Thread: Application mess up

Default Application mess up

Hello from Australia!

Hope you are all doing well
    I submitted my application a couple of days ago and forgot to paperclip the sets together. My stomach dropped when I remembered because I had been so careful with everything else..

I also didn't include the envelopes of my references because it never said to.. So I took them out incase it would be a hassle.

I know someone else did the same as me with the paper clips and asked the Official JET Programme USA Facebook page, who said it would not be held against her application in any way.

I'm just hoping mine won't get thrown out or disregarded due to paper clips and envelops.

What do you guys think?

Default Re: Application mess up

If your friend has emailed with the same issue, then I'm sure it won't be a problem for you.

Also regarding the envelopes, if they didn't explicitly express you HAD to include envelopes then I am sure that will not be a problem either. In the UK, we had to submit both references in sealed envelopes, signed across the seal to prove we haven't seen or tampered with them, and that was pretty explicit on the guidance.

So yeah, I am pretty sure they would have said to you if you HAD to have something like that done.

Then again - if you're worried, check in and ask them better safe than sorry. Or at least, stressed.

Good luck!

You forgot the paperclips? You're screwed. That's the single most important thing.

Also applying from Australia. I think the JET desk here are pretty reasonable. They called me asking me to resubmit a form based on a tiny mistake (not my fault), so I don't think they will hold tiny mistakes against you after you have went to so much effort compiling. If you're too worried, just call and see if you can clear it up.

In regards to the envelopes, I didn't include any, because that wasn't required as far as I know. The checklist states to include the references as part of the application package, with the reference form stapled to the front.
    Last edited by thecatalyst; November 11th, 2015 at 16:15.

They won't hold it against you. In fact, if there is a problem, they'll probably contact you to get it resolved ASAP. You could pre-emptively contact the consulate you submitted through, just in case.

Even big mistakes won't be held against you. I forgot to sign one page on my application, as well as somehow sending my book of stamps along in the packet (still don't know how I managed that.) Still got an interview, still got a position. They contacted me less than 24 hours after I sent in my packet, had it fixed with plenty of time remaining before the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    You forgot the paperclips? You're screwed. That's the single most important thing.
    One of the primary purposes of JET is to address the crippling paper clip shortage in Japan by getting applicants to mail paper clips to the embassies.
    Same reason all applicants granted an interview are required to bring a stick of butter with them.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    One of the primary purposes of JET is to address the crippling paper clip shortage in Japan by getting applicants to mail paper clips to the embassies.
    Same reason all applicants granted an interview are required to bring a stick of butter with them.
    One guy at my embassy got turned away because he brought margarine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    The only time I use the phone part of my phone is:
    When delivery people call me asking me where the fuck I am
    When school calls me and asks me where the fuck I am
    when I get lost and need to ask people to get me whereever the fuck I am.

Otherwise it NEVER gets used.

Along the same line, you should make sure to address how you're planning to directly contribute to solving the birthrate crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasylife View Post
    One guy at my embassy got turned away because he brought margarine.
    Well it does clearly say to bring butter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dululu View Post
    Mine was sitting in an izakaya (the only foreigners) and absent-mindedly playing with this miniature Buddha.

The waitress came over 1 minute later she was back. Beers? No, we're ok. 1 minute later, back again looking angry.

Turns out the miniature buddha was the button thing to call the waitress over and I was pressing its head repeatedly.