Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So who here's going for the second (or more) attempt this year?

Default Re: So who here's going for the second (or more) attempt this year?

I'm wondering why it matters to you, I suppose. I don't care if my school never has another ALT again tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Ah, yeah I see now. I think the important thing we agree on is that it makes no sense. I'm sure it's an archaic system that hasn't been reviewed because people like to have arbitrary deadlines.
    I wouldnt call it arbitrary. How else would you organise it?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    I wouldnt call it arbitrary. How else would you organise it?
    Maybe not arbitrary. I think most people agree that the time schedule for JET is at best awkward. I know they do it to accommodate recent college grads, but it seems like a vestige of a time passed.

I'm not going to brainstorm a better schedule, but why is it necessary to have such a significant 8 month dead zone where schools can't get an ALT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

I'm not going to brainstorm a better schedule
    Worst ALT evar.

best thing for everyone would be for gizmo to leave at the end of this term. Then he gets a nice long holiday for a couple of months, the school gets a new ALT and everyones happy.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    I'm wondering why it matters to you, I suppose. I don't care if my school never has another ALT again tbh.
    Then how will they becoming globalized society now?
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

To be honest I don't really care all that much, but in an effort to make everyone's lives around me easier, I did try to organize shit as early as possible to make the transition as painless as possible. As you can see, giving over four months notice was insufficient....

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    best thing for everyone would be for gizmo to leave at the end of this term. Then he gets a nice long holiday for a couple of months, the school gets a new ALT and everyones happy.
    Except for the holiday part, and the fucking boring 4 months of teaching where I can't really do what I want, ya... I actually can't imagine a worse fate actually.... Hell, making it to April might be a bit of a fucking challenge....

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    By Let'sing English!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    I think Japan is becoming globalization now. So we must learn English to help them get lost the way. If we are told the way by foreigner, we must need English. It will become trouble.

I think Japan is becoming globalization now. So we must learn English to help them get lost the way. If we are told the way by foreigner, we must need English. It will become trouble.
    Quit looking at my kids' homework!!!1!!
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

It will become trouble.
    lol adorable

I will say now, since the August arrivals there's been two people who left from this prefecture. One left literally the day she got here. No idea what happened there, all we found out is she had some sort of emotional instability and maybe couldn't handle the sudden change.

The other one left because the reality of Japan wasn't up to her fantasy, not very mature but it just didn't live up to her expectation. I guess she didn't need the job.

There's two more here on borderline of wanting to leave due to culture shock and winter blues. They've been convinced recently to take up counselling with JET so we'll see if they actually leave or not, but I have a feeling at least one of them will.

Quote Originally Posted by JestersJ View Post
    There's two more here on borderline of wanting to leave due to culture shock and winter blues. They've been convinced recently to take up counselling with JET so we'll see if they actually leave or not, but I have a feeling at least one of them will.
    I'm curious, do you know what in particular they're having issues with in regards to the difference in culture?

I mean, what exactly is happening that they didn't expect?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCarter View Post
    I'm curious, do you know what in particular they're having issues with in regards to the difference in culture?

I mean, what exactly is happening that they didn't expect?
    I mean, people are different here. It might just be a subconscious thing that grows. People don't wash their hands as often after using the restroom, they brush their teeth at their desk at work, they shove into you and don't move out of the way even when they notice you, and in my own personal experience, they are the least empathetic people you will ever meet. To some people it probably just builds up stress and they had no way of releasing it.

The reason I mention the empathy, is because I did get into a car accident and I was on a scooter. I blacked out during the accident so I don't remember much except waking up on the street. My supervisor is kind of a tough Tosa woman, and the first thing she asked when I was informing her of the accident was *how was the other person's car* and not the fact that I had just been slammed into a car with only a helmet on for protection. She didn't ask how "I" was until I had to be taken to the hospital almost a week later for muscle spasms and neck pain.

Some people aren't used to the lack of... empathy. I would say that would be one of the major causes I've seen from personally studying abroad and meeting a lot of people on JET. From those who leave, and those who stay.
    Others, it could just be a culture shock on more of a physical sense. Some people DO get placed in the middle of no where and aren't allowed to get a vehicle. And stuff like the lack of technology surprises me every time I return to Japan actually.

OR it could just be some stuff going on at home. People are sad they miss friends getting engaged, having kids, family members birthdays passing. It just depends what triggers it I guess. I'm quite a black sheep to my family so they aren't surprised I left the country at a young age.

Ya I feel like it's less about the direct cause and more about how you cope. You're gonna get pissed or shocked about SOMEthing here, I mean there's lots of stuff that's different in the western world.

Like I hate the lottery systems they use all the time for special events/amusement parks that just end up creating more hassles and lines... it's small stuff like that that can build up in people who don't know how to cope with so many differences being thrown at them at once. Sounds like no biggie when you're not here, but when you're thrown into a new place, things are gonna piss you off that you wouldn't have expected.

That combined with homesickness and maybe some good old SAD? For some people it just doesn't work out in the end.

Edit - also the classroom environments lol... lack of punishment system = kids getting away with shit you would never expect in the western world. I know some people who that just kills.
    Last edited by weepinbell; December 7th, 2015 at 14:40.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I'm gonna say that while there is less empathy at home, it's the difference that people notice there. We're overly empathetic in the west right now, with all our special snowflake considerations and it's a pretty big shock from the handholding that people grow up with to functioning like an adult.

As for the other reasons, ya that's a lot of it. I know there is one guy out here who I'm surprised hasn't flyjind yet given how often he's not in town. There's also a lot of old school bfi shock as well, which the younger kiddies can't handle well.

Then there's also the biggest struggle of all, having a REAL job. While yes there is a lot of downtime, it's still a proper employment place and were expected to act like well groomed peons, just like our coworkers. That's a huge shock to a lot of fresh uni grads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

That's interesting. I never had thought about it being a matter of smaller things that bother you over time rather than "OMG THIS ISN'T MY HOME". Though if that's actually the reason they leave is up for grabs.

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    Edit - also the classroom environments lol... lack of punishment system = kids getting away with shit you would never expect in the western world. I know some people who that just kills.
    This I don't think is accurate though. Kids here can get away with anything as well. My 12 year old sister tells me about how her teacher regularly cries in class because the kids are dicks and she's not allowed to do anything to punish them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Then there's also the biggest struggle of all, having a REAL job. While yes there is a lot of downtime, it's still a proper employment place and were expected to act like well groomed peons, just like our coworkers. That's a huge shock to a lot of fresh uni grads.
    Says the guy who never bothers to show up on time.

A lot of people just can't deal with bureaucracy. Like waiting 5 months for internet due to an apartment building having the 'wrong' address. Or waiting 2 months for a washing machine repair man to come and take a look at a leaky washer because it's the BoE's washer and not their own private one, etc. Some people just cope differently - and some can't cope and end up as flyjin.

As far as school discipline goes, I don't my school is any better or worse than the school I grew up in, other than the entire lack of punishment for not doing homework. That was a bit of culture shock for me.

Japan is western culture.
    Japan is a western country.

One of the reasons (I rarely admit) I chose Japan is because I knew it wouldn't be that different from what I was used to. That still feels true for me. I wanted the travel experience without actually having to struggle in a truly foreign environment. I think the majority of people who want to come to Japan are exceedingly weak willed. I might just be judgmental, but it really seems that way.

I may be the center of my world, but I don't expect to be the center of others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

I think you're confusing the word "Western" with the word "Developed".

Superficially it's Western. If you think it's culturally Western then you have an exceedingly weak understanding of the country.

... maybe I'm just being judgmental.