Thread: Stay at home mom/dad

Default Stay at home mom/dad

So either I'm bad at searching or there simply isn't any information on this, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience applying as a stay at home mom/dad. I served for six years in the Navy as a Spanish Linguist and then 3 years as a preschool teacher before I became a stay at home mom. I'm 29 years old with a 6 and 7 year old, happily married in the US. I applied for the JET program maybe 5 years ago, while I was still working and before my kiddos started school. Back then I had lots of references and I was just finishing up my Masters, now I don't work (aside from housework), so I don't know who I could use as references. I don't volunteer anywhere and I'm not very active in my children's school (they have an over abundance of help there). I think my family and I are at a better place now than we were 5 years ago to take on an adventure like this, I'm just not sure where to begin on the application process. I know I don't fit the mold of the typical JET applicant but any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

Default Re: Stay at home mom/dad

I imagine you'd be conscientious than the yelllow-fevered clowns in ill-fitting suits they ship over every year. That said, you'd likely still need to beef up your CV after 5 years at home.

Start by volunteering and helping out at the rugrats' school. A TEFL and learning basic Japanese wouldn't go amiss either.

I had to giggle at that, thank you. Also, thank you for the advice.

seconding mrcharisma. volunteer volunteer volunteer. both of my references were from places i volunteered at - i find volunteer organizations write better reference letters than employers, actually.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Agreed, and if you have a Japanese community in your area, consider getting involved with them. Toronto has a Japanese Cultural Center with tons of art, language and martial arts classes as well as large festivals, Japanese movie nights and artisans' markets. I volunteered a lot for them and since the Japanese community in Toronto is fairly close knit, the people at JET already knew the people I listed as references.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

There's been a lot of great advice on here. I second getting involved in local Japanese clubs and activities. Jgo language study groups. Try to st up a language exchange with some Japanese peeps (if there are any) in your area. Also, if you've kept in touch with some of your professors from Uni, they could write your letters of recommendation. That's what I did.