Thread: Any former Peace Corps Volunteers on here?

Default Any former Peace Corps Volunteers on here?

I'm currently serving in Macedonia and hopefully after my service ends I continue teaching with JET. Are there any RPCVs on here that can let me know what their interview was like? Also, does anyone know how many RPCVs apply for JET, and how many make it?

Default Re: Any former Peace Corps Volunteers on here?

I don't know what RPCV stands for (and am too lazy to google it, I guess, and feel pretty safe assuming). I have a nearby ALT friend who was in Morocco for a year or two with the Peace Corps. I'm not sure if her interview was particularly unusual in some way but I'm pretty sure her PC experience helped her. She's a little weird, but most ALTs are, so whatev.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

The interviewers might pick apart your experience a little so be prepared to answer a few questions on what you did whilst "serving". Focus on the parts that didn't involve you posting smug Facebook photos of yourself grinning next to some penniless farmer, if such parts exist.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I don't know what RPCV stands for (and am too lazy to google it, I guess, and feel pretty safe assuming). I have a nearby ALT friend who was in Morocco for a year or two with the Peace Corps. I'm not sure if her interview was particularly unusual in some way but I'm pretty sure her PC experience helped her. She's a little weird, but most ALTs are, so whatev.

Thanks for the reply! RPCV is Returned Peace Corps Volunteer. That's great about your friend, glad ALTs are weird, I fit right in! It is fun looking over the potential interview questions. "What will you do if you're being used as a human tape player. What will you do if you have s difficult student, disrupting class. How will you adjust to very cold winters/hot summers. ETC." Been there done that ^_^ Thanks again for the reply word!

Ooh, didn't see this. I'm an RPCV from Mongolia applying to JET now, and my interview's next week. Glad to see another PCV here!

Oh, wow, Mongolia!!! I've heard stories about you guys! Hardcore! The bits on How a PCV puts it gently are hilarious! Where are you interviewing? I'd be cool if there was someplace for RPCVs to chat to others who are in the program, applying or thinking about it.

Haha, thanks. Ya know, in Mongolia I used to hear that the other PCVs talked about us but wasn't sure if that's true or we were just consoling ourselves. But yeah, I'd be glad to hear from any other RPCVs. I've never heard from anyone who's done both programs, but due to the similarities, I'd expect there to be some people who are both RPCVs and JETs. I'm in LA, so if you happen to be at the JACCC on Tuesday I might run into you.

Hahaa, bummer. I'm in DC :/ I feel like we'll ace the interviews, so see you in Japan! ^_^