Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you get homesick?

Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    For the bar thing it really just depends on where in the city you live. Sure, if when you say Tokyo you mean the area around Shibuya, then, sure, it's gonna be crowded. But if you live in or travel to a less bustling part of the city you can easily find the smaller, more rural style bar experience.
    I live in a rather populous area but it's usually me and a handful of regulars at my favorite bar on my thursday night drinking sessions.
    True, I'm sure if you look around you can still find that experience in the city, but IMO it's nice having easy access to that without dealing with train/city crowds when you're not up for it.
    Last edited by weepinbell; October 27th, 2015 at 16:17.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Even so..... That's only like a tank and a half of gas a month not including your insurance. I thought all you young JETs were off traveling every weekend?
    Insurance? LOL

And ya... I don't travel on weekends, I drink. A lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    If you knew all the shit relative to living in the inaka, I'm sure you wouldn't be jealous. The more I hear about Tokyo jets, the happier I ended up in a 70k city on the other coast.
    Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

I read this thread about people being homesick and can't help but feel that I'm somehow broken inside.

I do miss seeing family more often, I guess...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    I read this thread about people being homesick and can't help but feel that I'm somehow broken inside.

Don't worry, buddy, you're as normal as I am!

But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

I don't get homesick for people. Well, I guess I want to see a couple members of my family, but all-in-all the last couple years of living on the far side of the planet have been good for me.

I do get homesick for food - cheap Mexican? Oh yeah. Shitty quality pizza with American style toppings? Even more.

Being unable to make close connections to family and friends is a hallmark of JETs.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Being unable to make close connections to family and friends is a hallmark of JETs.
    Funny,

I always find there are two types of ALTs for friends/family.
    1) I NEED TO SKYPE YOU EVERY NIGHT CUZ THE WORLD HAS CHANGED IN THE LAST TWO HOURS... not here of course... BUT YOU NEED TO TELL ME EVERYTHING ABOUT BACK HOME OMG WTF BBQ
    2)Ya bro, when I see ya, I see ya.

It's not about being unable to make close connections, more that I think those "distant" ALTs just are confident in the friendships and connections they have that they don't need to give them daily maintenance.

Also what I wouldn't give for a bar with more than one type of beer on tap from more than one manufacturer....

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I think it's mostly either people who are weirdly distant from their families and think that's normal in this day and age or people who are actively running away from them.

I think it's mostly either people who are weirdly distant from their families and think that's normal in this day and age or people who are actively running away from them.
    Mostly? That's a pretty big generalisation!

Also what I wouldn't give for a bar with more than one type of beer on tap from more than one manufacturer....
    I found a great bar, but it is in a city that is an hour away, had THREE beers on tap including Guiness. Good food too. Nice for a monthly visit though.

Like they have in big cities, you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    a pretty big generalisation!
    Fun Fact #178: Giz calls his penis A Pretty Big Generalization.

U da real mvp.

Like they have in big cities, you mean?
    Ya... but somehow having to travel to get that experience basically invalidates it to me. I want it local damnit...

Fun Fact #178: Giz calls his penis A Pretty Big Generalization.
    DO I EVER!

Ya... but somehow having to travel to get that experience basically invalidates it to me. I want it local damnit...
    Imagine living in a big city! You'd be able to go without travelling at all!

Somewhere in my life I realized that family is just obligatory friends. If you had nothing in common with someone and constantly fought, why would you continue being friends with them? I don't get family. I don't owe you anything because you did a normal thing that normal humans do (and apparently can't resist, ya fucking horn dogs)

With that said I have a relatively healthy, if distant relationship with my family. I'm a loner through and through - so I don't need someone constantly propping me up emotionally or financially. This probably came from necessity since my family is both emotionally and financially destitute.

Family is not required for a fulfilling life. Rant over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Somewhere in my life I realized that family is just obligatory friends. If you had nothing in common with someone and constantly fought, why would you continue being friends with them? I don't get family. I don't owe you anything because you did a normal thing that normal humans do (and apparently can't resist, ya fucking horn dogs)

With that said I have a relatively healthy, if distant relationship with my family. I'm a loner through and through - so I don't need someone constantly propping me up emotionally or financially. This probably came from necessity since my family is both emotionally and financially destitute.

Family is not required for a fulfilling life. Rant over.
    There are two kinds of family. Family of birth, and family of choice.

My family of birth includes people with scary levels of bi-polar. A neurotic, manipulative pair of mother figures. Religious nutjobs. You name it.

My bipolar brother is dangerous, and has been dangerous at me in the past. My mom, for whatever reason thinks that when she's dead and gone that I have to "take care of him," and when I tell her its not happening she gets upset because "he's family!" No. Just because you also gave birth to him does not mean that I am obligated to be his crutch to support him for when he refuses to medicate himself and beats his girlfriends up. It's not my job to offer my home up to my mother, who tells me that because I'm the only successful child of hers that I'm going to buy her a house when I'm older. I'm not obligated to listen to my grandmother tell me that I'm an awful child because I wont listen to her telling me that I'm an awful child.

No, I'm sorry. I didn't ask to get born in this situation. I'm not obligated to support these people just because my mother chose to have me and raise me.

Besides, the whole saying goes, "the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb."

Edit: Guys, I'm sorry. I didn't bring my coffee with me this morning I'm way angrier than I usually am.
    Last edited by Ananasboat; October 29th, 2015 at 13:37.

What is happening?

I didn't make my comment to be mean. The amount of JETs with a relationship with their family that lies somewhere between disinterested and open hatred is large enough it can't be coincidence.