Thread: Intend to apply to JET in 2yrs, advice?

Default Intend to apply to JET in 2yrs, advice?

Hey everyone! I just found this website/forum and I am honestly so relieved. I've been non-stop researching things for the past week and it's nice to see everything all in one place.

ANYWAYS, I am looking for some honest advice. My situation is this: I am 24 years old living in Orlando, Florida. I am almost finished with my sophomore year at a community college and going to a "real" university (UCF) next year to complete my Bachelors- I still have a little time to decide what to major in and have just kind of discovered/realized that I most definitely want to pursue or at least attempt to become a part of the JET program when I graduate.

Basically, to make a long story short...I am and have always been extremely interested in Japanese culture and plan on studying the language this year, but before learning about JET I was leaning towards getting my Bachelors in education anyways, but now I am wondering if I should get it in something geared more towards Japanese studies. Any advice on that?

And if you have any other general advice on what I should be doing with my free time in the next couple years to make myself have a better chance of getting accepted as well as preparing to live in Japan, any and all feedback is much appreciated, thank you!!

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: I'LL BE APPLYING FOR THE JET TWO YEARS FROM NOW, NEED ADVICE ON HOW TO PREPARE EA

Why would you go towards Japanese studies? What possible benefit would that serve? Going into education atleast nets you a job when you're done JET (and remember JET is not a career, it's a bump on the road to basically anything else)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Default Re: I'LL BE APPLYING FOR THE JET TWO YEARS FROM NOW, NEED ADVICE ON HOW TO PREPARE EA

Anything you can to pad your application: club activities, community groups, student leadership, internships, ESL teaching certifications. (No particular order.)

If you want to teach longer term, an education degree might be helpful. Otherwise just about anything else will do as long as it's a Bachelors. (That's a visa/immigration requirement.) I've worked with comp-sci, engineering, education, history, linguistics, international relations etc BA, BS, and BSE holders working as ALT. JET is primarily an exchange program according to it's organizers, so in the hiring process they take all sorts.

JET doesn't really care how much you love Japan in the application process. But if you know some basic Japanese history or a little Japanese, that doesn't hurt either.

You're going to structure your education around a 100% definitely temporary job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Why would you go towards Japanese studies?
    Yeah ... not a good option. So you can speak (rudimentary) Japanese at the end of your degree, so what? There's literally millions of people out there these days that can speak both English and Japanese fluently. If you are dead set on Japanese studies then you need to tie it in with another skill/ area of specialty to really make it count.
    /\\//\/\ /\\//\/\ /\\//\/\

To be honest, you have a very good point. I will probably end up sticking with education, but I don't I guess since doing all of this research I am a little overwhelmed with information- plus pretty dead set on going to Japan after college, so it was just a thought, but yeah after everyone's feedback I have a better perspective on it. Thank you!

Yay thanks for all of the useful information, I really really appreciate it and will take your advice

Default Re: Intend to apply to JET in 2yrs, advice?

Go with whatever major you want. There are people here from all majors including music, art, political science...all that biz.
    Don't tailor your life to JET. Echoing other folks above, it's a 100% temporary job. You're going to have to move on afterward and be able to feel good with what you have.

I wish I knew less about Japan before I came here. Japanese people assume you know nothing, so you're constantly being explained rather rudimentary Japanese culture things and it can get tiresome after a while. Don't load up, yo!

go get some international experience, get out your comfort zone, go live on a deserted island with just a busty maiden and swiss army knife for 6 months, traverse the horn of africa, forge some solid connections with the part of Japan you wish to be placed in, host some exchange students, take a amateur mma fight to test yourself in the heat of combat, develop a strong interest in the rugby world cup/the olympics, volunteer at a school for troubled teens, go spear fishing, break some hearts, have your heart broken, birth a calf, pass the JLPT, study something not related to Japan and develop a clear career path for after JET, meditate nude under a waterfall, hunt your own food, tread the boards, dance all night, write the great american novel.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    go get some international experience, get out your comfort zone, go live on a deserted island with just a busty maiden and swiss army knife for 6 months, traverse the horn of africa, forge some solid connections with the part of Japan you wish to be placed in, host some exchange students, take a amateur mma fight to test yourself in the heat of combat, develop a strong interest in the rugby world cup/the olympics, volunteer at a school for troubled teens, go spear fishing, break some hearts, have your heart broken, birth a calf, pass the JLPT, study something not related to Japan and develop a clear career path for after JET, meditate nude under a waterfall, hunt your own food, tread the boards, dance all night, write the great american novel.
    that was beautiful.