Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Alternates Thread

Default Re: 2016 Alternates Thread

I just got an email saying I'm an alternate CIR. I have no idea why they sent an email when sydney consulate sent out letters, nor do I know why, if they could send emails, they didnt send it sooner. I'm really disappointed because I honestly really needed to know if I was going or not within the week because I can not make plans for the rest of the year otherwise. Sydney was taking long enough as it was so to finally hear back, only to learn that I have to wait even longer to know, really irritates me. I honestly would have preferred to have been refused because at least that's a concrete answer. I have a lot less hope of being upgraded to a CIR than an ALT - there's a lot more ALT positions to go round after all. (This is actually my second time applying for JET, I was an ALT in 2011-2012. I...dont really know if I want to do that again.)

What I joined to ask about though was Anna.Mod's post, which shocked me. In my email, it says I will know if I am upgraded by the 'first week of December'. I immediately took this as a ridiculous typo and error from whoever wrote the email, and that the sloppiness of sydney consulate was another reason to make me mad. Then I saw your post saying you actually did get notified in December. Is this really that common? It seems unbelievably bizarre to me. Not to mention a nightmare, I would have completely forgotten about it by then.

So...it isnt a typo? Also has anyone ever been an alternate CIR?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

The december window is because there are enough ALTs who bugger off after coming in August that they need to be replaced within their fiscal year.

I've never heard of an upgraded CIR though... I mean, anyone who was driven enough to actually apply for CIR likely wouldn't be turning down that chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

The fact that there are so few CIRs compared to ALTs would mean your chances of upgrading to CIR probably aren't all that great.

I have to imagine it happens though. They may still get people who break contract after arriving. I know in some cases some placements use CIRs basically as glorified ALTs which doesn't go over well with some...

Hey everyone, I'm an alternate out of SF. It sucks, but I've got a few questions about upgrades. If I were to start applying to other companies like Interac, Alita, AEON etc and I find a position in Japan, would I still be able to switch over to the JET Program while on a that visa? Are there any drawbacks, other than completion bonuses on contracts, that I might be incurring by bailing on one of the larger ESL companies in Japan? I think the April intake for most of these companies are over, but would it still be a good idea to apply anyway and see what happens? I'm hoping to teach for a couple of years, and then return to the US and complete a Masters in TESOL or Linguistics. Also, for one final question, on Gaijinpot there are many jobs that require you to be in Japan. Right now, I am free to drop things in the US, go to Japan and walk around for on the ground interviews. Would this be a good idea, or is it safer to apply here in the US, and once accepted fly out to the job?

I'm staying hopeful that I might be upgraded, but since I have so much free time I'd like to spend it on doing more research about teaching English in Japan.

Thanks for reading! Hopefully things get brighter as summer approaches!

Can a Canadian join the pity party?
    Waitlisted out of Calgary..
    On paper I'm the perfect candidate. My application was excellent, interview went very well (i thought). Still an alternate which is a blow to my confidence. I really do not understand the selection progress.

Im really going to have to refocus here. I made a personal promise to myself that i would land a job abroad by the end of summer and thats what Im going to do.

Trying to be positive, does purgatory have cookies? Here's hoping for early upgrades.

Canadians are more than welcome to join the pity party. We have Purgatory Cookies here as well, so try to enjoy your stay! Hopefully it won't be very long.

Seriously, though, I'm sure you will achieve your dream one way or another! Don't give up hope!

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vanillacoke View Post
    What I joined to ask about though was Anna.Mod's post, which shocked me. In my email, it says I will know if I am upgraded by the 'first week of December'. I immediately took this as a ridiculous typo and error from whoever wrote the email, and that the sloppiness of sydney consulate was another reason to make me mad. Then I saw your post saying you actually did get notified in December. Is this really that common? It seems unbelievably bizarre to me. Not to mention a nightmare, I would have completely forgotten about it by then.

I'd say its common enough...I flew with six others from Canada to Tokyo and we were all upgraded late November/early December.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Another Canadian Alternate here! From the east coast.

I'm not overly upset about being an alternate. Actually, for some reason I'm really happy right now. At first, my friend and I read the email together and she was confused by what it meant. One of my friends got short listed and I'm really happy for her and look forward to hearing about her placement. My plans are pretty much up in the air no matter what I do. Still really hoping I'll be short listed.

For now, I'll probably be living as a residence assistant with a group of Japanese exchange students this summer and working odd jobs.

Toronto alternate, the best way to describe the situation would be this quote right here:

Just gotta keep our chins up and wait for those emails/phonecalls...

Quote Originally Posted by vanillacoke View Post
    This is my third year as an alternate CIR. Believe me, it's just like not being accepted, unless you're also on the ALT list (and even then, that's a maybe).
    As for upgrades, the dates may depend from country to country, but you can be upgraded until the first or second week of December.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna.Mod View Post
    I'd say its common enough...I flew with six others from Canada to Tokyo and we were all upgraded late November/early December.
    SIX others? Wow!
    Last edited by AyaReiko; April 5th, 2016 at 13:52.

Quote Originally Posted by AyaReiko View Post

SIX others? Wow!
    Yeah but only six of us made it to our final placements. As soon as we touched down in Tokyo, one of the others found out about a medical emergency in the family and he went back home the same day. I was absolutely heartbroken for him, imagine coming off a 12 hour flight only to go back home in a few hours...
    Last edited by OatsCurrySummer; April 5th, 2016 at 14:05.
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Someone from Chicago already got upgraded, so there's hope for alternates! I've had two friends who were alternates last year and both of them got upgraded.

Hello everyone! I'm an alternate from the San Francisco consulate. Any other SF people here? I'm glad there's a space to talk with others in the same boat. Good luck to you all!

Hey guys, not a long-time lurker, but someone who has checked in maybe 4 or 5 times during this year's application process.

Last week I found out I got alternate status from the Nashville consulate. Words cannot explain how bummed I am, and a week later I'm not quite over it. No matter what people around me tell me it doesn't really help. So maybe some people in a similar situation can help me feel better or move on.

I have applied to other things as a backup (waiting on a final hiring decision from Interac) but like many of you, JET is the way to go. I haven't always wanted to do the JET Program--I actually just found out about it about it about a year ago. But I really don't want to do anything else at this point. I'm a music education/performance major about to graduate in April. For the longest time I was going to go into performance for graduate school but some thumb problems (pretty important when you play the clarinet) and burn out has led me to think of a career change. Currently I want to get a PhD in ethnomusicology with a specialty in Japanese traditional music but would like some time off from school while getting some language/international experience, and that's why I decided to apply for the JET program.

Anyway, I can't quite get over the blow of alternate status. I know I still have a chance, but the uncertainty is killer. I would like to know what my future holds and I am not one to be idle so I would hate to have to wait until possibly December with no guarantee and maybe not even get a position. And I'm afraid to apply to too many other things in fear of getting a call and already having accepted something that would be hard to get out of and look bad on me. Today someone was upgraded from my consulate which makes my anxiety and frustration even worse. I know I shouldn't be lurking on forums, Reddit, and Facebook, etc. but I can't help myself.

One of my friends got short-listed and I'm super happy for her. I started congratulating her before she confirmed she got in. haha Hopefully I will too, this is probably the curse of everyone being certain I would get in and me telling them to stop saying that. I haven't known anyone else personally who's been an alternate. I've been looking around to see if there are any others in the Montreal-Atlantic area.. D:

Quote Originally Posted by RTCA View Post
    Toronto alternate
    Ahh, I was too. Keep your head up, there is still hope! UofT graduate?

Welcome alternates! I haven't met any from my area. Atlanta is slow at getting things done, so I don't expect too much right now.

As for being bummed and not wanting to look into other things, I know that feeling. I can't get myself motivated to get a teaching job because of teaching contracts and things. The uncertainty is terrible.

Not a present alternate. But I do keep following this thread because I was there last year, and I feel your pain. So, some advice to first year applying alternates (Not advice for you, Sam. Since you've done this already and You know I'm still sacrificing goats to pagan goddesses to get you upgraded!) from a previous alternate who did not get to go to Japan, I would say look for other options, and reapply next year. If you want to (and can) definitely hold out until probably around June (that's how long I kept hope).

But, just remember, this isn't the end of the road. Being an alternate (even though it SUCKS) does not mean JET did not think you were fit to be a JET. The opposite, you are a JET, they just don't have a spot for you. Try to do something teaching and/or japan related this year (I did ESL tutoring and started working in a Japanese restaurant :P though the latter was more of an accident). When you reapply, I would be happy to look over your SOP, and I know others in the forum would as well.
    But, here's to hoping all of my advice is useless for everyone of you and you all get upgraded ASAP

Fellow SF alternate here
    Fingers crossed for both of us!

Quote Originally Posted by TBDR2D2 View Post
    Fellow SF alternate here
    Fingers crossed for both of us!
    Yes! Hopefully we'll both get in and will see each other this summer (or perhaps fall)