Thread: How are you notified of your JET status in April? Email, mail, or both? JET 2016

Default How are you notified of your JET status in April? Email, mail, or both? JET 2016

Hello,

I applied to JET 2016, did the application, went through the nerve-wracking interview and everything. Now I just need to wait to hear back from the JET Office about my results in April. The thing is, I intend to move across country mid-April and I'm worried about letters from the JET Office being lost in the mail once I switch addresses. What I want to know is how the JET Office notifies aspiring JETs about their status in April? Is it by email, by letter, or will they send both? I realize that the JET Program changes their MO slightly year to year, but I'm hoping someone who applied to JET last year can tell me how they were informed.

Thanks in Advance

Edit*: I'm American, by the way.

(Note: "you JET" should be "your JET" in the title. I can't fix it)
    Last edited by word; February 16th, 2016 at 23:36. Reason: I gotcha :D

Default Re: How are you notified of you JET status in April? Email, mail, or both? JET 2016

It varies country to country. I'm American and was notified by email. where are you from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    The only time I use the phone part of my phone is:
    When delivery people call me asking me where the fuck I am
    When school calls me and asks me where the fuck I am
    when I get lost and need to ask people to get me whereever the fuck I am.

Otherwise it NEVER gets used.

Default Re: How are you notified of you JET status in April? Email, mail, or both? JET 2016

Oh, sorry, forgot to mention it. I'm American as well. If we are notified by email, then that's great.

I'm in the same boat. I am moving in March, so I have set up a mail redirection and am hoping for the best. I suppose, in the event that we don't receive letters and we don't hear back by a reasonable time, it would be fine to email and receive the good news (or crushing blow) over the phone from a consulate member at the embassy. I don't think it's a case of "well we couldn't reach them by this method, too bad/so sad" kind of thing, and if it is then... well.

Default Re: How are you notified of your JET status in April? Email, mail, or both? JET 2016

Several years on now, but I got both - a short email with a letter attached, and the actual letter in the mail a few days later. However, you might want to contact your consulate/JET coordinator and let them know your address is changing.

Default Re: How are you notified of your JET status in April? Email, mail, or both? JET 2016

Last year, I was notified by email only. I don't think I got any physical mail except for the letter saying my application had been processed in January a few weeks before the interview list was released. Otherwise, everything was pretty much by email, and even then, that was all by email or JET Inbox this year. You can ask your coordinator at the consulate you interviewed at if you're concerned. From this point on, they're your main point of contact for anything JET related.
    Last edited by simplesam; February 17th, 2016 at 16:58.

You should get an email as well as a letter. Like webstaa said, tell them that you intend to change your address, but keep in mind that when you actually leave for Japan you need to leave from the consulate location you applied to.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I was notified by telepathic kittens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Yes, thank you. I suppose I will do that. I was a bit worried though that if I mentioned to them that I am moving to the other side of the country that it would hurt my chances, but that shouldn't be the case right? I'm suppose to leave from the Washington DC location which is part of B Group, and all the departure locations near where I'm going to live are all part of A Group, so that is a bit of a bummer. I'm planning on just buying myself a one-way ticket to DC the day before departure.

By the way, I heard there is a pre-departure orientation. Is the orientation the day of departure or the day before departure? If it is the day before departure, does the JET program provide hotel accommodations?

Quote Originally Posted by JPNLKatie View Post
    By the way, I heard there is a pre-departure orientation. Is the orientation the day of departure or the day before departure? If it is the day before departure, does the JET program provide hotel accommodations?
    Pre-departure orientation is usually just a couple of lectures, preceded by a roll call, and followed by consular staff handing out your paperwork and passports (with brand spanking new visas in them.) When I left via Chicago, it was the day before departure - at a hotel, with accommodations provided at the same hotel. There was also a dinner hosted by the Consulate-General. In the morning, they then shuttle everyone to the airport (just down the road) and make sure everyone gets on the plane (consular staff goes through security and sees you off at the gate.)

If short-listed, I'd plan on heading out to DC two days early - just in case. Should you miss PDO or the flight JET provides, it's going to be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    Pre-departure orientation is usually just a couple of lectures, preceded by a roll call, and followed by consular staff handing out your paperwork and passports (with brand spanking new visas in them.) When I left via Chicago, it was the day before departure - at a hotel, with accommodations provided at the same hotel. There was also a dinner hosted by the Consulate-General. In the morning, they then shuttle everyone to the airport (just down the road) and make sure everyone gets on the plane (consular staff goes through security and sees you off at the gate.)

If short-listed, I'd plan on heading out to DC two days early - just in case. Should you miss PDO or the flight JET provides, it's going to be fun.
    We didn't get our passports back until we were at the airport, as apparently there had been 'issues' in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Did you interview at DC? Because they call if you're shortlisted. Everything else is by email.

Yes, I interviewed at DC. So they are going to call me? I suppose that'll work too. But if I'm not shortlisted, will they still call me? Or will I get an email saying I'm an alternate/not accepted?

Pretty sure the only place that still does snail mail is the UK? Correct me if I'm wrong but last year I don't think anyone in the US got a letter, only by email, phone, or both.

Yes, I interviewed at DC. So they are going to call me? I suppose that'll work too. But if I'm not shortlisted, will they still call me? Or will I get an email saying I'm an alternate/not accepted?
    They'll email if you're an alternate/not accepted. But yeah, give them a call and let them know about your change of address. They'll definitely want to know--don't worry, they're pretty nice lol.

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
    They'll email if you're an alternate/not accepted. But yeah, give them a call and let them know about your change of address. They'll definitely want to know--don't worry, they're pretty nice lol.
    edit: nevermind. I didn't interview in D.C., so I guess it might be different for me. But every communication I've had so far has been through the computer. Do they generally prefer to let shortlisted's know via other means?
    Last edited by fryfry; February 18th, 2016 at 13:25.
    Last edited by Frap; Today at 18:46. Reason: sucker

Quote Originally Posted by fryfry View Post
    Do they generally prefer to let shortlisted's know via other means?
    DC does, though I don't know about other consulates. I think the Miami coordinator said he prefers calling shortlisters as well.
    Last edited by moonbeam; February 18th, 2016 at 13:33.

I got an email followed up by a letter. They also called me in between to check that I got the email.

If it is the day before departure, does the JET program provide hotel accommodations?
    Oh, and they miiight not provide accommodation. Last year they didn't but apparently Tokyo started phasing it in for some locations? So who knows, you might get it this year. But it's also a ways off so I doubt you have to worry about it now.