Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Teaching good handwriting through cursive.

Default Re: Teaching good handwriting through cursive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    thats not a million miles off what i was taught as a youth in old blighty. I guess over the years I have dropped some of the more fruity ones as I never liked the lower case f.
    it's still taught like that

source am a primary school teacher

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Getting aside from mockery, do Americans learn some kind of really formal cursive writing system that is strict about how words are meant to be written or something? I always assumed that what you call "cursive" is different from what we call "joined up writing", because I've literally never heard a non American complain about having to use it. It just seems like a no-brainer that writing continuously is faster than taking your pen off the paper for every letter. I actually have to force myself to write print when I'm writing for students here.
    I had one or two teachers call it "script". It used to be very formally taught, as in my grandparents all have identical handwriting because it was all taught the same way. In later generations I think the hippies got ahold of it, and everyone younger than my grandparents has very expressive and personalized handwriting. Once computer and keyboard classes entered schools, less time was spent on kids learning to hand-write anything.

My handwriting is piss-poor no matter what, but it does become much more illegible when I put it in cursive.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Yeah, that's a big reason I stopped. No one, including me, could read my cursive unless I wrote it so slow it defeated the purpose. My print writing only I can read but I write it pretty fast. But it's at least partially joined.

I learned how to read cursive pretty early (I mean, it's still the English alphabet, it's not that complicated), so it meant I always knew what my teacher in 3rd grade was writing home to mom and dad about what horrible things I'd done that particular day. I thought I so super smart that I'd scribble it out and they'd be none the wiser.
    Plus, cursive was annoying because my name starts with 'S' so I was constantly writing that ampersand knock-off.
    But yeah, same thing in Canada, if you just wrote an 'S' without taking your pen off the paper they'd say, 'no that's wrong, you have to do this stupid little pea-pod thing.'

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Hammer View Post
    I work at a historical society. We are now seeing yough researchers working on their doctorate that have trouble reading archives because they are in cursive. Some of it is beautiful and amazing penmanship that should be easy to read.
    Exhibit A: Good riddance, cursive! - The Washington Post

We're always so happy to lower the standards.
    LEARN to spell? Pfft, that's archaic! We have spell check now, grandpa.

I'd rather teach my kids how to type English (at all.) They've got a decent (ish) computer lab and the 3rd years can barely type in Japanese, much less touch type. I guess it goes with the territory - maybe one in five students has a computer in the home.

Having had to slog through plenty of ALT SoPs and other uni-level shite, I can safely say that spell check and grammar check are only as useful as the arselicks using them.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    I'd rather teach my kids how to type English (at all.) They've got a decent (ish) computer lab and the 3rd years can barely type in Japanese, much less touch type. I guess it goes with the territory - maybe one in five students has a computer in the home.
    -but just watch 'em on a sumaho. They average 10 bullying messages a minute!

U da real mvp.

My 3rd grade JTE asked me to teach students to type. Then she changed it to "let's have them type their essays this lesson". Then after they couldn't do it first time she immediately gave up on typing. Japanese Education, ladies and gents!

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I was one of those kids who learned formal cursive (script) when I was a kid. Spent three or four years getting it beat into me, then the teachers would turn around and request students not use script in homework because they couldn't read it (script really is printing level two if you think about it... ie joined letters).

I mean now I write in all capital letters with an upper case capital and a lower case capital, but that's just to make sure I can always read what I write.

I would never teach a Japanese kid who to write cursive unless they asked, as it's entirely archaic, and fuck being able to read ancient ass love letters between jefferson and his right hand. (seriously, not every student needs to be able to read old forms of our own language. Leave that to historians and nutters)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Cursive makes a lot moar sense when you're writing with a fountain pen. I understand why it's died out lately. Still, not being able to read it seems pretty LOLFAIL
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Not being able to write it, sure I get that.

Not being able to read it? Go back to school.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Cursive makes a lot moar sense when you're writing with a fountain pen. I understand why it's died out lately. Still, not being able to read it seems pretty LOLFAIL
    Maybe that contributes to my bias, I love fountain pens, but no one buys them so it's either dollar store (junk in a week), or $50 fancy kit.

In my school we had to use cursive up through middle school, but in High School all assignments longer than one page (and not on a worksheet) were expected to be typed. Luckily, my school of 180 students had 2 full computer labs and another 15 or so computers in the library, so it was easy to go and write your assignments during lunch break or a study hall.

Also, I learned this morning that a computer + typing (actual typing practice classes) are going to be added to next years schedule for the second and third years. Apparently there was a bit of confusion when a class went to type an essay for their Japanese class and found out that 20/30 students didn't know how to use a word processor or type with more than three fingers.

this was the computer we had when I was at school so pretty much everything had to be hand written.

Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

unfff. look at the floppies on her

U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    Also, I learned this morning that a computer + typing (actual typing practice classes) are going to be added to next years schedule for the second and third years. Apparently there was a bit of confusion when a class went to type an essay for their Japanese class and found out that 20/30 students didn't know how to use a word processor or type with more than three fingers.
    Half of mine -actually- use one finger to type.

U da real mvp.

bbc micro, bitch.

2MHz beast built by acorn would let you play podd at fucking breakneck speeds.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

this was the computer we had when I was at school so pretty much everything had to be hand written.

I thought you were older. I imagined you programming with punch cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

The first computer I used at school was an apple II.