Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Aspiring US JETs 2016

Default Re: Aspiring US JETs 2016

I've had and kept renewing my driver's license for a while, now. The main use it sees is proof I can drink.
    Never owned a car, but I can totally see one on the horizon after 10 years of public transit as my main mode of getting around. Time and joints are both factors.

edit: kind of need to learn grammar at this point.
    Last edited by fryfry; April 1st, 2016 at 16:11.
    Last edited by Frap; Today at 18:46. Reason: sucker

Junior Member downloadablecontent's Avatar

Hi All!

Short-time lurker here, but decided to join up when I got notice that I've been shortlisted from NYC! Looking forward to making everyone's acquaintance.

Anyone from Maryland? If so you can just convert your American license to a Japanese one thanks the handy agreement they came to a few months ago

Quote Originally Posted by fryfry View Post
    apparently there are workshops for new JETS in June & July
    Really? I went through the Houston packet results day and we get nothing but the pre-orientation workshop the day before we ship out.

You can read sarcasm through the internet, right?

Sidenote, I'm glad someone brought up the Driver's License thing, because I had some questions about that (mostly what needs to get done if we want to renew by April 22nd) and haven't heard back from the big wigs yet.
    Last edited by simplesam; April 2nd, 2016 at 00:34. Reason: Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by simplesam View Post
    Really? I went through the Houston packet results day and we get nothing but the pre-orientation workshop the day before we ship out. Although consider how our coordinator does such a WONDERFUL job of keeping us in the loop, I'm not surprised.
    Many consulates have a Q&A session in the summer a month or two before departure, but most don't have exact dates or locations at this time, which would be why information hasn't been shared.

Also a reminder that JET coordinators read this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

Yeah, thanks for the reminder. I probably shouldn't have an inappropriate outburst on a public site on the internet where it will last forever...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMaru View Post
    NatDoug, my Jamaican town mate will be super disappointed. She has been looking forward to the new arrivals. Where did you hear this info from, if you don't mind my asking?
    Hey BlackMaru, the information I received is from the Japan Embassy in Jamaica. I am still waiting to hear from them officially.

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
    Anyone from Maryland? If so you can just convert your American license to a Japanese one thanks the handy agreement they came to a few months ago
    I'm from Maryland! This is great to know! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
    Why only Maryland? Do you know if this is true for any other states? I'm from Virginia.

Ok...so I am an alternate this year. Great.

Quote Originally Posted by NatDoug View Post
    Ok...so I am an alternate this year. Great.
    Sorry to hear that Nat. :/ Welcome to the alternates club. Don't give up yet, though. Do your paperwork and hang in there for the next few months!

Sorry to hear that Nat. :/ Welcome to the alternates club. Don't give up yet, though. Do your paperwork and hang in there for the next few months!
    Thanks Sam. I am ok with it at this point. I have other things going on right now like grad school applications and other stuff. Hopefully it will be enough to keep me busy.

Quote Originally Posted by JPNLKatie View Post
    Why only Maryland? Do you know if this is true for any other states? I'm from Virginia.
    The powers that be decided that Maryland's test requirements closely matched Japan's. As far as I know I don't think it's for any other states but if it happened for MD then it's possible the embassy is working on it.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Yeah, thanks for the reminder. I probably shouldn't have an inappropriate outburst on a public site on the internet where it will last forever...
    To be fair, that's why most remain anonymous in regards to their real identities.

Not that it wouldn't be hard for someone to find out who I am, mind you.

(With all the information I've provided over the years and whatnot.)

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Because America doesn't have a national license system (cuz of your fucked up belief in WOOO STATES RIGHTS!) they have to validate state by state and it's a right pain in the ass. So you'll need to check the AAA website for which state licenses can be converted and which poor suckers have to take the Japanese driving test.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Because America doesn't have a national license system (cuz of your fucked up belief in WOOO STATES RIGHTS!) they have to validate state by state and it's a right pain in the ass. So you'll need to check the AAA website for which state licenses can be converted and which poor suckers have to take the Japanese driving test.
    All I know is that both San Francisco and Portland, Oregon only required me to take written test to renew my license in spite of the fact that I almost never drive (and do not own a car). If Japan does not afford me the same liberties, I'm afraid that I can only say that's incredibly un-American.
    Last edited by fryfry; April 3rd, 2016 at 14:03.
    Last edited by Frap; Today at 18:46. Reason: sucker

Quote Originally Posted by fryfry View Post
    All I know is that both San Francisco and Portland, Oregon only required me to take written test to renew my license in spite of the fact that I almost never drive (and do not own a car). If Japan does not afford me the same liberties, I'm afraid that I can only say that's incredibly un-American.
    Well I just renewed my license for the first time so I can tell you how it went in my corner of Japan. Note that your experience may vary if you get the blue license right off the bat. I couldn't prove that I'd been driving for more than 6 years prior to coming to Japan because I renewed my license shortly before I left and didn't bring my old license with me, so they gave me a green license which meant I had to use the novice driver magnet/sticker on my car for a year. It didn't really matter anyway since I've barely driven since I got my license, but that's besides the point.

So if you are a novice driver and manage to reach your renewal period three years later without amassing a huge amount of points on your license, you have to go to your local licensing center and apply for a renewal. You should get a notice in the mail and bring that postcard with you. There will probably be a designated window of time when your renewal can take place, so don't miss it. Line up and wait with everyone else. And wait. And line up. And wait. And pay for stuff. And wait. Take a photo. And wait. Eventually you'll get to the last step which is a seminar to remind you of the dangers and rules of driving. The length depends on which kind of renewal you are getting. As a first-timer, I had a long seminar (2 hours, I think?) and had to watch a movie and fill out a private survey assessing my own driving abilities. I didn't have to take a test or turn it in, however. So basically, just follow the rules and the process is easy, but time consuming.

It looks like every consulate may have different rules and/or partnerships when it comes to driving in Japan? From the paperwork that Houston sent us, as long as our license is valid for at least a year after departure, we get an international drivers permit that is valid for a year. I don't know what happens after that, though. Maybe we have to get a Japanese license?

If I have to get a Japanese license by that point of time (assuming I'm upgraded and this is relevant to me), I'll have reached that 6 years driving with a license mark, so I won't be labeled a novice driver (judging by what Ebi wrote). What happens after that, though?

It looks like every consulate may have different rules and/or partnerships when it comes to driving in Japan? From the paperwork that Houston sent us, as long as our license is valid for at least a year after departure, we get an international drivers permit that is valid for a year. I don't know what happens after that, though. Maybe we have to get a Japanese license?

If I have to get a Japanese license by that point of time (assuming I'm upgraded and this is relevant to me), I'll have reached that 6 years driving with a license mark, so I won't be labeled a novice driver (judging by what Ebi wrote). What happens after that, though?
    Yes, you most definitely need to get a Japanese license if you plan to drive beyond one year. Here's a guide about licenses and driving in Japan straight from the US embassy. The only state that has a full license "transfer" agreement with Japan (so far) is Maryland, so you will need to take an easy written test, vision test, and practical test on a closed course to obtain a Japanese license. The practical test can be hit or miss. If you get a nice judge and do everything exactly by the book, you can pass it the first time. If you're rusty or make a mistake or two, it might take several tries. The process can take a fair amount of time and paperwork, but just be thankful that it's still much easier and cheaper than what Japanese people have to do if they want to get a license. There's a guide on this forum about the driver's test too.

I recommend trying for your Japanese license sooner rather than later if you plan to drive at any point in Japan. The process can take longer than you think and the law is very unforgiving toward people who drive on invalid licenses.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what happens after that?" Once you get your Japanese license, it's yours to keep unless you screw up and amass too many penalties (or one big one like drunk driving) or if you forget to renew it and the period of validity lapses.
    Last edited by Ebi; April 3rd, 2016 at 20:33.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

For the record I showed my entire driving history from 16 to 29 from my province to the driving center and while they accepted it it did not automatically give me a blue license either. (Hell it should have given me a gold license as there are no infractions on it either but meh)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.