Thread: Lack of Japanese Knowledge

Default Lack of Japanese Knowledge

Ok guys so I think my interview was interesting to say the least.
    High points: 1.) Had to do 2 mock lessons and they said that they loved my energy. 2.)Asked me alot about things in my SOP as well as my and seemed to like me answers 3.)Remembered to shake their hands and smile! 4.) 2 out of 3 judges seemed really nice 5.) Got all 3 interviewers to get up and dance
    Low points: 1.) I couldn't tell them more than just general/basic stuff about America-Japan relations on the TPP agreement (in fact I had to ask the guy what that acronym meant since I had a mental brain fart) 2.)couldn't name a japanese politician 3.) Said Osaka instead of Okinawa for where the US military base is uggggggghhghhhhhhhh 4.)anything Japan related outside of WHY Japan/WHY JET I feel abhorrent about my answers.
    So what do you guys think?

Default Re: Lack of Japanese Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by BabyKing View Post
    2.)couldn't name a japanese politician
    not even big abe?!

I said his name wrong. Like Abe as in Abe Lincoln

it sounds like you did well on the portions that actually mattered. the general consensus around here seems to be that the interviewers care more about your personality and overall teaching knowledge than answering trivia about Japan.
    Last edited by Frap; Today at 18:46. Reason: sucker

I will say, they asked you much more about Japan than they asked me both years. I don't remember having to play Japanese trivia pursuit.

That being said, I had a similar dilemma this time around where I was asked why Japan since I have very little experience with the country. It was not fun to be put on the spot, but in the end, all that matters is you show them you're a good fit for JET. Otherwise, they would only accept those fluent in Japanese and totally Nipponophile.

...at least IMHO...

they were just trying to see how you responded under pressure. (although not knowing who the PM is or anything about what has been in the news recently is a bit strange.....)
    If you burst into tears and ran out the room it will be a black mark against you, if you got all aggressive and told them to shove their stupid questions up their arse it will be a black mark against you, if you handled it like a boss then you'll be fine.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I expressed i was willing to know more and said id watch the news more amd if it was an election year id take notes on who was doing what. Idk they all seemed happy with my mock lesson and my impromptu second lesson. But i was thinking id get more what i like about japan and other things people usually get
    Last edited by BabyKing; February 5th, 2016 at 23:16.

Then I wouldn't worry too much. Sounds like it went pretty well. They literally didn't ask me anyJ apan trivia questions and same with a lot of people.. so clearly there's not really a 'Japan knowledge' category. I'm with Ini I'm sure it was just to test your composure.
    Last edited by weepinbell; February 5th, 2016 at 13:32.

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    I'm with Ini I'm sure it was just to test your composure.
    I figured as much. Half the job of the panel is to try and make you as uncomfortable as possible. It's even written into the information release form.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyKing View Post
    1.) I couldn't tell them more than just general/basic stuff about America-Japan relations on the TPP agreement (in fact I had to ask the guy what that acronym meant since I had a mental brain fart) 2.)couldn't name a japanese politician 3.) Said Osaka instead of Okinawa for where the US military base is uggggggghhghhhhhhhh 4.)anything Japan related outside of WHY Japan/WHY JET I feel abhorrent about my answers.
    So what do you guys think?
    What was your location for your interview if you don't mind me asking? Interesting to see what they asked you as my interview was completely different... to the point that the job interview was at two different institutions.

No two interviews are the same, even at the same consulate. I overheard two applicants compare their interviews outside of the building when I finished up and it was as if they were almost going for different jobs. On top of that, my interview didn't feel like it matched up to either one. Other than the big three questions, interviews are pretty much unique to the people involved.
    Last edited by simplesam; February 5th, 2016 at 15:16.

Quote Originally Posted by simplesam View Post
    No two interviews are the same, even at the same consulate. I overheard two applicants compare their interviews outside of the building when I finished up and it was as if they were almost going for different jobs. On top of that, my interview didn't feel like it matched up to either one. Other than the big three questions, interviews are pretty much unique to the people involved.
    Didn't get the big 3. Just two. But given my track record, one was pretty obvious. Indeed, all interviews are unique. I actually had a lot of fun with mine. Hope to somehow meet my interviewers in the future to chat more.

I only got one of the big three this year and a different one last year. It's not that the big three ALWAYS show up, it's just that they're the most common. I will say, after they gave me a hard time at the beginning of the interview for something in my application, they JET alum that was part of this year's panel was pretty supportive and friendly during the interview. I could not say the same thing for the JET alum from the year before, lol...
    Last edited by simplesam; February 5th, 2016 at 15:31.

I mean where I interviewed, they basically looked at your application and pulled questions from that. I know for sure they pulled some questions out of their asses. Like they'd just look at parts of my application for a few seconds and ask me random stuff about it. One of the consulate ladies at mine asked me asked a super bizarre question to ask on the spot and the ex-ALT gave her such a wtf look when it happened. They also asked a couple of the same questions phrased in different ways too, but I mean I answered them all without sounding like a crazy-person so I guess that's what counts.

I talked about Unit 731 and how it helped build relations between America and Japan.

I believe that if you lack Japanese language skills, you would be able to apply as an ALT but not as a CIR. CIRs are recommended to have JLPT level 1 or 2. The pay is the same, and I see that the CIR job is far more demanding since it requires the applicant to have that high level of Japanese. It is not a level that someone new to Japan would have.