Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    8

    Default Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    So, I'm a short-time lurker first time thread-opener who only found out about this forum the day after my interview (D'oh). And to be honest, I'm slightly more worried now than I was before the interview itself! Not knowing any former or aspiring JETS personally I spent a lot of time not only researching Japan, but also what I could expect at the interview. The general consensus online seems to be that the questions are aggressive ("Name the Japanese PM's second cousins friend from high-school that ate a bee one time for a bet. You can't? FAIL"), and the interviewers be stern and cold, and generally as politely unpleasant as possible (I generalize).

    In saying all of that, my interview was one of the most relaxed I've ever had, which threw me more than a little. There was a little bit of stiffness at the start, but after the opening questions and grammar test it was pretty much all smiles and easy-going chat about my cv and my knowledge of JET. I enjoyed the interview, and the panel seemed to enjoy themselves too, but I have fairly interesting history and interviewers in the past have actually kept me talking just out of curiosity.

    To summarize the above miscellany of worry, my interview took about 40mins, during which I got asked a few solid questions - role of jet, how would you work WITH a teacher rather than AS one (I have a teaching background), what would you do aside from teach, stuff to bring to Japan - and the rest was pretty free-form - Oooh, you did THIS interesting thing. Tell us about that!

    So! To summarize the summary, easy-questions, easy-going panel, not a trial by fire. Have I done abysmally :P All input welcome!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    There is no handbook out there somewhere that tells JET interviewers that they must be cold and aggressive - the tone of the interview depends mainly on the personality of the people on your interview panel. It also may depend a bit on the JET Coordinator at your location and the approach they told the interviewers to take.

    A relaxed interview panel is neither a good nor a bad thing, although you having a chatty interview at least tells me that you probably have fairly good social skills, which is a good thing. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    Hey Shincantsen, thanks for the reply. Having heard the opinions of a couple other applicants in the area it sounds like most of the other interviews were as chilled (in a good way) as mine, which is a big relief. It's harder to know how I did compared to others, but it does indicate that the co-coordinator probably wanted to keep things fairly easy-going and not focus on grilling the applicants.

    It was still a big dissonance between what I read on line and what I experienced though, so if anyone is reading this in 2017 and you're stressing over the fact that you had a relaxed interview and lovely panel - don't!

    (Although, if in two months I and everyone I spoke to has failed, then I may have to reassess that advice :P)

  4. #4
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,772

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    If I were you I would stress more about about the 4000 dollars you need to bring with you for start up costs rather than the poxy interview.... but kudos to you for passing the first hurdle
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    4000 dollars?! Hahaha I'd be fortunate to even bring €1000 with me! I'm broke.

  6. #6
    Senior Member fryfry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    My interviewers were chill as well, compared to some of the scarier stories I'd heard. I chalked it up to the Portland "dont-give-a-fuck", "everything's-gonna-be-FIIINE", "here-have-some-weeeed" atmosphere. I'll note there was also no former JET in the reception area to talk to. In fact I thought one of the other candidates was the JET, before I talked to her. It made her happy to hear that. My interview was about 30 minutes, and they were amazingly punctual compared to what I'd heard.
    Last edited by Frap; Today at 18:46. Reason: sucker

  7. #7
    Senior Member simplesam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    214

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    If I were you I would stress more about about the 4000 dollars you need to bring with you for start up costs rather than the poxy interview
    Um....lolwut...

    Quote Originally Posted by Numerouno View Post
    4000 dollars?! Hahaha I'd be fortunate to even bring €1000 with me! I'm broke.
    Yeah, same here. One of the reasons why I'm applying to JET again is because my job prospects have been ridiculously low and I don't have the means to relocate and start over. If I had 4K in the bank, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be relying on JET and would have just moved abroad myself...

  8. #8
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,772

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    someones in for surprise..... pray you dont get a Tokyo placement and have to pay a housing deposit.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  9. #9
    Senior Member simplesam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    214

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    someones in for surprise..... pray you dont get a Tokyo placement and have to pay a housing deposit.
    Oh, yeah, I heard about that...no, I'm actually one of those crazy people who would be fine with something inaka because the housing situation is better there. I've heard from people who were given freaking houses and only had to pay, like, 30000 yen a month or something ridiculously low like that.

    The places I noted preference on in my application where places that friends and acquaintances were stationed. At the time they were there, the housing situation wasn't that bad, even for the cities. But then again, there's that stupid ESID clause...
    Last edited by simplesam; January 31st, 2016 at 01:48.

  10. #10
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,772

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    what you are fine with is lovely and all but what happens when the Tokyo Board of education contacts you and says congratulations on receiving a placement with a private school in higashi ginza and your housing contract has been outsourced to jack tanaka inc and they will expect your first 3 months rent plus a deposit and cleaning fee on the day of your arrival? Do any of you people research the programme before you apply?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  11. #11
    Senior Member simplesam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    214

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    I've read on here about that happening, yes, but I figured it's worth taking a chance anyways. The worst I could do at that point is turn down the job because I couldn't afford it. It wouldn't be any worse than if I wasn't even offered the job in the first place (like last year).

    I've spoken to a lot of people who were in my own financial situation when they were accepted and how they got around it. One of them even had their BOE give them a loan to pay for the key money and rent and worked it out to pay it back over three months. There's probably some way to figure it out when the time comes, IF it comes. But no sense in worrying about it if I'm not shortlisted. Just because I'm optimistic doesn't mean I'm naive...

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    Well, the chance of a Tokyo placement is slim, real slim. I've researched the program quite well and a few complaints aren't going to scare me away. Besides JET pays a competitive salary from what I've heard.

  13. #13
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,772

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    JET was ok 5 years ago. these days ever since the pay cut I wouldn't fancy your chances, I mean if you end up in a placement that requires a car your insurance and fuel bills will eat into a large chunk of your salary before you even get to things like tax and shaken.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  14. #14
    Senior Member simplesam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    214

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    The average HOUSEHOLD income where I'm from is $17,000/year. Considering I don't have dependents, the JET salary even with the pay cut would be more than what I grew up on.

  15. #15
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,772

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    are you from Ethiopia?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  16. #16
    Senior Member simplesam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    214

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    No sir, that's here in the good ole USA. The thing they don't tell you about those US poverty statistics is that those numbers are averages and not really indicative of the real economic state of low-income areas.

  17. #17
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,772

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    seeing as you live in poverty I will give you the benefit of doubt and assume from your educational background you haven't heard of things such as the "cost-of-living-index". Your fat 17000 dollars a year might buy you a 10 year old F150 and a harem of redneck hussies but in japan you might be able to afford the rent on a one bedroom apartment and a hot meal once in a while. I wouldn't go putting down any deposits on a private jet if I were you.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  18. #18
    Senior Member simplesam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    214

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    seeing as you live in poverty I will give you the benefit of doubt and assume from your educational background you haven't heard of things such as the "cost-of-living-index". Your fat 17000 dollars a year might buy you a 10 year old F150 and a harem of redneck hussies but in japan you might be able to afford the rent on a one bedroom apartment and a hot meal once in a while. I wouldn't go putting down any deposits on a private jet if I were you.
    I used to work with high-risk and first-year college students from low-income backgrounds. Part of my job was counseling students who came from migrant families that literally had nothing on how to afford going to school when they had only received enough financial aid to cover half the cost of education, so I am familiar enough to know that the Cost of Living Index isn't really representative of the actual cost of living. It can be either higher or lower depending on your spending patterns. For example, I don't drink, smoke, or eat out very much, so I save a lot of money there. But every now and then, (after saving up) I'll splurge on a video game or movie ticket and spend more than what may be typical of someone in my situation. It's pretty hit or miss and the best way to calculate expenses in my experience is to compare your own spending patterns to the city and not the predicted ones from a Cost of Living Index because you can ALWAYS do with less. There's always a way to cut corners financially.

    Also, I am neither white nor Southern, so I'm not familiar with "redneck hussies" and have seen maybe two F150's in my life. Trucks aren't economical transportation. Neither are jets. You need to live within your means, after all.
    Last edited by simplesam; January 31st, 2016 at 03:53.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    Quote Originally Posted by simplesam View Post
    I've read on here about that happening, yes, but I figured it's worth taking a chance anyways. The worst I could do at that point is turn down the job because I couldn't afford it. It wouldn't be any worse than if I wasn't even offered the job in the first place (like last year).
    Even in nowhere, startup costs are potentially very, very high. Some people skate by with less than 3000-4000, but not all.

    If you knowingly let this process get to the point where they tell you the cost of things and you say you can't pay, it doesn't reflect well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  20. #20
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,376

    Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

    I can understand you thinking you'll be able to get by with less than 3000 in start-up costs. That's high end of the possible initial costs. But 1-2000 is quite likely. Turns out that, yeah, moving to another country is expensive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •