Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Applying with a history of depression?

Default Re: Applying with a history of depression?

A degree in music is a lot like having one in literature. There's a huge amount of money being made in both areas, but you're not actually contributing anything worthwhile to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    modest, too
    I didn't say I was good at any of those jobs. I just said I was good at getting hired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

My doctor (on my behalf) disclosed my unflattering history of depression and anxiety on the medical self-assessment form that I submitted with my application. I am currently on JET.

As long as you're honest and have confidence that you can fulfill your duties despite some perceived shortcoming, it will not work against you.
    Alternate - Vancouver 2014
    ---
    Scummy re-applicant 2015!!!
    ---
    SHORT-LISTED

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    I actually don't know. I have some friends in the US who make it fine as performers - I just hate performing. I'm one of the weirdos that enjoys rehearsal more than performance.
    don't be too creeped out, but I kind of want to hug you right now for some reason.

My background performing is mainly in orchestras, so my attitude is similar. Working on the music is fun. (as long as idiots aren't in charge.) But as far as performing goes, it's mainly an obstacle so I can get my check. It's one of the reasons that music degree isn't going to much use. The other is that my focus turned toward composing and arranging (not my major).
    I think I might be able to make it as a performing musician in Japan, but it would mean shifting my focus back toward something I'm not that interested in. Not to mention that most career musicians I know make half their living off of teaching, anyway.
    Last edited by fryfry; February 4th, 2016 at 15:03.
    Last edited by Frap; Today at 18:46. Reason: sucker

If we make it to JET, Fry, we HAVE to collaborate. It sounds like you have the same mentality that I do towards music. I was double majoring in Chemistry and Music but eventually downgraded the music to a minor (and added a couple of other things) because I enjoyed doing music, but found the classical pedagogy suffocating. I loved symphony orchestra better than soloing (the more, the merrier), always wanted to write and work in contemporary-crossover types of things, and was more concerned with playing "con la sangre" ("with the blood" or with feeling) than the robotic precision of soulless baroque piece after soulless baroque piece.

As a fellow violinist and composer (albeit an amateur one), I think we could make a great jam. :P

Sure! I actually have collaborated extensively with a guy from Mexico City in my current city. He's a flamenco guitarist who does mainly Central American folk/roots stuff, so it involves a lot of improv for me. I don't know if your style is similar, but I'm sure we would have fun working out whatever parts we need to. My main instrument is violin as well, by the way. What is this "soulless baroque" thing you talk about, though? never hearda that. Maybe I should introduce you to some more soulful material than what you've already heard. :P
    It sounds like you've probably gained a bit more experience as a composer than I have, too so I also look forward to learning from you.

Haha, I meant the way that baroque music can sometimes be a little too dry. Fugues are awesome ventures and of course the Partitas are perfection, but in general the rigidness of baroque form wears me out a bit. My favorite stuff was always romantic era - I even named my pets after romantic era composers (my cat's name was Tchai-kat-sky :P).

that's great. You can also call him "chai-kitty" for short, I guess. :P Although then he's a tea.

Yo, I indicated on my application that I get occasional depression. I've never been officially diagnosed, though, and my doctor described it as "mild anxiety that causes mild depression" on the medical assessment form. The thing is that he recommended that I undergo psychotherapy before going on JET, which I think is a little excessive. I've never caused harm to myself or anything like that, and I'd honestly describe my bouts of depression as the occasional blues or whenever I feel disappointment or regret something.

Do they even ask you about it during the interview?
    Last edited by SwankitySwank; February 4th, 2016 at 16:41.

YES

At the beginning of the interview,they ask you a series of questions to confirm your identity and the most onto: is this your name, have you committed any crimes, would you be okay with a placement other than your requests, etc. Anything on your Health Assessment will come up here. The extent to which they'll grill you will vary based on the panel members, but a friend once had a med student former JET who WOULD NOT let the subject go until they answered far more questions than they were comfortable doing so.

You will be almost guaranteed to have to answer what would you do if you're symptoms came back with a vengeance while in Japan and you cannot continue your current treatment plan. Your job will be to try and convince them that it won't be an issue, which, one again, depending on the panel can be easy or hard.

You can do it. It's been done before, just be ready for them to make you intentionally uncomfortable.