious, fattening food.

Get completely drunk and cry while watching Youtube videos that have no business making me cry.

Intimate contact with someone from my preferred gender helps a lot.

Watch something to do with the election and don't miss America as much.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

This summer I got really homesick - well not so much homesick as wanderlust. A couple of my friends moved away from the prefecture and I actually kinda felt lonely. I really went stir crazy in the staffroom. So I poured myself into a couple hobbies - I got a couple little metal figure kits to assemble, and then put together the speaker amp kit I got from a friend. And I put roughly 3000km on my bike trying to get healthier and lose a little bit of weight.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

My HUGE suggestion is, "time to grow up". Not in the bootstraps kind of way, but in the stop talking with the other ALTs and get out on their own into the community. Try to make new Japanese friends, experience new things, and get the hell out of the apartment. The best cure for homesickness is to occupy the mind and not be surrounded by those everyday things which will remind you of home.

Disconnecting from Facebook at times like these also helps a bit too. Basically anything that reminds and reinforces ideas that home is better than the life here are going to make it worse, so it's about forcing yourself to accept the life you have. This is a big part of the shift from Uni Student to Adult, and most are unfortunately doing it for the first time here in Japan which is doubly bad. Basically you're forcing the worst breakup of your life, after having an arm cut off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I never really left the honeymoon period and I think it was because as soon as I noticed the other Jets doing so I minimised contact with all but a couple of my favourites. The more time you spend in grotty ramen joints listening to spoilt children whine about petty injustices that were usually their fault, the more you will want to be somewhere, anywhere else.

At weekends, visit other parts of Japan as often as you can. Big cities are especially good for this as you'll realise how much better looking the people are than where you're from.
    Last edited by mrcharisma; October 23rd, 2015 at 09:54.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    I never really left the honeymoon period and I think it was because as soon as I noticed the other Jets doing so I minimised contact with all but a couple of my favourites. The more time you spend in grotty ramen joints listening to spoilt children whine about petty injustices that were usually their fault, the more you will want to be somewhere, anywhere else.

At weekends, visit other parts of Japan as often as you can. Big cities are especially good for this as you'll realise how much better looking the people are than where you're from.

This and Gizmo's advice are great. I had a similar experience to mrcharisma. I would disagree that facebook makes me miss home. Facebook is the fastest way for me to remember that I don't really care to be back there yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Yeah, I'm already trying to do a lot of the things Gizmo suggested. We have so many ALTs here, and a good handful of them have really good Japanese, so I'm definitely guilty of clinging to that safety net. The other week I went to book a sharehouse in my school's community for my family by myself, and somehow ended up with a free bowl of zenzai and watching a taiko performance on the street... probably one of my favorite memories so far. And I actually met a local here my age who studied for awhile in my home city, so we're meeting up for drinks this week. I'm hoping that'll be a catalyst to hanging out with more Japanese people and finding a language partner or something.

Facebook doesn't bother me too much either because I definitely miss my family more than actually being back at home. Some of them are coming here over Christmas/New Years which I think will at least help with the holiday blues.
    Last edited by weepinbell; October 23rd, 2015 at 10:33.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I think for most people it's not so much about "missing home" as it is "missing familliar connections". The strongest of those will be family to many, and friends to others. Family is the hard one to break, that most of us generally have to do at some point in our 20s as we start building our own, independent lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I think for most people it's not so much about "missing home" as it is "missing familliar connections". The strongest of those will be family to many, and friends to others. Family is the hard one to break, that most of us generally have to do at some point in our 20s as we start building our own, independent lives
    I think this is true for me. I don't miss home as much as I miss the people I was with when I was home. This is more about my friends than my family.

I'm one of those weird people who enjoy spending time by myself more than with others, so I can feel this initial period of vague homesickness is going to be a bit of a barrier to get over.

Thanks for these tips! I'll try them soon!
    Fleetwood Mac sex pants, new band name, I call it!
    Oooh, you know what, maybe just Fleetwood Mac.
    Andy Dwyer.

I eat super market pizza and drink a couple beers.

Not really because I'm homesick, but because I miss the food a lot. My *slight* autism gives me the advantage of not really caring about people back home.

I eat super market pizza and drink a couple beers.

Not really because I'm homesick, but because I miss the food a lot. My *slight* autism gives me the advantage of not really caring about people back home.
    This. It helps to be completely emotionally disconnected at all times.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Yeh I've been here for over six years and have barely missed anyone. MG had a slightly rougher time, but she's a lot closer to most of her family than I am, plus, she's a much nicer person than I, so she has moar friends.

We have each other, which helped a lot. Mebbe my first year (before she came over) was rough? But I don't remember it that way; it seems pretty awesome to look back on it.

Weirdly, I think this experience has made me a little more appreciative of a few of my family members. My friends are awesome and will be every bit as friendly when I get back, so I'm not worried about them. My old roommate and I were hanging out like I'd nevar been gone when I dropped back by for a visit; we've seriously discussed rooming again when MG and I cruise back home (ghey, I know, but I don't care; he's awesome and would be a kickarse adult roommate).
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

The only home I have ever known is at the bottom of a glass and luckily they have them in most countries so I've never really experienced this "homesickness" of which you speak.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

The only home I have ever known is at the bottom of a glass and luckily they have them in most countries so I've never really experienced this "homesickness" of which you speak.
    Your philosophy is one to be admired and envied.

SING ME A SONG YOU'RE THE PIANO MAN...
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

SING ME A SONG YOU'RE THE PIANO MAN...
    Sing us a song tonight

I go to difference places and shop my feelings.

But I dunno, I haven't really felt that homesick. I kind of love my solitary life in the mountains.

Oh, but Tokyo Disneyland is almost like a mini-vacation from Japan. It's so ~western~.

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
    Oh, but Tokyo Disneyland is almost like a mini-vacation from Japan. It's so ~western~.
    It really is; they ought to just call it "Americaland" or some sh*t.

I'm going to USJ tomorrow, maybe that'll Americaland enough to get me by.

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    I'm going to USJ tomorrow, maybe that'll Americaland enough to get me by.
    The strip mall outside it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.