Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Earthquake 2016 victims

Default Japanese Earthquake 2016 victims

As I'm sure most people here are aware Japan has been hit with two earthquakes in the last few days measuring 7.0 and 6.3 - leaving 29 dead and 1500 injured. This figure is expect
    Last edited by Numerouno; April 16th, 2016 at 23:18.

Default Re: Japanese Earthquake 2016 victims

This should probably be moved out of applying and into the general Japan section.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    This should probably be moved out of applying and into the general Japan section.
    Good call.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Hope all JETs are ok. Tragically, there have been a number of deaths reported. Please check in with people you know in the area to ensure they are safe. Thoughts are with those injured and killed
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

From the information I have as of this morning (in Japan), of the 779 JETs in Kumamoto and surrounding prefectures, 588 have been confirmed as safe, 34 have been evacuated (but still safe and uninjured), and 47 are unconfirmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

Did facebook activate their safety check?
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Well, at least CLAIR is going to get their money's worth with that whole ATOK system they bought. So long as JETs have internet or phone they should be able to check in.

I didn't see anything about Facebook, but I'm on the other side of the country. Yahoo has their disaster relief stuff active though (for what that's worth.)

Yeah, there's the safety check on Facebook, and everyone I know's checked it off. I heard from a friend that there are a lot of ALTs in shelters right now.

So, my question, I'm nearby and want to go in at some point to help clean up. Where and when would you guys suggest I do it?

Do you have any skills? First aid? Translation? Disaster response? Construction?
    Do you have any resources? A truck full of drinking water? Blankets? Food?
    If not then just donate some cash and hang back. The last thing people in shelters want are a bunch of slack jawed tourists getting in the way and high fiving each other about how awesome they are for giving up their Saturday mornings.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I saw a newspaper article this morning how they're asking for unskilled people (yay me) to help with the clean up, because there are lots of destroyed houses needing to be cleaned up. I'm just wondering what direction I should look in.

Wow, I'm agreeing with Ini...
    /\\//\/\ /\\//\/\ /\\//\/\

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    I saw a newspaper article this morning how they're asking for unskilled people (yay me) to help with the clean up, because there are lots of destroyed houses needing to be cleaned up. I'm just wondering what direction I should look in.
    Most of those unskilled people will be able to speak fluent Japanese and will be there for reasons other than self-congratulatory selfie potential. Leave it to them.

Datto I want to help the savages!

If you really want to help then contact the Kumamoto city volunteer center (096-288-2748), turn up and fill in a questionnaire and then they will send you where you are needed based on your skill set. Don't just turn up with the AJET mutual masturbation goon squad or the Nigerian missionary church of Jesus Christ.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

AJET mutual masturbation goon squad
    Looool

If you really want to help then contact the Kumamoto city volunteer center (096-288-2748), turn up and fill in a questionnaire and then they will send you where you are needed based on your skill set. Don't just turn up with the AJET mutual masturbation goon squad or the Nigerian missionary church of Jesus Christ.
    Surely winning internet arguments is a highly-sought skill for volunteers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Surely winning internet arguments is a highly-sought skill for volunteers.
    Sure but what does that have to do with Ananasboat?

Sure but what does that have to do with Ananasboat?
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Kyushu's shaking again!
    /\\//\/\ /\\//\/\ /\\//\/\

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodInStrafeMode View Post
    Kyushu's shaking again!
    That one was in Yufuin, right? Goddamn, why didnt I just pay the extra twenty bucks for travel insurance, I just want to stay home for Golden Week now.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.