Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Teaching good handwriting through cursive.

Default Re: Teaching good handwriting through cursive.

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    Now even the universities are filled to the brim with slack jawed idiots.
    Keeping your mouth closed isn't a requirement. If you spend 10+ years keeping it slack you tend to forget how to shut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    You have never received a perfumed love letter from a busty maiden?
    I don't think these wretches even have calling cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Torinn88 View Post
    I can't even remember the last thing I read in cursive that wasn't something that I wrote.
    I think you just don't realise how prevalent it is because you can read it. Go to a wedding. 9 times out of 10 cursive will be fucking everywhere.
    "What's the name of the groom again?"
    "It says right there."
    "I know but I can't read."

"Why didn't you show up for our date last night?"
    "I couldn't find the place."
    "It's right there."
    "Oh, I see. I can't read."

True story. Our state had tests that required us to write a section on the back with cursive. Basically it was our official "we will not cheat and promise that everything in this test book that I wrote is me writing it," statement. The number of people moaning about it was hilarious. I think the last time I wrote a cursive sentence was years ago, but my handwriting is a mix of cursive and print.

I work at a historical society. We are now seeing yough researchers working on their doctorate that have trouble reading archives because they are in cursive. Some of it is beautiful and amazing penmanship that should be easy to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Hammer View Post
    I work at a historical society. We are now seeing yough researchers working on their doctorate that have trouble reading archives because they are in cursive. Some of it is beautiful and amazing penmanship that should be easy to read.
    This is another indication that we live in the society I was describing in VIP. It doesn't matter how f*cking stupid you are--in the US, anyone can get a degree, even a doctorate. We've managed to become so inclusive that holding a uni degree no longer means anything of significance. No wonder so many uni grads are constantly b*tching about job openings that require X years of experience. Why shouldn't an employer require experience, when a degree offers precisely zero evidence that an individual is qualified or capable in any manner whatsoever?
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

VIP info ban ban ban

VIP info ban ban ban
    You can talk about things that YOU posted in VIP. Just not the things that other people post.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

VIP info ban ban ban
    Mod bashing, "ban ban ban" .

No wonder so many uni grads are constantly b*tching about job openings that require X years of experience. Why shouldn't an employer require experience, when a degree offers precisely zero evidence that an individual is qualified or capable in any manner whatsoever?
    Word. Unfortunately I see more companies hiring the fresh out of college kids because they are so cheap. I a have a friend who is 52 that has been programming for over 30 years. He's programmed mainframes using FORTRAN for particle colliders to web pages and aps. Despite that he hasn't been able to get a full-time job at a company surviving on projects and free-lance work (sometimes fixing the mess the younger ones created).

It it even work in the library field (my profession). For the administrators it is just numbers on a budget spreadsheet. Experience means squat.

True story. Our state had tests that required us to write a section on the back with cursive. Basically it was our official "we will not cheat and promise that everything in this test book that I wrote is me writing it," statement.
    This!
    In my school district, my graduating class was the last to learn cursive formally. Most of students thereafter could barely sign their name...

I can read cursive fine, but that doesn't mean I'm going to waste my time learning to use it. I was forced to do an hour of cursive every day in school, and I'm never using it again because I despise it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

despise is a strong word.... jesus, its only joined up letters
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

You. Don't. KNOW!

I hate handwriting in general.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

And halfu are only joined up races. It's a slippery slope.

Getting aside from mockery, do Americans learn some kind of really formal cursive writing system that is strict about how words are meant to be written or something? I always assumed that what you call "cursive" is different from what we call "joined up writing", because I've literally never heard a non American complain about having to use it. It just seems like a no-brainer that writing continuously is faster than taking your pen off the paper for every letter. I actually have to force myself to write print when I'm writing for students here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Getting aside from mockery, do Americans learn some kind of really formal cursive writing system that is strict about how words are meant to be written or something? I always assumed that what you call "cursive" is different from what we call "joined up writing", because I've literally never heard a non American complain about having to use it. It just seems like a no-brainer that writing continuously is faster than taking your pen off the paper for every letter. I actually have to force myself to write print when I'm writing for students here.
    Maybe? It's dopey penmanship stuff. Like, I can write without taking my pen off the paper, but it's not the same as what I had to practice in school.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

It's a formal form. And as can be seen here, some letters, especially capitals, are quite different.
    http://townsquaredelaware.com/wp-con...sive-image.png

I mean, my handwriting does join up somewhat, but it looks pretty different from this formal style.

what is up with that y?

thats not a million miles off what i was taught as a youth in old blighty. I guess over the years I have dropped some of the more fruity ones as I never liked the lower case f.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.