Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Those who have or plan to travel with a partner, but not a spouse...thoughts?

  1. #21
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,765

    Default Re: Those who have or plan to travel with a partner, but not a spouse...thoughts?

    You can go to any immigration centre you like. I always go to Sendai as they seem less racist up there. I feel there may be some exaggerations going on with these travel times. 3 hours of driving will take you across 2-3 prefectures if you don't drive like an old lady.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  2. #22
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: Those who have or plan to travel with a partner, but not a spouse...thoughts?

    I live in a large, very rural prefecture. At the time I did this, I lived in a particularly inaka little village in it. It took me almost an hour just to get to the nearest expressway entrance, then an additional two hours from there to one of two immigration offices, both about the same distance from me.

    If the law has changed, kraz, I'm certainly not aware of it. I'm no expert at immigration law in Japan, though. Still, it wasn't *that* long ago that MG and I went through all this. And, sure, realistically, it wasn't *that* hard--we didn't have to write an essay (in Japanese) explaining our "extraordinary circumstances" in detail (the law states this must be provided to the immigration office upon request), the paperwork was intense but doable, but it was nerve-wracking to know that if our particular immigration officer decided to be a d*ck about it, MG's app could have been denied, and she'd have been forced to leave the country. It was a gamble, and it worked out for us, but if you're planning on getting married anyway, why risk it?

    I'm probably biased, though, because I wouldn't move to Japan with someone I wasn't willing to marry.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  3. #23
    Member Cheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: Those who have or plan to travel with a partner, but not a spouse...thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I wouldn't move to Japan with someone I wasn't willing to marry.
    Word

  4. #24

    Default Re: Those who have or plan to travel with a partner, but not a spouse...thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    3 hours of driving will take you across 2-3 prefectures if you don't drive like an old lady.
    Or like a cheap-ass ALT who won't get on the toll-road.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Those who have or plan to travel with a partner, but not a spouse...thoughts?

    So is it worth emailing my local embassy's JET coordinator asking about this, or do you reckon that might not be a great look at this stage? I am mildly concerned that I might not get a placement if I start kicking up a fuss and asking if living with an unmarried partner is okay this early in the process.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Those who have or plan to travel with a partner, but not a spouse...thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by shanshan310 View Post
    So is it worth emailing my local embassy's JET coordinator asking about this, or do you reckon that might not be a great look at this stage? I am mildly concerned that I might not get a placement if I start kicking up a fuss and asking if living with an unmarried partner is okay this early in the process.
    Your JET Coordinator can give you advice, but they're not going to be able to do anything for you practically. Whether or not you can live with someone is up to your contracting organization/landlord, not your consulate or CLAIR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

  7. #27
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,291

    Default Re: Those who have or plan to travel with a partner, but not a spouse...thoughts?

    When I went on JET I asked my JET coordinator about my situation. They were completely useless but acted like the nonsense they spieled made sense.

    I guess sometimes it's good to move forward, right or wrong.

  8. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Those who have or plan to travel with a partner, but not a spouse...thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by shanshan310 View Post
    So is it worth emailing my local embassy's JET coordinator asking about this, or do you reckon that might not be a great look at this stage? I am mildly concerned that I might not get a placement if I start kicking up a fuss and asking if living with an unmarried partner is okay this early in the process.
    Yeah don't do that, there's no point because your consulate can't tell you anything. Wait for your placement and then talk to your pred and see what they think and then talk to your CO and/or landlord. It's up to them. Then cross whatever bridge then put in front of you when you get there.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    143

    Default Re: Those who have or plan to travel with a partner, but not a spouse...thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by shanshan310 View Post
    So is it worth emailing my local embassy's JET coordinator asking about this, or do you reckon that might not be a great look at this stage? I am mildly concerned that I might not get a placement if I start kicking up a fuss and asking if living with an unmarried partner is okay this early in the process.
    I know this isn't a popular thing to say and is a little risky to some extent, but you could "gaijin smash." Just do it. Don't ask for permission or opinions.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Those who have or plan to travel with a partner, but not a spouse...thoughts?

    I feel like "don't ask for permission" is not a good tactic when dealing with customs and immigration.

  11. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Those who have or plan to travel with a partner, but not a spouse...thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    I feel like "don't ask for permission" is not a good tactic when dealing with customs and immigration.
    It wouldn't have anything to do wit customs and immigration. The person would still come over totally legally with a tourist or work (if they found some) visa.

  12. #32
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: Those who have or plan to travel with a partner, but not a spouse...thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by krayziesensei View Post
    I know this isn't a popular thing to say and is a little risky to some extent, but you could "gaijin smash." Just do it. Don't ask for permission or opinions.
    Gonna hafta agree with Oz and krayzi here. MG and I have discovered that a good rule of thumb for Japan is "better to ask forgiveness than permission." And, yeh, your consulate knows f*ck-all about your placement, and there is no unit of "f*cks given" small enough to measure how little of a f*ck they give about an individual JET's placement/situation (barring public embarrassment of some kind).
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •