Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are my chances?

Default What are my chances?

Hello everyone,

I just sent in my application and would like to just gauge everyone's opinion on what would be on my chances of getting into the JET Program.
    1) Senior Graduating in May 2016 with a 2.86 GPA and a degree in Poli Sci Concentration International Relations
    2) 22 yrs Black Female
    3) Works part-time as an Administrative Assistant
    4) Summer 2015 was spent teaching at an English Summer Camp overseas
    5) Cheer Coach for 3yrs
    6) Volunteer with an organization that assists young adults with special needs
    7) Volunteer with local international organization in it's Afrian and Asian departments (which is also how I got to teach overseas for a summer
    8) Volunteer to read to K-5 students
    9) Speak 3 languages (English(Native), French(Reading & Conversation), and Chinese(Basic Conversation)) but no Japanese skill at all....Kanji whaaaaa
    10) I wish to be a TESOL teacher one day in the states after teaching abroad for some years and I think that JET fits perfectly into this plan

I'm afraid that my GPA will hurt me since I did not address it in my SOP because I had so much else to talk about and didn't want to dwell on the negative. I am afraid that since I live in an area that competes with lots of students with top schools I will be overlooked based on my school. I couldn't afford a top ticket school even though I did get into my first two choices, I'd end up hanging myself in debt lol but I think that might hurt me since I didn't go to a name-brand school. My hobbies have nothing to do with Japan (no anime watching or manga reading or karate) but I do have a love of world history and culture. Working in the Asian department with my organization is what sparked my interest in Japan and I touched on this in my SOP. I only spent 2-3 sentences on why Japan and focused mostly on why JET and what I can do for JET based on my past teaching and coaching experiences. Will it hurt me that I didn't talk more about Japan? I've read a lot of SOP's about how ever since a person was 6 they've been in love with Japan but I'm not like that. I think Japan is cool and all but I'm not obsessed, I really am more focused on the opportunity to teach abroad and cultural immersion. What will you say my chances are of getting an interview?

Default Re: What are my chances?

51.3%

I'd say a very good chance of getting an interview as long as your SOP wasn't garbage and then it'll just depend on how your interview goes if you get the job or not. You dont have to have any sort of connection to japan to get it, its not a "who loves japan the most" competition despite what some people seem to think.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

My GPA was below 3.0...

I can't speak any languages other than English...

I'm not white...

I applied out of one of the most competitive cities...

And I don't have any teaching experience....

And I got in.

Mothy's 51.3% sounds about right to me.
    Last edited by Fantasylife; November 7th, 2015 at 11:09.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    The only time I use the phone part of my phone is:
    When delivery people call me asking me where the fuck I am
    When school calls me and asks me where the fuck I am
    when I get lost and need to ask people to get me whereever the fuck I am.

Otherwise it NEVER gets used.

Thanks guys! Would any of you mind if I sent you my sop? I think it might give you better insight on my application. I know that the references are important too so I was careful who I asked. Of course I asked a professor who I've taken for nearly 3 yrs (we have a tight knit polisci dept) but I asked the Project Director/head boss lady of my teaching program overseas to write the 2nd one. Alot of people have had Japanese teachers write theirs is it bad that I didn't do that? Sorry if I sound paranoid I'm just nervous lol

Always go with the most prestigious reference you can. Again it goes back to people thinking its a "who loves Japan the most" contest. I have lost count of the number of times people come on here complaining about not getting a interview/accepted into the program when they were "perfect" for the job and it turns out their references were from some part time Japanese teacher who ran an optional language module at their university and the highlight of their life experiences was being assistant social media manager of their uni's anime club.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Thanks Ini! Could you tell me about your first experience apply to the JET Program?

Thanks In! Could you tell me about your first experience apply to the JET Program?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Less than a 3.0 gpa, I got in. Just sell yourself correctly. There are several black American alts in my prefecture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

You're worrying too much. I literally took years off during my degree for health reasons, failed courses and had a less than impressive GPA. I also had two pages worth of writings about my medical history. I did no extra-curricular actives during my time at university and i also did not work for the years i was at university. However, i majored in Japanese at university, have TESOL qualifications and i have a Japanese wife. I am now a current JET. Just sell your strengths. You need to write a good SOP and get some good references.

*ahem*

I failed a Japanese course and got a D in another and I still got in. I was an alternate the first year I applied but the second year I got in (after being an alternate yet again for a grand total of a week) because of other things on my application, like an online ESL course I took. So yeah, don't worry about your GPA and just focus on what you can offer the program--which sounds like you did.

As far as references go, if there's a "tradition" of JET applicants out of your college, see who (out of the professors who know you) has written the most references. Usually it'll be a Japanese language professor or International Relations professor - but if they don't know you, then you'll probably just get a generic reference. Prestigious is always good, especially in Japan.

Don't worry too much about your GPA. Just have courage! And, they just want to know who you are and what you can offer to the program. I'm one of the alumni JET from many ages ago and was just like in your situation. But, I kept trying....and finally got in! Once you're here in Japan, it will be a complete ball park for you.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

GPA doesn't really matter. As long as your SOP and references are good you're fine, as your extra circular stuff and future seem to align quite nicely.

You have about a 1 in 5 chance of getting an interview (more like 1 in 4 when you weed out people who are rejected cause they fucked up their application), then 50/50 chance after you get your interview.

If you get to the interview stage and get nice people/don't piss them off you should get in just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyKing View Post
    Hello everyone,

I just sent in my application and would like to just gauge everyone's opinion on what would be on my chances of getting into the JET Program.
    1) Senior Graduating in May 2016 with a 2.86 GPA and a degree in Poli Sci Concentration International Relations
    2) 22 yrs Black Female
    3) Works part-time as an Administrative Assistant
    4) Summer 2015 was spent teaching at an English Summer Camp overseas
    5) Cheer Coach for 3yrs
    6) Volunteer with an organization that assists young adults with special needs
    7) Volunteer with local international organization in it's Afrian and Asian departments (which is also how I got to teach overseas for a summer
    8) Volunteer to read to K-5 students
    9) Speak 3 languages (English(Native), French(Reading & Conversation), and Chinese(Basic Conversation)) but no Japanese skill at all....Kanji whaaaaa
    10) I wish to be a TESOL teacher one day in the states after teaching abroad for some years and I think that JET fits perfectly into this plan

I'm afraid that my GPA will hurt me since I did not address it in my SOP because I had so much else to talk about and didn't want to dwell on the negative. I am afraid that since I live in an area that competes with lots of students with top schools I will be overlooked based on my school. I couldn't afford a top ticket school even though I did get into my first two choices, I'd end up hanging myself in debt lol but I think that might hurt me since I didn't go to a name-brand school. My hobbies have nothing to do with Japan (no anime watching or manga reading or karate) but I do have a love of world history and culture. Working in the Asian department with my organization is what sparked my interest in Japan and I touched on this in my SOP. I only spent 2-3 sentences on why Japan and focused mostly on why JET and what I can do for JET based on my past teaching and coaching experiences. Will it hurt me that I didn't talk more about Japan? I've read a lot of SOP's about how ever since a person was 6 they've been in love with Japan but I'm not like that. I think Japan is cool and all but I'm not obsessed, I really am more focused on the opportunity to teach abroad and cultural immersion. What will you say my chances are of getting an interview?
    With the US dollar being as high as it is, this will bring you a salary in US dollar terms less than $30,000. This would be great for a Canadian since the exchange rate is so bad it would be a great salary for any Canadian but I don't know if it would be good for American graduates when converting the money back into US dollars.

How important is it to have an ESL background? I'm majoring in economics and international studies (with a concentration on South East Asia) and minoring in Japanese. Will this make up for no teaching background?

It's not important. Calm down!
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    It could happen. 1/100.

For JET? It really doesn't matter what you study.