Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 90

Thread: What do you do when you get homesick?

  1. #61

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    For the bar thing it really just depends on where in the city you live. Sure, if when you say Tokyo you mean the area around Shibuya, then, sure, it's gonna be crowded. But if you live in or travel to a less bustling part of the city you can easily find the smaller, more rural style bar experience.
    I live in a rather populous area but it's usually me and a handful of regulars at my favorite bar on my thursday night drinking sessions.
    True, I'm sure if you look around you can still find that experience in the city, but IMO it's nice having easy access to that without dealing with train/city crowds when you're not up for it.
    Last edited by weepinbell; October 27th, 2015 at 16:17.

  2. #62
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,070

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Even so..... That's only like a tank and a half of gas a month not including your insurance. I thought all you young JETs were off traveling every weekend?
    Insurance? LOL

    And ya... I don't travel on weekends, I drink. A lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  3. #63
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    If you knew all the shit relative to living in the inaka, I'm sure you wouldn't be jealous. The more I hear about Tokyo jets, the happier I ended up in a 70k city on the other coast.
    Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  4. #64

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    I read this thread about people being homesick and can't help but feel that I'm somehow broken inside.



    I do miss seeing family more often, I guess...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  5. #65

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    I read this thread about people being homesick and can't help but feel that I'm somehow broken inside.



    I do miss seeing family more often, I guess...
    Don't worry, buddy, you're as normal as I am!

  6. #66

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  7. #67

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    I read this thread about people being homesick and can't help but feel that I'm somehow broken inside.



    I do miss seeing family more often, I guess...
    I don't get homesick for people. Well, I guess I want to see a couple members of my family, but all-in-all the last couple years of living on the far side of the planet have been good for me.

    I do get homesick for food - cheap Mexican? Oh yeah. Shitty quality pizza with American style toppings? Even more.

  8. #68
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,351

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Being unable to make close connections to family and friends is a hallmark of JETs.

  9. #69
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,070

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Being unable to make close connections to family and friends is a hallmark of JETs.
    Funny,

    I always find there are two types of ALTs for friends/family.
    1) I NEED TO SKYPE YOU EVERY NIGHT CUZ THE WORLD HAS CHANGED IN THE LAST TWO HOURS... not here of course... BUT YOU NEED TO TELL ME EVERYTHING ABOUT BACK HOME OMG WTF BBQ
    2)Ya bro, when I see ya, I see ya.

    It's not about being unable to make close connections, more that I think those "distant" ALTs just are confident in the friendships and connections they have that they don't need to give them daily maintenance.

    Also what I wouldn't give for a bar with more than one type of beer on tap from more than one manufacturer....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  10. #70

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    I think it's mostly either people who are weirdly distant from their families and think that's normal in this day and age or people who are actively running away from them.

  11. #71

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    I think it's mostly either people who are weirdly distant from their families and think that's normal in this day and age or people who are actively running away from them.
    Mostly? That's a pretty big generalisation!

  12. #72
    Looking for some chaw acpc2203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,511

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Also what I wouldn't give for a bar with more than one type of beer on tap from more than one manufacturer....
    I found a great bar, but it is in a city that is an hour away, had THREE beers on tap including Guiness. Good food too. Nice for a monthly visit though.

  13. #73

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Also what I wouldn't give for a bar with more than one type of beer on tap from more than one manufacturer....
    Like they have in big cities, you mean?

  14. #74

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    a pretty big generalisation!
    Fun Fact #178: Giz calls his penis A Pretty Big Generalization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  15. #75
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,070

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Like they have in big cities, you mean?
    Ya... but somehow having to travel to get that experience basically invalidates it to me. I want it local damnit...

    Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Fun Fact #178: Giz calls his penis A Pretty Big Generalization.
    DO I EVER!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  16. #76

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Ya... but somehow having to travel to get that experience basically invalidates it to me. I want it local damnit...
    Imagine living in a big city! You'd be able to go without travelling at all!

  17. #77
    Fit via vi Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    I think it's mostly either people who are weirdly distant from their families and think that's normal in this day and age or people who are actively running away from them.
    Somewhere in my life I realized that family is just obligatory friends. If you had nothing in common with someone and constantly fought, why would you continue being friends with them? I don't get family. I don't owe you anything because you did a normal thing that normal humans do (and apparently can't resist, ya fucking horn dogs)

    With that said I have a relatively healthy, if distant relationship with my family. I'm a loner through and through - so I don't need someone constantly propping me up emotionally or financially. This probably came from necessity since my family is both emotionally and financially destitute.

    Family is not required for a fulfilling life. Rant over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

  18. #78

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Somewhere in my life I realized that family is just obligatory friends. If you had nothing in common with someone and constantly fought, why would you continue being friends with them? I don't get family. I don't owe you anything because you did a normal thing that normal humans do (and apparently can't resist, ya fucking horn dogs)

    With that said I have a relatively healthy, if distant relationship with my family. I'm a loner through and through - so I don't need someone constantly propping me up emotionally or financially. This probably came from necessity since my family is both emotionally and financially destitute.

    Family is not required for a fulfilling life. Rant over.
    There are two kinds of family. Family of birth, and family of choice.

    My family of birth includes people with scary levels of bi-polar. A neurotic, manipulative pair of mother figures. Religious nutjobs. You name it.

    My bipolar brother is dangerous, and has been dangerous at me in the past. My mom, for whatever reason thinks that when she's dead and gone that I have to "take care of him," and when I tell her its not happening she gets upset because "he's family!" No. Just because you also gave birth to him does not mean that I am obligated to be his crutch to support him for when he refuses to medicate himself and beats his girlfriends up. It's not my job to offer my home up to my mother, who tells me that because I'm the only successful child of hers that I'm going to buy her a house when I'm older. I'm not obligated to listen to my grandmother tell me that I'm an awful child because I wont listen to her telling me that I'm an awful child.

    No, I'm sorry. I didn't ask to get born in this situation. I'm not obligated to support these people just because my mother chose to have me and raise me.

    Besides, the whole saying goes, "the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb."

    Edit: Guys, I'm sorry. I didn't bring my coffee with me this morning I'm way angrier than I usually am.
    Last edited by Ananasboat; October 29th, 2015 at 13:37.

  19. #79

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    What is happening?

  20. #80
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,351

    Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

    I didn't make my comment to be mean. The amount of JETs with a relationship with their family that lies somewhere between disinterested and open hatred is large enough it can't be coincidence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •