Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Alternates Thread

Default Re: 2016 Alternates Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Anaïs View Post
    Yes! Hopefully we'll both get in and will see each other this summer (or perhaps fall)
    I hope so too! Good luck!
    Nice to know I'm not alone in this perpetual state of anxiety...

When was your interview? I was Feb 2!
    Last edited by TBDR2D2; April 8th, 2016 at 01:42.

Quote Originally Posted by TBDR2D2 View Post
    I hope so too! Good luck!
    Nice to know I'm not alone in this perpetual state of anxiety...

When was your interview? I was Feb 2 at 3pm!
    Thanks, you too! My interview was on the 1st. Yeah seriously, it's so nice to be able to talk with people in the same situation!

Quote Originally Posted by jaejoa View Post
    One of my friends got short-listed and I'm super happy for her. I started congratulating her before she confirmed she got in. haha Hopefully I will too, this is probably the curse of everyone being certain I would get in and me telling them to stop saying that. I haven't known anyone else personally who's been an alternate. I've been looking around to see if there are any others in the Montreal-Atlantic area.. D:
    Fellow alternate here from Canada! I also had a friend who got shortlisted, and was really unhappy with my results until I realized I would actually be quite happy with the result if I didn't have someone I know get in. Now that I've reined in my bitterness I'm just going to focus on finishing school and hope for the best!
    Last edited by zakharych; December 22nd, 2016 at 12:55.

Quote Originally Posted by zakharych View Post
    Fellow alternate here from Montreal consulate! I also had a friend who got shortlisted, and was really unhappy with my results until I realized I would actually be quite happy with the result if I didn't have someone I know get in. Now that I've reined in my bitterness I'm just going to focus on finishing school and hope for the best!
    Yaaaay, someone else! I take it you interviewed in Montreal? I did mine in Halifax. I wasn't disappointed when I heard my friend got short-listed, mainly because we both come from the same small town and university. I have a lot of friends who move to and from Japan every year so I guess I'm a bit unfazed. haha Everyone has been pretty happy for me to at least be on the alternate list. If not, I'm sure I can next year. Except I might move to Toronto or to the west coast by the fall if I don't hear anything by then.

Unfortunately, if I don't get in this year, it means I'll be in a long distance relationship as my partner is moving back to SE Asia soon. We were really hoping I'd get in to close the distance between us. :/ So the waiting game is going to slowly kill me as time progresses.

Im curious, for you guys that are in Eastern Canada, when is your first round of paperwork due? Ours has to be at the consulate by monday. Pretty crazy considering the large area some colsulates serve. But 4 business days is scary. That being said, it likely means I have a better chance at being upgraded if some cannot get their paperwork in on time.

Calgary consulate by the way.
    Last edited by Dallas306; April 8th, 2016 at 02:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas306 View Post
    Im curious, for you guys that are in Eastern Canada, when is your first round of paperwork due? Ours has to be at the consulate by monday. Pretty crazy considering the large area some colsulates serve. But 4 business days is scary. That being said, it likely means I have a better chance at being upgraded if some cannot get their paperwork in on time.

Mine is due next Friday, the 15th. I have to express mail it because it probably won't arrive in time otherwise. My friend sent hers out today but I can't until tomorrow (last week of classes/project hell).

I'm like snooping on the alternates thread but holy geez I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the one week deadline to be a bit crazy, especially as someone who doesn't live in Calgary. I zoomed to get passport photos taken and zoomed that sucker in.

It's absolutely insane. Luckily, I didn't have school on Tuesday, but had to work in the afternoon. I got up early, went and got photos taken, filled out the paperwork and got it sent off with overnight shipping. Tracking says it was accepted at the consulate a 9:00am on Wednesday.

I live in Saskatoon, so had I not been able to go for a few days, or have shipped it standard, there is no way it would have arrived on time.

I better get upgraded dammit.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Oh, I'm going to chime in right now and say please please please fill out all the necessary documents, even the optional ones because when I got upgraded (and I had long since given up hope by then) I had to get passport photos, a physical, bloodwork, xrays and a police check in the span of three days. Stupid of me for not doing these things before, I know. Just have all the necessary things ready in case you get that upgrade!
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega View Post
    Being an alternate (even though it SUCKS) does not mean JET did not think you were fit to be a JET. The opposite, you are a JET, they just don't have a spot for you.
    I've heard that said before and I expect it's actually more damaging than telling the truth.

You really are a big bundle of sunshine, aren't you?

This forum is full of big bundles of sunshine

You really are a big bundle of sunshine, aren't you?
    Well it's better someone brings a sense of reality with them. The truth is that if you're an alternate, something went wrong in the interview, so it's best to know that and be prepared to address it next time if you have to. Living on Cloud Cuckoo Land won't help anyone.

I have to agree that living with your head in the clouds is certainly setting yourself up for failure, but here's the thing:
    Nothing went wrong in my interview. It went very well actually. My application (i think) was very good. My letters of reference were exceptional (maybe too good).
    I have a degree in applied linguistics and a university-taught 250 hour comprehensive tesl/tefl certificate. I also work in my university's esl department as well as it's linguistics department. I speak decent Chinese, and basic Japanese. I also have experience studying abroad.
    If Jet was solely about quality education, I should be an easy pick.
    If anything, I am overqualified for Jet.
    I was still made an alternate.
    To assume that somebody was made an alternate because 'something went wrong in the interview' is ridiculous.
    I don't pretend to understand how they choose who gets in and who doesn't because lets face it, plenty of people who are accepted do not deserve to be (sorry). Unfortunately for us, the entire process is shrouded in smoke and mirrors.
    Who knows, maybe I didn't come off as overly genki or obsessed with anime like many applicants are.

I'm not trying to be arrogant here, but to assume someone on the alternate list because they were not 'good enough' to be shortlisted is crap.
    My 2 cents.

I have to agree that living with your head in the clouds is certainly setting yourself up for failure, but here's the thing:
    Nothing went wrong in my interview. It went very well actually. My application (i think) was very good. My letters of reference were exceptional (maybe too good).
    I have a degree in applied linguistics and a university-taught 250 hour comprehensive tesl/tefl certificate. I also work in my university's esl department as well as it's linguistics department. I speak decent Chinese, and basic Japanese. I also have experience studying abroad.
    To assume that somebody was made an alternate because 'something went wrong in the interview' is ridiculous.
    I don't pretend to understand how they choose who gets in and who doesn't because lets face it, plenty of people who are accepted do not deserve to be (sorry). Unfortunately for us, the entire process is shrouded in smoke and mirrors.
    Who knows, maybe I didn't come off as overly genki or obsessed with anime like many applicants are.

I'm not trying to be arrogant here, but to assume someone on the alternate list because they were not 'good enough' to be shortlisted is crap.
    My 2 cents.
    I never said anything about "not good enough". There's no difference between alternates and shortlisters once you get to Japan.

What stands is that something happened at interview which suggested to the interviewers you weren't as good a fit as others. Considering your views that many accepted applicants are undeserving or simply "obsessed with anime", I can see where they were coming from.

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

My 2 cents.
    Whew, man, some bitter fruits there. The fact of the matter is that you don't know a) how your interview came off to the people interviewing you and b) how well other people who applied at your consulate did. Even if you did give a supposedly flawless interview, obviously there were some people who presented themselves as better.

As far as being "shrouded in mystery", MiamiCoordinator did a fantastic job of patiently explaining the process multiple times last year. I highly recommend an archive search. And perhaps a dose of humble pie or something to turn down the ego. Jesus.

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

From the thread "Terrible interview, still got into JET?"

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    While I cannot say for sure what other coordinators have done in the past, I know that this is not the case now. The original DC score is on the spread sheet that we send to Tokyo, but that score does not determine your ranking on our recommendation list. Our recommendation list is solely based off the interview. I have never once interviewed someone and said "Well, their interview was lack luster, but they look great on paper, I am recommending him/her."

Granted, there are a large amount of people who do make it into JET that people wonder how they ever made it in, but it could be that they were a low ranking alternate that got lucky, or the more qualified people got better jobs and the socially awkward person got in because of that. I can guarantee though it is not because they had a strong SoP. The paper application is only for getting an actual interview.
    For clarification, since he's referring to the U.S. process, and you seem to be in Canada, the DC score is the tally that the Embassy (which, in the case of the US is located in Washington D.C.) gives when you send in your paper application that gives you enough points to be invited to an interview at a consulate at all. Then, once you are invited to the consulates to interview, the coordinator at the consulate makes a ranking based off of the interview. This is what gets sent off to Tokyo. Tokyo decides how many shortlisters each consulate get (this number varies), and that's how the cut off happens between shortlisters and alternates. This ranking also determines who gets upgraded before placements happen (e.g. Consulate X has 20 people interviewed, and Tokyo says they get 5 shortlisters, then the people ranked 6-20 are alternates. If any of the top five turn it down, it's offered to 6, then 7, and so on, going down the list.) After placements happen the upgrade process leaves the hands of the consulates and is something that Tokyo figures out. But, again, I recommend an archive search for more in depth information and/or before shooting off your mouth next time.
    Last edited by hypatia; April 8th, 2016 at 19:05. Reason: clarification

My 2 cents.
    I got enough of your character from a single forum post that I'm surprised you managed to make alternate.

Truly overqualified people don't use JET anyway.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

My 2 cents.
    Just to throw my own incredibly rarely-seen dog on the pile, your post makes two things wonderfully clear.

The first is that this is exactly the kind of attitude that, if it's a good representation of your actual character, will ensure you a short, lonely and ultimately unfulfilling stay in Japan... if you're upgraded, of course.

The second, and probably more important, is that it is damn lucky JET doesn't hire solely on the quality of someone's education, and that there's a really, really good reason for that.
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.