Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What do you do when you get homesick?

Default Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    What is happening?
    Shit got real man. I'm beginning to see a pattern coalesce.

Edit: Yeah moosey beat me to it. He's probably right.
    Last edited by Virgil; October 29th, 2015 at 13:43.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I didn't make my comment to be mean. The amount of JETs with a relationship with their family that lies somewhere between disinterested and open hatred is large enough it can't be coincidence.
    At least in my case I've left the country to be my own person outside the grips of my family. I can imagine that other people share that desire.

Sorry for going all "I need therapy but wont admit that in Japan" on you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Family is not required for a fulfilling life. Rant over.
    Being able to cut people off who you've developed a relationship with for probably more than 2 decades is pretty weird. They're human beings who you've had an intimate social relationship with for longer than anyone else, probably. I mean, I realise I'm lucky. I think my dad is one of the kindest, most intelligent men I've ever met. My mother is a caring, hardworking and hilarious human being who I respect infinitely. But even my sister who's been a dumbass and a pain in the ass for most of the past 5 years is someone I care about. Even if they have flaws, even if they have a lot of flaws, wanting to cut them off is stranger than wanting to maintain a relationship with them, regardless of blood relations or whatever.

It's like you guys think it's par for the course that everyone's families are made up of terrible people and we're only sticking with them because society tells us to. Like mothy is saying, you (and other JETs) are the odd ones out here.

Ya I love my family!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    It's like you guys think it's par for the course that everyone's families are made up of terrible people and we're only sticking with them because society tells us to. Like mothy is saying, you (and other JETs) are the odd ones out here.
    I don't think any of us are saying that all families are dysfunctional. I'm saying that mine is and that's why I don't like being around them, and there are probably other people who do as well.

I'm pretty jealous of the whole, "my family is perfect" people. If my whole family was like my dad's side of the family, life would be grand. In fact, I get along splendidly with my dad's side.

My immediate family is great, but my extended family is kind of "meh". But it really shocked me to find out how many of my friends came from "dysfunctional families". Virtually all of my friends in high school had absentee parents, parents that had messy divorces, or just awful parents. My closest friend in elementary school was raised by her crazy grandparents since her dad murdered her mom.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    My immediate family is great
    Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    Ya I love my family!
    I'd like to believe you are in the minority, it's what's letting me sleep at night anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    There are two kinds of family. Family of birth, and family of choice.

My family of birth includes people with scary levels of bi-polar. A neurotic, manipulative pair of mother figures. Religious nutjobs. You name it.

My bipolar brother is dangerous, and has been dangerous at me in the past. My mom, for whatever reason thinks that when she's dead and gone that I have to "take care of him," and when I tell her its not happening she gets upset because "he's family!" No. Just because you also gave birth to him does not mean that I am obligated to be his crutch to support him for when he refuses to medicate himself and beats his girlfriends up. It's not my job to offer my home up to my mother, who tells me that because I'm the only successful child of hers that I'm going to buy her a house when I'm older. I'm not obligated to listen to my grandmother tell me that I'm an awful child because I wont listen to her telling me that I'm an awful child.

No, I'm sorry. I didn't ask to get born in this situation. I'm not obligated to support these people just because my mother chose to have me and raise me.

Besides, the whole saying goes, "the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb."

Edit: Guys, I'm sorry. I didn't bring my coffee with me this morning I'm way angrier than I usually am.
    Chat to your boyfriend if you want to feel better. Your situation is like The Brady Bunch compared to the average Glaswegian family.

Being able to cut people off who you've developed a relationship with for probably more than 2 decades is pretty weird. They're human beings who you've had an intimate social relationship with for longer than anyone else, probably. I mean, I realise I'm lucky. I think my dad is one of the kindest, most intelligent men I've ever met. My mother is a caring, hardworking and hilarious human being who I respect infinitely. But even my sister who's been a dumbass and a pain in the ass for most of the past 5 years is someone I care about. Even if they have flaws, even if they have a lot of flaws, wanting to cut them off is stranger than wanting to maintain a relationship with them, regardless of blood relations or whatever.

i thought you came from a broken home?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Chat to your boyfriend if you want to feel better. Your situation is like The Brady Bunch compared to the average Glaswegian family.
    He's told me about his family a bit, and even they seem to get along better than mine. Sorta jealous, tbh.