Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 90

Thread: What do you do when you get homesick?

  1. #21
    Looking for some chaw acpc2203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,511

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    I'm trying to get into a daily routine, it has been pretty successful outside of the part where I'm supposed to study Japanese instead of watching TV or playing video games. And going out to some restaurants near you is a good idea, found a nice coffee shop and a crepe place just wandering around in my town.

  2. #22
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Jogging and biking always put me in a really good mood. They allowed me to explore my little city and it kind of made it feel like home.

    Also, go out for beers with friends! Like Mr. Charisma said, try not to pick the miserable pricks who will just bitch and complain either (that's what ITIL is for).

    Go see a movie! I was lucky because I had a nice theatre about five minutes away from me, and I would go see movies from time to time. I'd go to the arcade first from time to time, and sometimes one of my students would embarrass me by licking me at that drum game.

    Oooh, try a new restaurant too. I liked doing that.

    Finally, if you have any "happy" movies or shows, watch those. Some of the shows and movies that make me happy are the Haratio Hornblower series, Dredd, the Sharpe series, the Running Man, Master and Commander and Conan (the Arnie version of course).
    Last edited by johnny; October 23rd, 2015 at 17:14.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  3. #23
    Member Saga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ehime
    Posts
    83

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    For me, what seems to help is watching some American TV/movies, eating food I really like, and going to visit my former host family as often as I can. People who know and like me! Wow, what a nice feeling.

    Meanwhile, I'm working on trying to make connections in my town. Hanging out with coworkers, and (oddly enough) parents from the PTA really lifts my spirits.

  4. #24
    Crustacean Sensation Ebi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    I'll be honest, homesickness never really hit me hard. I think a big part of that is because I call home every weekend and occasionally chat with people back home via FB, so I still feel connected. Moving away for college probably helped me prepare for JET too since I got to experience the shock of being physically isolated from friends and family without also going through culture shock. It was a lot easier moving to Japan in some ways since I no longer had high expectations for anyone to go out of their way to keep in touch.

    Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    I'm trying to get into a daily routine, it has been pretty successful outside of the part where I'm supposed to study Japanese instead of watching TV or playing video games. And going out to some restaurants near you is a good idea, found a nice coffee shop and a crepe place just wandering around in my town.
    I wouldn't recommend torturing yourself by watching Japanese TV (I certainly wish I didn't have to) but have you tried watching any movies in Japanese? I used to practice my listening by renting movies in Japanese that I'd already seen in English since I could understand the plot without subtitles or use only Japanese subtitles.

    You could play games in Japanese too, but that might require some investment since some systems are region locked. Second hand DS Lites are super cheap here and are region free so you can play any DS games (except 3DS) in Japanese or English. Used DS games are super cheap too.

  5. #25
    Senior Member ambrosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Minnesota->Mie
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    I've definitely finished the honeymoon phase as well, but over a month ago. Culture shock comes quicker out here in the inaka.
    However, there is a lot too do. I go on photo hunts and drive around a random area I've been curious about and take photos.

    I do have to say that I've felt significantly less homesick since my schools began inviting me to do things (fishing, field trips, etc). Ask how you can get involved.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Fantasylife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Happily a former JET
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    My honeymoon phase ended the first night I set foot in my apartment, but I'm not homesick. I think what has helped keep homesickness at bay is the experience of having lived abroad before and also knowing I'll be outta Japan for good next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    The only time I use the phone part of my phone is:
    When delivery people call me asking me where the fuck I am
    When school calls me and asks me where the fuck I am
    when I get lost and need to ask people to get me whereever the fuck I am.

    Otherwise it NEVER gets used.

  7. #27

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasylife View Post
    My honeymoon phase ended the first night I set foot in my apartment, but I'm not homesick. I think what has helped keep homesickness at bay is the experience of having lived abroad before and also knowing I'll be outta Japan for good next year.
    You are a ray of sunshine aren't you? Bet you're popular at school.

  8. #28

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Every time I go to Tokyo, I realize how much I get stuck in my own inaka-hole lifestyle in the middle of Tokyo. Maybe I should look for some jobs closer to a metropolitan center. Even if it's just for the food culture...

  9. #29
    The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasylife View Post
    My honeymoon phase ended the first night I set foot in my apartment
    *hugs*

    We are here for you.

  10. #30
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,351

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Getting homesick would require feeling something other than numb inside.

  11. #31
    Fit via vi Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Getting homesick would require you liking your home. I get homesick when I'm living near home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

  12. #32

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Texas hate is like when people hate Comic Sans or Papyrus. They do it because everyone else does it.

    Because everyone is sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  13. #33
    Fit via vi Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Texas hate is like when people hate Comic Sans or Papyrus. They do it because everyone else does it.

    Because everyone is sheep.
    Is this in the wrong thread? It's related to my post, but the actual Texas hate is elsewhere. I didn't hate Texas specifically here - just the place I'm from. Texas is a big place man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

  14. #34

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Is this in the wrong thread? It's related to my post, but the actual Texas hate is elsewhere. I didn't hate Texas specifically here - just the place I'm from. Texas is a big place man.
    Huh. I guess I did.

    No, I get that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    I often find my self saying things like 'Texas is a great place to live' and 'I really like Texas, actually'.
    Texas-bashing is just fashionable at the moment, is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  15. #35
    Looking for some chaw acpc2203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,511

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    I wouldn't recommend torturing yourself by watching Japanese TV (I certainly wish I didn't have to) but have you tried watching any movies in Japanese? I used to practice my listening by renting movies in Japanese that I'd already seen in English since I could understand the plot without subtitles or use only Japanese subtitles.

    You could play games in Japanese too, but that might require some investment since some systems are region locked. Second hand DS Lites are super cheap here and are region free so you can play any DS games (except 3DS) in Japanese or English. Used DS games are super cheap too.
    Yeah I basically keep it on as background noise, though I like the history shows where they go in depth on strategy and such. I've been playing GTA V, the Witcher 3, and the Halo collection in Japanese on my xbox one. I have trouble understanding what is going in the Witcher at times but the others I do ok with. I would get a DS but since I don't take a train or anything to work I wouldn't have much time where I would play it, might pick one up before I go on a bus trip or something though.

  16. #36

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    I know if I bought a ps4/xbone, I'd never leave the house!

  17. #37
    Fit via vi Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post



    Texas-bashing is just fashionable at the moment, is all.
    Yeah, and I do frequently find myself defending it. At the same time, there's a lot of stuff to hate. Mostly the ubiquity of religious zealots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

  18. #38
    Senior Member Lorenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    309

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    I feel like I've barely experienced homesickness, but I think being in Tokyo helps with that. There's so many expats here that you can afford to be more selective in regards to who you hang out with.

  19. #39
    Senior Member Fantasylife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Happily a former JET
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    You are a ray of sunshine aren't you? Bet you're popular at school.
    Actually I am

    Lots of smiles, lots of hellos, a number of gifts from faculty and students.

    I might be a sourpuss on here but I know how to keep that shit in check at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    The only time I use the phone part of my phone is:
    When delivery people call me asking me where the fuck I am
    When school calls me and asks me where the fuck I am
    when I get lost and need to ask people to get me whereever the fuck I am.

    Otherwise it NEVER gets used.

  20. #40
    The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    I feel like I've barely experienced homesickness, but I think being in Tokyo helps with that.
    The more I hear about your JET experience, the more jealous I become.

    I would imagine I'm not the only one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •