Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

Default Re: Relaxed Interviewers: Ominous or Inconsequential?

I'll give you another end of the scale. I literally bought £500s worth of yen (about 100,000 yen at the time) before I left and that genuinely lasted through Tokyo and 3 weeks of August until I got my first pay, and I don't live frugally.

well, I was saving. guess I'll save more now. thx gais.
    Last edited by Frap; Today at 18:46. Reason: sucker

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Smiling Interviews: Just friendly or Getting ready for forced buttsex!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    I'll give you another end of the scale. I literally bought £500s worth of yen (about 100,000 yen at the time) before I left and that genuinely lasted through Tokyo and 3 weeks of August until I got my first pay, and I don't live frugally.
    Of course, frap paid in ways other than cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

It really depends on your placement. $4k is high - not an outlier, but probably above average even for a city placement. In rural bumfuck Tohoku I got by with 92,000 yen for 4 weeks and then took another 50,000 just before payday (like August 18th.) But I'm way far back at the low end. Others in similar placements paid way, way more. You could get away with less, too - if you put off stuff like getting a phone, or internet connection.

From the former JETs I personally know, having about $1-2K seems to be a safe amount to cover startup costs and get through the first few weeks. That's totally doable and I agree that it's a good idea to bring SOME money. Just thought that $4K was somewhat excessive. Then again, ESID...
    Last edited by simplesam; February 1st, 2016 at 12:46.

I brought about $500 with me and was fine until payday. Of course, I live in the Middle of Nowhere. I was also given a BOE car and a new apartment with dirt cheap rent. And my pred actually took care of everything so it wasn't a hovel. I kind of lucked out as far as ESID goes.

And my interview was super chill. I even came out of it relaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
    I brought about $500 with me and was fine until payday. Of course, I live in the Middle of Nowhere. I was also given a BOE car and a new apartment with dirt cheap rent. And my pred actually took care of everything so it wasn't a hovel. I kind of lucked out as far as ESID goes.
    That is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post

And my interview was super chill. I even came out of it relaxed.
    This is pretty much the same as what happened to me, except I lease a car (I didn't have to pay until after my first payday though). Basically had no necessary expenses outside of food until after I got paid.

FYI, relaxed interviewers are a good thing. If somebody is reading this next year, I got in! Wooo!