Thread: Issues with JTE

Default -Resolved

The issue is now resolved.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
    Last edited by itilapprentice; December 8th, 2015 at 11:32. Reason: Resolved

Default Re: Issues with JTE

That all depends. What do you want to happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Welcome to the Japanese workplace. What result do you want? It seems like the guy is well known, so probably bitching behind bis back is totally appropriate to deal with the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Never having had the exact same issue, it is hard for me to say. I had one that was relatively disrespectful, but I out-passive-aggressed him.

You could simply show him the same respect he shows you. In class, refer to him by his first name or 'buddy'. (Or simply mispronounce the name. Think, "Sorry, I have trouble saying the 'J' in 'Junko'."

When he makes an English mistake, ask if he really doesn't know. You can make a real show of fixing it if it happens to be on the board or on a handout.

Of course, all of these have the possible outcome of making things much, much worse. If you're not recontracting, the hilarity might be worth it.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I'd do a little subtle complaining to another teacher under the guise of "have you noticed that JTE B's level of formality changes depending on who he's talking to?" and then let it go. If that didn't fix it, I'd just wait it out and hope he gets transferred in the spring.

Well, for starters, you could try hashing it out 1 on 1. He might feel "threatened" by your presence as a native speaker. How fluent is he in English? But with his apparent personality problems, that probably won't get you anywhere good. Some teachers get incredibly embarrassed when/if they make a mistake in English and an ALT points it out - more than if a student would point it out.

He also probably feels that ALTs are a waste of good school budget, and/or has problems with foreigners. He's definitely holding you to a different standard from others around you.

I'd enlist the support of JTE A. Don't outright complain about him, but at least talk to JTE A and maybe ask JTE A to have a word with JTE B about his conduct. Otherwise, I'd just avoid JTE B whenever possible. If he does anything outright to bully you, then take it up with JTE A and the VP.

I think, to expand on what UTIL and gizmo are saying, you need to decide what outcome you want out of this. It seems like you've handled it pretty well so far, not rising to his provocation and asking others in the office for advice. The most sensible course of action is probably just to ignore him best you can and be the bigger person.

That's not the most satisfying thing to do, of course. I'd like to encourage you to tell this guy to shut up and mind his own business, but that probably won't help in the long run. Teachers may share your distaste for this clown right now, but if you're seen to be picking fights with him or not respecting his seniority then they may well feel that you're both to blame.

Oh and it isn't really a "kohai" thing, as you mentioned. I mean, if he's senior to you, that's how it is; telling him "I'm not your kohai" is probably going to make him sneer at you even more for not respecting Japanese culture because you are a stupid foreigner. The way I read this is that he's got some kind of a problem with ALTs, either through having had a particularly bad one in the past or just because he's an uptight tit who gets his jollies from exercising his tiny modicum of power. There are a lot of people like that in the world in general, and from my experiences a slightly higher proportion in Japan/among Japanese teachers.

In regards to him sniping at you about stuff that is none of his business, my advice is to perfect the silent, blank stare and fix him with it whenever he tells you something unrelated to the classroom. People don't know how to deal with that.

In regards to him sniping at you about stuff that is none of his business, my advice is to perfect the silent, blank stare and fix him with it whenever he tells you something unrelated to the classroom. People don't know how to deal with that.
    This is a good point. If it's not in their job description (ie they're not your supervisor) then unrelated stuff isn't their business.

And on the senpai/kohai thing... it's a vertical power structure in the school - and as a contracted worker you rank pretty close to the bottom. I know I'm about the same as the groundskeeper in terms of respect (in my school, at least, the groundskeeper is pretty well thought of, so it isn't bad - I'm just not a full teacher in the Japanese system.)

It doesn't sound like hes done anything that bad so far.... You can just accept that an older co-worker being a bit of a dick to you is fairly common place. You can get all sensitive about it and complain to others which will probably result in people laughing at you or you can be a bad ass and try and gaijin smash you way out of it which will probably result in everyone hating you. I'd just roll with the punches for the time being if I were you. If it ends up getting worse and you feel he is "bullying you" then maybe have a word with the VP.
    Last edited by Jiggit; October 28th, 2015 at 13:26.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I mean, if he's senior to you, that's how it is; telling him "I'm not your kohai" is probably going to make him sneer at you even more for not respecting Japanese culture because you are a stupid foreigner.
    Yeah, the I'm not your kohai thing is just stupid. Even if you don't want to be his kohai, littleapprentice, you are.

Like others have said, without knowing what you want to accomplish it's impossible to give good advice. But really it doesn't sound like that bad of a situation. It's not like he's your supervisor so you can get away with ignoring him, unless your supervisor or the principal supports what he's saying.

-resolved-
    Last edited by itilapprentice; December 8th, 2015 at 11:33.

What did he say?
    I was thinking specifically of these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by itilapprentice View Post
    On a separate occasion, he generously shared with me that "we are not students" after I had arrived a few minutes late and was walking down the corridor.

I.e just bluntly "Hey, OP. You know this, this and this? Don't do that." End of conversation.
    He may be rude and tactless in manner, but he could be completely right in substance. And as the junior in the work relationship it could make itildentist look bad if he entirely ignored the rude JTE when the JTE was right to say something, just rude in the way he said it.