Thread: Strange Job Offer After Application

Default Strange Job Offer After Application

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum, though I've been snooping around on here since before the October/November applications. After applying for the Jet Program in November, the other day I got an email from a company claiming to be based in Osaka (one of the areas I expressed a preference for in my application) and offering me a part time job working in accounts collections here in Canada on their behalf.

Obviously at first I was very interested, since I intend to work in Japan and thought that at the very least this would look good in the interview process (hopefully) later on. But after they have sent me some details about the job, I'm a bit worried whether it's for real, or possibly a scam. They're saying that the salary would be $5000USD + 5% commission... and that the job would be part-time so I could continue working at my current job....

That seems way too good to be true, so my guess is that it's a scam of some kind. Does anyone know if the JET Program sends information about applicants to companies in Japan in the meantime? That's the only reason I could think I'd be getting this email if this is for real.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts or knowledge on this subject I'd be grateful for the help. Even though I'm pretty sure the job is too good to be true, I'm still worried by the prospect of my information some how being made available to them...

ps. Hi to all the other JET applicants, and to the JET-veterans and current JETs.
    Last edited by DigitalHarp; January 10th, 2016 at 15:21.

Default Re: Strange Job Offer After Application

I don't think JET gives out any information on applicants. They certainly aren't trying to advertise to Japanese companies who is looking for a job in Japan. It also sounds too good to be true. I'd assume it's a scam.

By the way, not to sound rude, but why do you think it's related to JET at all? Did you do research on jobs in Japan or Osaka? It's possible you just landed on a bad site that got hold of your e-mail. Like e-mails from Nigeria claiming to be princes that want to give you money, they get your e-mail somehow (not necessarily having it sold to them by a group or company that you applied to). Maybe scan your computer for spyware?

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisuchan View Post
    I don't think JET gives out any information on applicants.
    Yeah...

They only share your information with the Japanese government (at first) and the private schools that are recently asking for JETs (after interview) .

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisuchan View Post
    I don't think JET gives out any information on applicants. They certainly aren't trying to advertise to Japanese companies who is looking for a job in Japan. It also sounds too good to be true. I'd assume it's a scam.

By the way, not to sound rude, but why do you think it's related to JET at all? Did you do research on jobs in Japan or Osaka? It's possible you just landed on a bad site that got hold of your e-mail. Like e-mails from Nigeria claiming to be princes that want to give you money, they get your e-mail somehow (not necessarily having it sold to them by a group or company that you applied to). Maybe scan your computer for spyware?
    The main reason I originally thought it was related to the JET program when I first saw the email, is that I haven't been looking at jobs in Japan other than the JET program. I suppose it could just be a coincidence, or maybe something I'm forgetting I looked at related to Japan (which would still be a big coincidence because the relatively small amount of surfing I do related to Japan is 99% related to my interest in the JET Program). Then again, my email address isn't exactly difficult to come across in and of itself - it's more the Japan connection that baffles me.

As for spyware - I haven't seen any symptoms of such a thing... but I'll probably look into scanning my computer for anything strange regardless. I know Chinese and Russian hackers like to use Japan as their front because of the trust and high regard that much of the rest of the world assigns to her.

The other thing is that I have a few friends on linkedin who are former JETs... so maybe my email address on there is somehow getting passed through an "interested in Japan" filter or something... I don't know.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I think for now I'll politely decline the offer.

Ask them how they got your contact information.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

oh my god guys, I just got a pop up ad saying there were horny co-eds in Tokyo looking to hook up! How did they know I am near tokyo and like horny co-eds? It must be the work of the illuminati!
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    oh my god guys, I just got a pop up ad saying there were horny co-eds in Tokyo looking to hook up! How did they know I am near tokyo and like horny co-eds? It must be the work of the illuminati!
    Do you think maybe JET told them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    I got the same ad except they were in anonymous proxy, what are the odds?

I sent a message to the JET help desk asking about this around the same time that I posted this topic - it took quite a while to get a reply back - though as I understand it the end of December/January includes a lot of holidays for Japan and embassies.

Anyway, they said that they don't share your information with anyone but the government and contracting schools after your application has been accepted. I'm satisfied that this is the case, though I'm still pretty baffled by the odds of me getting that email. Never had any emails like this before, and can't recall giving my email to anyone that could connect me to Japan.

Getting a scam email is certainly possible (though highly improbable given how the email they used is one that I use very sparsely). Getting one about Japan at this point in my life makes it an extreme coincidence. A pop up can use information about your ip-address/cookies to target you for something extremely general like sex... making the company Japanese seems like a pointless thing to add since the job offer wasn't to move to Japan, but to stay in Canada and work for a Japanese company.

At the very least I'm just sort of interested in the logistics of someone being that good at creating scam emails vs. what the odds are that they had no idea I was looking into the JET Program (which I reiterate is the only Japan related thing I've been looking at in the last year other than maybe looking up a few Japanese baseball players or soccer players).

I also know, from looking up some information since I became suspicious of the email, that it's pretty common for scammers to use Japan for their stories due to the high regard that most of the world affords Japan... people are more likely to trust an organization claiming to be from Japan than they might a lot of other countries outside of the west where large numbers of scammers are based.

And again, originally I was just interested in finding out how likely this was to be a scam... at first I thought maybe offering $5000 could be due to the fact that 1 american dollar is about 120 yen, so accidentally adding on an extra 0 might just be a conversion error. The company the email claimed to be from was a real company (in fact I work with their products every day at work)... and the story of their intention in hiring people in Canada also checked out based on some information I know from researching the company's last letter to the shareholders. So as far as I know I might get back something soon and find out that the offer wasn't a scam at all.

In the meantime though, I'm not providing any information that could be used to rob me like a SIN or photocopies of anything.
    Last edited by DigitalHarp; January 10th, 2016 at 15:08.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalHarp View Post
    I sent a message to the JET help desk asking about this around the same time that I posted this topic - it took quite a while to get a reply back - though as I understand it the end of December/January includes a lot of holidays for Japan and embassies.

Anyway, they said that they don't share your information with anyone but the government and contracting schools after your application has been accepted. I'm satisfied that this is the case, though I'm still pretty baffled by the odds of me getting that email. Never had any emails like this before, and can't recall giving my email to anyone that could connect me to Japan.

Getting a scam email is certainly possible (though highly improbably given how the email they used is one that I use very sparsely). Getting one about Japan at this point in my life makes it an extreme coincidence. A pop up can use information about your ip-address/cookies to target you for something extremely general like sex... making the company Japanese seems like a pointless thing to add since the job offer wasn't to move to Japan, but to stay in Canada and work for a Japanese company.

At the very least I'm just sort of interested in the logistics of someone being that good at creating scam emails vs. what the odds are that they had no idea I was looking into the JET Program (which I reiterate is the only Japan related thing I've been looking at in the last year other than maybe looking up a few Japanese baseball players or soccer players).

I also know, from looking up some information since I became suspicious of the email, that it's pretty common for scammers to use Japan for their stories due to the high regard that most of the world affords Japan... people are more likely to trust an organization claiming to be from Japan than they might a lot of other countries outside of the west where large numbers of scammers are based.

And again, originally I was just interested in finding out how likely this was to be a scam... at first I thought maybe offering $5000 could be due to the fact that 1 american dollar is about 120 yen, so accidentally adding on an extra 0 might just be a conversion error. The company the email claimed to be from was a real company (in fact I work with their products every day at work)... and the story of their intention in hiring people in Canada also checked out based on some information I know from researching the company's last letter to the shareholders. So as far as I know I might get back something soon and find out that the offer wasn't a scam at all.

In the meantime though, I'm not providing any information that could be used to rob me like a SIN or photocopies of anything.
    Have you ever been officially diagnosed with Asperger's?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Have you ever been officially diagnosed with Asperger's?
    No.

Let's laughing with me.

@DigitalHarp - I had something similar, but it was an email that looked like it came from the city office in Shimada, Shizuoka. Very odd.

Does this really need to be said? I think it might.

This isn't a real offer, it's some sort of elaborate scam. You'll probably be asked to send some sort of application or processing fee at some point if you reply, and then Taro will disappear forever once you send it.