Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you get homesick?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

If you knew all the shit relative to living in the inaka, I'm sure you wouldn't be jealous. The more I hear about Tokyo jets, the happier I ended up in a 70k city on the other coast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    If you knew all the shit relative to living in the inaka, I'm sure you wouldn't be jealous. The more I hear about Tokyo jets, the happier I ended up in a 70k city on the other coast.
    Same. I'm not inaka, but I'm very happy I got my placement instead of Tokyo. It's nice to visit, but I don't think I'd ever want to live there.

(But different strokes for different folks. Obviously Tokyo appeals to a lot of people.)

Could we stop raining on Lorenzo's parade please. If we were all offered transfers to Tokyo tomorrow 90% of us would take it without even thinking twice.

I wouldn't. Duck that shit. Living in Tokyo on our pay is just stupid. Much better in the sticks. Unless of course you can't live without going to a club.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    And fuck my school. Shoulda left 2 years ago.
    I think we all say that after year four.

I. would, because bars and young people. And fuck my school. Shoulda left 2 years ago.
    Jiggit is the 10%! Get him!!

I wouldn't. Duck that shit. Living in Tokyo on our pay is just stupid.
    I can understand preferring to be in the boonies if that's what you like, but that's ridiculous. I pay 72000 a month in rent (not including other apartment expenses), and I feel like I have more money than I've ever had. If you're supporting someone else, I imagine it's different, but there are people who make considerably less than the ~240000 a month we make and do fine. Living in Tokyo on the JET wage is comfortable.

Where as I pay 11000 a month, drop about 15000 into my car, and go out and have fun with the rest.

Damn 72000 minus utilities? Is it a little shoebox thing? That sounds shitty to me, but you're right it's still doable all things considered.

What are the residents taxes in Tokyo? Do the BoEs still pay those on the new contracts?

re: the main topic

If you have nothing else to pay for and are just coming out of uni, I'm sure the pay seems grand. If you want to actually build a life, it ain't much.

I wouldn't say inaka living is the only way to do it. I'd really have enjoyed being closer to a decent-sized city. However, I would not have enjoyed a Tokyo placement, I think.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Where as I pay 11000 a month, drop about 15000 into my car, and go out and have fun with the rest.
    I'm sure you do mate. Obviously you have more disposable income than me, but you said that living in Tokyo on our pay is stupid, and that is in no way true.

@weep - Yeah, it's a tiny shoebox, but I'm hardly ever there so I'm not too bothered.

15000 a month on the car seems suspiciously low to me.....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    @weep - Yeah, it's a tiny shoebox, but I'm hardly ever there so I'm not too bothered.
    Yeah I do too, but I think it's a lot less terrorizing when I know I'm not paying upwards of 7 man for it at the end of the month lol. I guess you Tokyo people are actually IN the city, so there's no way to escape it. I'm 30min outside of the city here with some pretty generous subsidies for my shoebox... maybe not as generous as Gizmo's 1 man rent, but ya know. There's definitely a bit of a price tag with every urban placement, but I can't say I mind it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    15000 a month on the car seems suspiciously low to me.....
    Gas. Unit is purchased, and random parts failures is another issue entirely...

I really like where I am, pretty much everything I need is in my town or the small city which is next to it. If I need anything more there are larger cities like 30 minutes away. Just need to find the right bar and I'm good to go.

Yeah, getting sorta back on topic here, to be honest the bars are a huge part of why I love being in a suburb. I'm sure it's like this with inaka too, but they're really small and home-y. In the city you've got 'small' bars, too, but they're almost always super packed. I've gotten to know a few bartenders in my suburb really well, though. One of them lived around where I'm from for a long time, so her English is great and it's nice to talk about things from home with her. She's like my Japanese mom who sells me too much beer....

For the bar thing it really just depends on where in the city you live. Sure, if when you say Tokyo you mean the area around Shibuya, then, sure, it's gonna be crowded. But if you live in or travel to a less bustling part of the city you can easily find the smaller, more rural style bar experience.
    I live in a rather populous area but it's usually me and a handful of regulars at my favorite bar on my thursday night drinking sessions.

Gas. Unit is purchased, and random parts failures is another issue entirely...
    Even so..... That's only like a tank and a half of gas a month not including your insurance. I thought all you young JETs were off traveling every weekend?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Are we seriously spending our time pondering what gizmo does to "go out and have fun"?

Might as well ask what Gezora thinks about Japanese women or what Haitch thinks about women.