Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Alternates Thread

Default Re: 2016 Alternates Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Just to throw my own incredibly rarely-seen dog on the pile, your post makes two things wonderfully clear.

The first is that this is exactly the kind of attitude that, if it's a good representation of your actual character, will ensure you a short, lonely and ultimately unfulfilling stay in Japan... if you're upgraded, of course.

The second, and probably more important, is that it is damn lucky JET doesn't hire solely on the quality of someone's education, and that there's a really, really good reason for that.
    Welcome home old fruit.

word - Non-JET Career / Education
    Last edited by Frap; March 6th, 2017 at 13:51.

I know a few things went wrong during my interview. It was one of my first "big" job interviews so I was overly nervous. I also arrived to my interview just after my friend was leaving from hers and she was in tears so I comforted her, but I think it threw me off a bit. haha I think my nervousness made me blank out a bit and I didn't come across as strong of an applicant as my application said. They focused a lot on my application and I think that they actually quite liked it from their questions, but my anxiety got the better of me. But afterwards, I was thinking, wait that's it? I thought it was actually fun by the end and kind of look forward to doing it again if I have to (although hoping not).

Anyway, shit happens. Being an alternate isn't the worst fate. I've had friends be rejected despite putting tons of effort in and having great interviews and who've since found alternative ways to live and teach abroad. What I found helped during my interview was my years of experience assisting Japanese exchange students with their English conversational skills in different settings and talking about how to develop relationships with co-teachers. But I understand why I didn't get in over others and accept it. *shrugs*

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas306 View Post
    I have to agree that living with your head in the clouds is certainly setting yourself up for failure, but here's the thing:
    Nothing went wrong in my interview. It went very well actually. My application (i think) was very good. My letters of reference were exceptional (maybe too good).
    I have a degree in applied linguistics and a university-taught 250 hour comprehensive tesl/tefl certificate. I also work in my university's esl department as well as it's linguistics department. I speak decent Chinese, and basic Japanese. I also have experience studying abroad.
    If Jet was solely about quality education, I should be an easy pick.
    If anything, I am overqualified for Jet.
    I was still made an alternate.
    To assume that somebody was made an alternate because 'something went wrong in the interview' is ridiculous.
    I don't pretend to understand how they choose who gets in and who doesn't because lets face it, plenty of people who are accepted do not deserve to be (sorry). Unfortunately for us, the entire process is shrouded in smoke and mirrors.
    Who knows, maybe I didn't come off as overly genki or obsessed with anime like many applicants are.

I'm not trying to be arrogant here, but to assume someone on the alternate list because they were not 'good enough' to be shortlisted is crap.
    My 2 cents.
    Hello Dallas, how are you?

I would like to begin by apologising for the JET program for not picking you. It's unfortunate that someone of your immense qualifications was over looked for our humble program. In the future, we will work towards ensuring individuals with such extensive qualifications are given the proper respect they deserve. We feel it was an oversight on the part of your consulate, to not choose an individual so certain in their abilities and experiences, that we have made a special request to the Interac program to take you in. We feel, while this is genuinely insufficient compensation for your trials and tribulations, it might provide you a more flexible starting point for your future career in education in Japan.

Sincerely,
    No-one who gives a shit.

Now..

Dude, I have seen people with similar (and better) qualifications than you not get in. You must have come off as something in your interview that was sufficient for the judging panel to low grade you. I know two people personally from my own program who on paper were MUCH better candidates than me (outside of educational experience and mine is about yours), and they weren't even alternated.

And for the record, yes being on the alternate list means everyone in your consulate who was shortlisted scored higher than you. That should give you one of two view points. Either a) If you are that good they must be somewhere near amazing or b) something about yourself needs polishing.

Cheers,
    A retired fifth year shortlister who ever thought must have been an alternate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I think you guys missed the point.

I'm not at all trying to be bitter or upset, believe me I'm not. My point was that it is a big mystery what a candidate is actually scored on.

The only purpose of me posting my qualifications is to show that even if you are actually qualified to teach (without a program like jet), that it makes no guarentees of acceptance.

Again though, i am confident that both my application and interview were very good; thinking back there is honestly nothing i would change.

Im not going to speculate as to where i might have lost points because that is just torturous. All I know is, i worked hard and did my best. My only purpose of going on that rant was I was under the impression that it had been implied that being a waitlist candidate must simply mean you bombed your interview or there is something wrong with you as a candidate.

The only purpose of that post was to use myself as an example. I was just trying to showcase that you can look nearly perfect on paper and still not make it.
    I do apologize if it came off as an arrogant pity party, but I promise it was not that at all.

Maybe I shouldn't make long forum posts while exhausted late at night; It didn't translate well.
    Last edited by Dallas306; April 9th, 2016 at 03:38.

Hey there alternates. I may or may not have been involved in interviews this year as an interviewer (I try to keep things low-key around here).

Being an alternate doesn't mean you're 'not good enough.' Every single person has good and bad aspects of their interview, places where they shine or where they don't quite match up with interviewer's expectations. Being on the alternate list just means you had slightly more bad aspects the next guy, but it doesn't say anything about your character or your intelligence.

Speaking from experience, your consulate does not know where the exact line will be between shortlist and alternate. There are a lot (a lot!) of people on our alternate list who I 100% want on the short-list. Rest assured that if your interviewers thought you were stupid, or weird, or unfit to teach, you would not be on the alternate list.

On the other hand, it does bother me some when people act over-confident about their interview (not going to name any names, but...). At the interview, we are not judging only your credentials - we are mostly judging things that aren't/can't be written in your application - your personality, your flexibility, your reaction to stress.

Anyway, if you're on the alternate list, please don't feel like you were rejected and are JET's back-up or last option. It's been said before, but you were accepted as a JET - there just aren't enough spaces for you. Good luck to everyone, though - hoping for lots of upgrades!
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

Although dullard306 hasn't showed the greatest attitude, as the local JET programme hater, I feel it my duty to point out he does touch upon some valid concerns about the program and process.
    Yes, on paper qualifications don't mean much, but you know what else doesn't mean much? Passing a single 20 minute interview. Not only is it likely that better candidates get passed over for inferior ones, it's about as close to a certainty as we can get in this crazy world of ours.
    Every year JET sends far too many people who are unqualified and terrible at their job to fill positions that could be filled by experienced and well qualified people. Whether or not dumbo306 is one of those passed over who should not have been, I can't say. But it happens often enough that I'm willing to let the poor reject blow off some steam.
    Last edited by mothy; April 9th, 2016 at 08:38.

Thank you?

Dallas, as someone who was waitlisted for their university program, I can understand your frustration. I agree with others that it is important to keep it real, but there's a crapshoot aspect to any kind of large scale hiring process like JET.

Hang in there, man. There's a chance you can still fly out in July, and I hope you do.

Thank you?
    !*

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    It could happen. 1/100.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Although dullard306 hasn't showed the greatest attitude, as the local JET programme hater, I feel it my duty to point out he does touch upon some valid concerns about the program and process.
    Yes, on paper qualifications don't mean much, but you know what else doesn't mean much? Passing a single 20 minute interview. Not only is it likely that better candidates get passed over for inferior ones, it's about as close to a certainty as we can get in this crazy world of ours.
    Every year JET sends far too many people who are unqualified and terrible at their job to fill positions that could be filled by experienced and well qualified people. Whether or not dumbo306 is one of those passed over who should not have been, I can't say. But it happens often enough that I'm willing to let the poor reject blow off some steam.
    * Sees Mothy's comment. Scrolls up to see wtf I missed *

Edit: That was a good read. It's been a long time since I've seen a good ol' fashioned rejected/alternate rant.
    Last edited by Fantasylife; April 9th, 2016 at 10:20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    The only time I use the phone part of my phone is:
    When delivery people call me asking me where the fuck I am
    When school calls me and asks me where the fuck I am
    when I get lost and need to ask people to get me whereever the fuck I am.

Otherwise it NEVER gets used.

I have to agree that living with your head in the clouds is certainly setting yourself up for failure, but here's the thing:
    Nothing went wrong in my interview. It went very well actually. My application (i think) was very good. My letters of reference were exceptional (maybe too good).
    I have a degree in applied linguistics and a university-taught 250 hour comprehensive tesl/tefl certificate. I also work in my university's esl department as well as it's linguistics department. I speak decent Chinese, and basic Japanese. I also have experience studying abroad.
    If Jet was solely about quality education, I should be an easy pick.
    If anything, I am overqualified for Jet.
    I was still made an alternate.
    To assume that somebody was made an alternate because 'something went wrong in the interview' is ridiculous.
    I don't pretend to understand how they choose who gets in and who doesn't because lets face it, plenty of people who are accepted do not deserve to be (sorry). Unfortunately for us, the entire process is shrouded in smoke and mirrors.
    Who knows, maybe I didn't come off as overly genki or obsessed with anime like many applicants are.

I'm not trying to be arrogant here, but to assume someone on the alternate list because they were not 'good enough' to be shortlisted is crap.
    My 2 cents.
    Do realize that you did get in, but that you're just on the wait list. Many people I know were overqualified and put on the alternate list like you too, but were eventually upgraded. The JET Program wants to accept people from many different areas, so it's possible that your consulate just had too many qualified individuals and you just happened to be placed on the alternate list at that consulate. Since you do have many qualifications, you'll probably get upgraded before July. Most people get upgraded. Not all, but most. The first influx is in April (when people are declining/accepting positions), then in late May/early June (when placements are announced), and then the last one is in late June/early July (when people decide "for sure" if they will participate in the program or go on a different path). It's after July when it's more unlikely for an upgrade to happen.

The best steps is to stay on the alternate list, do all of the paperwork, and wait until at least July for an upgrade. Along with that, look into doing other things just in case you don't get upgraded.

Also, since you are on the alternate list, your placement may not be as random as someone who got accepted right away in April. Someone who gets accepted in April may be placed anywhere in Japan since the JET Program is trying to fill in all of the open positions. When you are an alternate, your placement preferences may be taken into more consideration. I say this because I was also on the wait list, but then got upgraded later. After 1-2 weeks, I found out that I got my 1st choice preference for my placement. So there could be an upside or downside to being on the wait list. The only downside is that you're basically in limbo right now, not knowing if you'll be upgraded or not. But there's still hope.

Good luck!
    Last edited by richief_611; April 9th, 2016 at 14:26.

Thank you all, for the kind words (and not so kind) i appreciate any and all of it. I realize that I came off as an ass in my earlier post and that was not at all intentional. I promise that I actully a very down to earth person, but Im also human, so its difficult not to become frustrated.

Anyway, if we could move on from me it would be appreciated. I'll start off, are any alternates considering other esl related options or other options in general? I've looked at a few dispatch agencies myself but am mostly interested in direct boe jobs. I would also consider going back to Taiwan for the right gig but in general the teaching landscape there is pretty grim these days.

Keen to here what other's plan Bs might be.
    Last edited by Dallas306; April 9th, 2016 at 13:57.

Hey Dallas306, since I still have to get my posts authorized by a mod many people didn't see what I wrote/asked a few pages ago.

I'm an alternate out of SF. I've been looking to apply to some other places like Interac, AEON, and I was also lucky enough to meet a recruiting division manager from Alita when he came by my college last Spring semester. So my thoughts for my plan B and on being an alternate flows like this: over the next few weeks I apply to other ALT positions in Japan, if those fail I hit my Dad's contacts with friends who own businesses in Japan/have reliable contacts in Japan, after that I'll try applying on gaijinpot, Dave's ESL cafe, and if all of these fail I cry my way to apply for a teaching track/masters in education/increasing my alcohol tolerance in Missouri while living with my parents.

I think I'm also pretty frustrated with the program and how vague some responses can be sometimes. I don't think this is a bad reaction to being given an alternate position, with no ranking, no criteria or explanation from the consulate. I am very grateful for being offered an alternate position, but on that same note I'll be applying to other places and seeing if I can't find a comparable job that leads me towards working in an International school or working as a college professor. That's my dream at least, and I'll be following it!

I have to say, its nice to see someone with similar views and aspirations. Its refreshing to see others who wish to pursue teaching as a career and see jet as a viable starting point. It's definately frustrating being in purgatory but Im hopeful for now. Upgrades could happen as early as next week from my consulate so its going to be hard to focus on other things. Im certainly going to be focusing on other options but as of now, im not exactly sure which to pursue.

I give you big props for looking at your future as sometimes that is a difficult thing to do.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Dallas306; April 9th, 2016 at 16:04.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Just to throw my own

Do my eyes deceive me?

Is the ol' dog back in town ?

Is #MakeITILGreatAgain back in motion?

Doubtful....

(Sorry for the off topic post)

Gosh, no need to pile on the guy though. Even as an example it sounded at the very like a humble brag.

Coordinators have stated that the interview scores are what determine your final "slot" in the list.

Now keep in mind, the list doesn't necessarily go by number when choosing a candidate, if the placement wants a Canadian alt with knowledge in French, then the American Genius isn't even gonna be considered (Even if he's first place).

But that subpar Canadian with the basic French might get it if he's the only one that fits the criteria.

This place has been quite active lately, hasn't it? so, bit of an update. I took the whole "get on with your life" thing a bit too seriously and applied like a mad man for other overseas teaching jobs... And now I have interviews. I guess if I get any other overseas position, it wouldn't be feasible for me to take JET if I do get called, hm?

Also, hi, Dallas! I am also pursuing teaching as a career!

I'm not looking at any alternatives for this year, but if I don't really hear anything by September I was thinking of at least going for my TESL certificate with some of the money I have saved. South Korea was also my first option over Japan, but JET was the easiest one for me to apply to this year. Other than that, I'm pretty open to moving just about anywhere. I may have to move to SE Asia for personal reasons but that's also where I have the most teaching connections.

I'm not currently looking to make a career out of teaching, but want to work in some vicinity with recent immigrants and refugees to Canada in the future. I haven't lived abroad before nor am I sufficient yet in another language but I'm trying to change that. I didn't have this revelation until about halfway through my degree. I'm hoping to move somewhere where I can at least have the option of taking language courses, as my university didn't offer many. I'd like to study more French, Mandarin, Japanese, and Korean if I can.

In the meantime, I'm probably going to have to move back home until I can save a bit of money to move somewhere else in Canada. Besides work, I really want to find some volunteer opportunities and to work on writing. Moving somewhere in Asia is a priority because my partner will be there until he can move back to Canada. I'm also really partial to Taiwan because that is where most of my friends have enjoyed visiting/living.

I have a lot of friends in Japan and some who are licensed English teachers there. One Japanese friend in particular is awesome and he's going to make a great English teacher. He's nervous about his English but he's also taken every opportunity he could to study and become fluent in it. We both agreed we would try our best to become ESL teachers. Another friend I recently made is also working towards becoming an English teacher and had an ALT in her high school whom she really liked and inspired her to go that route. The students I've met in the past four years have been huge contributors towards the reason I want to teach in Japan. They've also been crazy supportive of me wanting to teach there.

Hey there everybody, another Alternate here to lick my wounds.

In my case I am pretty sure I know where I went wrong in my interview, and am surprised I made it in as an Alternate! Of course, I can be a bit of a sad person so that might just be the negativity talking, ha ha. I actually graduated in December, so I am just working at my part time job now while sulking here and there. My class walks in May, so I think I will wait until then before I start looking at serious jobs. I have been sending my resume out to places I think "Hey, I might pass up a job with JET if I could get THIS", and got a few offers to come interview for better jobs than where I am at, but I am not going to jump on them quite yet. Playing the field helps a bit. The way I see it the first wave of upgrades will start after the paperwork is due, with a second after placements, and a smaller one in June, and since I already spent some money on getting my graduation stuff in order I figured I may as well wait for that then if I hear nothing fully throw myself into a new adventure.

As for me, this year, just coming out of college, I think I was on paper the strongest I could be for the program so I am not certain if I will apply again next year. Most people who applied and put on the list are still young, so I can only hope we are all in pretty good places!

This place has been quite active lately, hasn't it? so, bit of an update. I took the whole "get on with your life" thing a bit too seriously and applied like a mad man for other overseas teaching jobs... And now I have interviews. I guess if I get any other overseas position, it wouldn't be feasible for me to take JET if I do get called, hm?
    Good luck on your interviews! You could find something that would be even more amazing than JET while you are out there, life has a way of surprising us when we least expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Good luck on your interviews! You could find something that would be even more amazing than JET while you are out there, life has a way of surprising us when we least expect it!
    thanks! They are just language schools, so, you know, not great jobs, but something to do until I can apply for JET next year. I'm still holding my breath for an upgrade before I lock myself into a contract with either a language school or something here in the USA.

I'm on my first semester out of college as well. what did you major in?

I'm on my first semester out of college as well. what did you major in?
    English, the sexiest of all disciplines. I figure a bit more waiting won't kill me, and I can take it a little easy while I try to find some good opportunities and think about where I want to go from here.

Up note! The deadline for turning stuff in is this week!