Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you get homesick?

Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

I'm trying to get into a daily routine, it has been pretty successful outside of the part where I'm supposed to study Japanese instead of watching TV or playing video games. And going out to some restaurants near you is a good idea, found a nice coffee shop and a crepe place just wandering around in my town.

Jogging and biking always put me in a really good mood. They allowed me to explore my little city and it kind of made it feel like home.

Also, go out for beers with friends! Like Mr. Charisma said, try not to pick the miserable pricks who will just bitch and complain either (that's what ITIL is for).

Go see a movie! I was lucky because I had a nice theatre about five minutes away from me, and I would go see movies from time to time. I'd go to the arcade first from time to time, and sometimes one of my students would embarrass me by licking me at that drum game.

Oooh, try a new restaurant too. I liked doing that.

Finally, if you have any "happy" movies or shows, watch those. Some of the shows and movies that make me happy are the Haratio Hornblower series, Dredd, the Sharpe series, the Running Man, Master and Commander and Conan (the Arnie version of course).
    Last edited by johnny; October 23rd, 2015 at 17:14.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

For me, what seems to help is watching some American TV/movies, eating food I really like, and going to visit my former host family as often as I can. People who know and like me! Wow, what a nice feeling.

Meanwhile, I'm working on trying to make connections in my town. Hanging out with coworkers, and (oddly enough) parents from the PTA really lifts my spirits.

I'll be honest, homesickness never really hit me hard. I think a big part of that is because I call home every weekend and occasionally chat with people back home via FB, so I still feel connected. Moving away for college probably helped me prepare for JET too since I got to experience the shock of being physically isolated from friends and family without also going through culture shock. It was a lot easier moving to Japan in some ways since I no longer had high expectations for anyone to go out of their way to keep in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    I'm trying to get into a daily routine, it has been pretty successful outside of the part where I'm supposed to study Japanese instead of watching TV or playing video games. And going out to some restaurants near you is a good idea, found a nice coffee shop and a crepe place just wandering around in my town.
    I wouldn't recommend torturing yourself by watching Japanese TV (I certainly wish I didn't have to) but have you tried watching any movies in Japanese? I used to practice my listening by renting movies in Japanese that I'd already seen in English since I could understand the plot without subtitles or use only Japanese subtitles.

You could play games in Japanese too, but that might require some investment since some systems are region locked. Second hand DS Lites are super cheap here and are region free so you can play any DS games (except 3DS) in Japanese or English. Used DS games are super cheap too.

I've definitely finished the honeymoon phase as well, but over a month ago. Culture shock comes quicker out here in the inaka.
    However, there is a lot too do. I go on photo hunts and drive around a random area I've been curious about and take photos.

I do have to say that I've felt significantly less homesick since my schools began inviting me to do things (fishing, field trips, etc). Ask how you can get involved.

My honeymoon phase ended the first night I set foot in my apartment, but I'm not homesick. I think what has helped keep homesickness at bay is the experience of having lived abroad before and also knowing I'll be outta Japan for good next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    The only time I use the phone part of my phone is:
    When delivery people call me asking me where the fuck I am
    When school calls me and asks me where the fuck I am
    when I get lost and need to ask people to get me whereever the fuck I am.

Otherwise it NEVER gets used.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasylife View Post
    My honeymoon phase ended the first night I set foot in my apartment, but I'm not homesick. I think what has helped keep homesickness at bay is the experience of having lived abroad before and also knowing I'll be outta Japan for good next year.
    You are a ray of sunshine aren't you? Bet you're popular at school.

Every time I go to Tokyo, I realize how much I get stuck in my own inaka-hole lifestyle in the middle of Tokyo. Maybe I should look for some jobs closer to a metropolitan center. Even if it's just for the food culture...

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasylife View Post
    My honeymoon phase ended the first night I set foot in my apartment
    *hugs*

We are here for you.

Getting homesick would require feeling something other than numb inside.

Getting homesick would require you liking your home. I get homesick when I'm living near home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Texas hate is like when people hate Comic Sans or Papyrus. They do it because everyone else does it.

Because everyone is sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Texas hate is like when people hate Comic Sans or Papyrus. They do it because everyone else does it.

Because everyone is sheep.
    Is this in the wrong thread? It's related to my post, but the actual Texas hate is elsewhere. I didn't hate Texas specifically here - just the place I'm from. Texas is a big place man.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Is this in the wrong thread? It's related to my post, but the actual Texas hate is elsewhere. I didn't hate Texas specifically here - just the place I'm from. Texas is a big place man.
    Huh. I guess I did.

No, I get that.

I often find my self saying things like 'Texas is a great place to live' and 'I really like Texas, actually'.
    Texas-bashing is just fashionable at the moment, is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    I wouldn't recommend torturing yourself by watching Japanese TV (I certainly wish I didn't have to) but have you tried watching any movies in Japanese? I used to practice my listening by renting movies in Japanese that I'd already seen in English since I could understand the plot without subtitles or use only Japanese subtitles.

You could play games in Japanese too, but that might require some investment since some systems are region locked. Second hand DS Lites are super cheap here and are region free so you can play any DS games (except 3DS) in Japanese or English. Used DS games are super cheap too.
    Yeah I basically keep it on as background noise, though I like the history shows where they go in depth on strategy and such. I've been playing GTA V, the Witcher 3, and the Halo collection in Japanese on my xbox one. I have trouble understanding what is going in the Witcher at times but the others I do ok with. I would get a DS but since I don't take a train or anything to work I wouldn't have much time where I would play it, might pick one up before I go on a bus trip or something though.

I know if I bought a ps4/xbone, I'd never leave the house!

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post

Texas-bashing is just fashionable at the moment, is all.
    Yeah, and I do frequently find myself defending it. At the same time, there's a lot of stuff to hate. Mostly the ubiquity of religious zealots.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

I feel like I've barely experienced homesickness, but I think being in Tokyo helps with that. There's so many expats here that you can afford to be more selective in regards to who you hang out with.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    You are a ray of sunshine aren't you? Bet you're popular at school.
    Actually I am

Lots of smiles, lots of hellos, a number of gifts from faculty and students.

I might be a sourpuss on here but I know how to keep that shit in check at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    The only time I use the phone part of my phone is:
    When delivery people call me asking me where the fuck I am
    When school calls me and asks me where the fuck I am
    when I get lost and need to ask people to get me whereever the fuck I am.

Otherwise it NEVER gets used.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    I feel like I've barely experienced homesickness, but I think being in Tokyo helps with that.
    The more I hear about your JET experience, the more jealous I become.

I would imagine I'm not the only one.