Thread: Studying Abroad while Applying for JET - transcript?

Default Studying Abroad while Applying for JET - transcript?

Hi!

First time applicant, so sorry if this is a silly question--

So, I'm currently studying abroad in Japan, and have taken on the challenge of applying for JET at the same time.

Quick question, that I've tried to get answered (with no luck) on the JET app portal, is:

Do I need an official transcript from the school I'm studying at right now, or any proof that I'm taking classes at this Japanese school? This is for my official transcript document (not proof of study abroad). Right now, I have my home school transcript, but all it says for this semester is that I'm taking 'one class' which is "Study Abroad in East Asia".

Any one else ever ran into a problem like this? Is it even a problem? Any help would be appreciated immensely~ Thanks!!

-Gabrielle

Default Re: Studying Abroad while Applying for JET - transcript?

You'll be fine if it's on your university transcript. I did two semesters abroad - as long as the basic info was on the transcript, they were satisfied.

If you're going to use your official transcript from your home school, make sure it lists the name and location of your study abroad school, course titles, and your grades. If it doesn't, you might have to request a document from your study abroad school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    If you're going to use your official transcript from your home school, make sure it lists the name and location of your study abroad school, course titles, and your grades. If it doesn't, you might have to request a document from your study abroad school.
    Thank you for your help! Hmm...will I need that document even if I am currently studying abroad? Grades are not posted yet. The only document I can obtain is the classes I'm enrolled in.

Thank you for your help!!

Quote Originally Posted by gabriellem View Post
    Thank you for your help! Hmm...will I need that document even if I am currently studying abroad? Grades are not posted yet. The only document I can obtain is the classes I'm enrolled in.
    Until you graduate/leave that program/get grades, that'll probably suffice. If you get an interview/shortlist, they'll probably want a final transcript. It works the same way with regular transcripts and "proof of graduation."