Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Teaching good handwriting through cursive.

Default Teaching good handwriting through cursive.

Hi, a few of my students have incredibly poor handwriting but some of them also like to write their names in cursive so I thought on capitalizing on that and having them practice cursive to improve their legibility. I was going to download some worksheets and have them practice writing various words and sentences but do you have any reccomendations as to go about helping them?

Thanks

Default Re: Teaching good handwriting through cursive.

You'd probably be better served getting them to practice print first. If you think their penmanship is bad now, wait until it looks like a doctor's prescription.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

JHS? There should be sections in the 1st grade penmanship workbook on cursive that they should have already finished. tell the little buggers to go back and look at it again.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    You'd probably be better served getting them to practice print first. If you think their penmanship is bad now, wait until it looks like a doctor's prescription.
    Yeah. Poor handwriting doesn't magically become beautiful when put into cursive. They'd be better off, and anyone who has to read their writing in the future would be better off, if they'd just practice printing.

I use this site to teach the kids how to write their names since you can customize the worksheets.

Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Skip cursive. Have them practice print. In my experience, cursive is out-dated to the point that younger people (like 20 year olds) regardless of where they come from, can barely read cursive anymore.

???? You must know some ghastly 20 year olds

You could make it a cultural lesson about how in some countries it's just considered a faster way of writing but in America it's considered the most challenging thing in the world, so they never learn to write like adults.

An easy analogy would be that it's like if there were an entire nation of people who never learned kanji and just wrote in kana forever. Or an entire country who never learned to use cutlery and just ate everything with their hands.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    You could make it a cultural lesson about how in some countries it's just considered a faster way of writing but in America it's considered the most challenging thing in the world, so they never learn to write like adults.
    At least in the US I don't think it's about being challenging, but rather outdated. Almost 100% of assignments over 1 page in length are required to be typed; most students have their own form of short-hand or carry a laptop to class.
    Last edited by Torinn88; January 21st, 2016 at 14:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Torinn88 View Post
    Skip cursive. Have them practice print. In my experience, cursive is out-dated to the point that younger people (like 20 year olds) regardless of where they come from, can barely read cursive anymore.
    huh? in the UK, once you can form letters, you move to learning cursive in like year 2 (6/7 years old)

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    huh? in the UK, once you can form letters, you move to learning cursive in like year 2 (6/7 years old)
    Same in the US but hand-written assignments no longer carry the requirement of using cursive.

it seems cursive is something reserved for the upper echelons of higher education in America.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    it seems cursive is something reserved for the upper echelons of higher education in America.....
    Nah it's just short-hand is faster for taking notes so unless required to use cursive we gradually move away from using cursive.

Quote Originally Posted by Torinn88 View Post
    Same in the US but hand-written assignments no longer carry the requirement of using cursive.
    What does this have to do with 20 year olds being able to barely read cursive? If you learn it as a child why are people magically forgetting how to read when they enter university?

What does this have to do with 20 year olds being able to barely read cursive? If you learn it as a child why are people magically forgetting how to read when they enter university?
    Because if you spent 10+ years not using a skill, you tend to forget it.

After grade 2 and 3 you're no longer forced to use cursive.

so because you arent forced to do something everyone immediately puts it out their mind?

so because you arent forced to do something everyone immediately puts it out their mind?
    Basically. If you took a foreign language class and then for a decade didn't speak, read, hear, or us that language would you still remember that language?

Hopefully it's more of a case of it being just out of practice, but quickly regained since cursive is pretty simple.
    Last edited by Torinn88; January 21st, 2016 at 14:47.

Probably not, but if I took a foreign language class and then for the rest of my life everyone I ever interacted with from my parents, to my teachers and to the world in general used that language I would probably remember a few things a decade later.