Thread: Kumamoto prefecture

Default Kumamoto prefecture

Howdy, long time lurker on the forum. I recently became an alt in Kumamoto prefecture ( still dont know my city yet ) but I was curious if anyone could shed some light on the area. Internet doesnt produce much information lol. Im curious of what to expect, pack and make sure do before I ship off.

Default Re: Kumamoto prefecture

I've only been to the city, which is lovely. I haven't really visited the surrounding areas. That said, be prepared for inaka. You might live an hour from the city or not, not sure. Also it will be hot and muggy. Bring nice, cool, business clothes.

I guess first off, congratulations on what seems to be early placement!

As Kumamoto is in Kyushu it'll be nice and warm down there, so you probably don't need to pack any heavy winter clothes.

I live relatively close to Kumamoto. First of all, Kyushu is awesome so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It can be a bit inaka though, and the Kumamoto JETs I know tend to complain that they have to travel for more than an hour to get to a real city. If you don't mind the slow life, and the possibility of volcanic activity you'll get along fine. Pretty much any amenities you need can be found easily, don't worry about bulk packing too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Kumamoto JETs put together some pretty decent info and website - kumamotojet.com

Unfortunately I'm on the cold side of Japan...

As Kumamoto is in Kyushu it'll be nice and warm down there, so you probably don't need to pack any heavy winter clothes
    Actually.. in Kyushu this year we had a pretty bitter winter and some really heavy snow! Everyone was pretty shocked, I didn't bring winter clothes with me because I heard it was usually warm and ended up having to buy stuff here.

That said, you can either have some bits shipped out to you, but you can definitely buy winter gear here. Though if you have larger feet, maybe bring some boots?
    Last edited by daisychain; March 9th, 2016 at 09:32.

Quote Originally Posted by daisychain View Post
    Though if you have larger feet, maybe bring some boots?
    Go to Sasebo for big gaijin feet. Or Hong Kong. Hong Kong is more interesting and has better shoes, so I'd doubly recommend that.

Lugging boots with you is seriously inefficient.

Also it'll probably be another 40 years before snow falls like that again here.
    Last edited by Ananasboat; March 9th, 2016 at 09:45.

And you can find shoes perfectly well in the city. I have relatively large feet and the typical shoe stores don't have my size, but if I go to a major shoe retailer in Fukuoka it's no problem.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Pup View Post
    As Kumamoto is in Kyushu it'll be nice and warm down there, so you probably don't need to pack any heavy winter clothes.
    Guess you've never been to Aso in the wintertime then?
    Kumamoto is in a fairly good position within Kyushu (i.e. you're not on the peripherals like Sage, Oita and Miyazaki) allowing you pretty good access to Fukuoka (and then on to the mainland) and Kagoshima. Kumamoto city isn't as fun as Fukuoka and Kagoshima, at least in my opinion, but it's better than being in boonies Miyazaki or somewhere like that. Really, it's going to depend on the actual placement and your mindset too. Places like Aso are in the middle of the mountains and the Amakusa area is a group of tiny little islands off the west coast there.
    /\\//\/\ /\\//\/\ /\\//\/\

Im really curious about details of the JET program in terms of salary. Being with early departure i'll be leaving April 9th. I assume i'll be covering someone else's broken contract. Im a little at loss in understand how the japanese school year works. From what I remember reading school gets out in April for summer break and returns in August? Yet during this time you'll still be required to go to work and prepare lessons or do sonething even though the students are not there. How does getting paid work for early departure candidates? Im assuming like most contracts i'll sign it and get paid about a month after I start working? Or is it different for early departure candidates?

Japanese terms are 1-april to july, 2-august to december, 3-january to march. Longest time students are not in school are the 5-6 week summer break from the end of july to the end of august/early september. you will probably be paid around the 21st of each month (sometimes 15th, sometimes 25th, or could be some totally random date if your towns mayor is a lunatic) starting from when you sign your contract but they may alter your first paycheck (if you arrive april 1st and you get paid on april 21st then your first paycheck will only be for 3 weeks).
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

It will probably be easier to get into the flow of things since you come at the start of the school year instead of the middle like most JETs.

That's convenient! Im slightly frealing out as i still dont know what all to bring to japan! How many sticks of deodorant did you bring??

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atrolle View Post
    That's convenient! Im slightly frealing out as i still dont know what all to bring to japan! How many sticks of deodorant did you bring??
    If you have the space, you can probably bring enough to last you for a few weeks/days (until the first paycheck). But basically any bare essentials can be bought once you get there. It'll just be a matter of recognizing the product.

(Such as making sure that what you are buying is really shampoo and not conditioner or etc)

Yeah, just to second what Zolrak said - you could probably pack nothing and be just fine as long as you have money. you should save your freaking out for other things.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

tooth brush, clean pair of underpants and a credit card is all you need to travel the world.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

For the OP: Are you in Kumamoto? Are you safe?
    Last edited by Candy; April 18th, 2016 at 21:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy View Post
    For the OP: Are you in Kumamoto? Are you safe?
    Yeah, I arrived the day before all the Quakes hit. Im fine, much of the city suffered damage including some of my schools but we shall recover . thanks for checking in on me!

Quote Originally Posted by Atrolle View Post
    Yeah, I arrived the day before all the Quakes hit. Im fine, much of the city suffered damage including some of my schools but we shall recover . thanks for checking in on me!
    I blame you.
    Seriously though - what a welcome party.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

I blame you.
    Seriously though - what a welcome party.
    A bit late to the party but hear hear.