Thread: 29 hours

Default 29 hours

So I recieved a welcome email and the Terms and Conditions from my BoE and something struck me as kinda weird. The contract is for a part-time position at 29 hours p/w, while everything else I've seen has said that JET is a full time position at 30-35 hours p/w.

I was also under the impression that things like contracted working hours per week were set by CLAIR and couldn't be altered by the BoE. I've also heard that this is a common method companies use to skip the 50% contributions into the health and pension funds. So now I assume I need to cover these all myself, which is fine (I guess) but some clarity would be useful.

I have a list of questions I'm sending them this week, and this is one of them, but I thought I'd see what you guys think.

Default Re: 29 hours

Thats wrong, a JET contract is for 35 hours a week. There could be an innocent explanation for all this. BOEs in Saitama in particular have been flipping back and forth between JET and dispatch companies and direct hires for the last 10 years. If the ALT supervisor is new to the role this year the common thing to do is just to pull an old contract out the alt file and update the year on it. The whole part time/29 hours thing sounds like the standard contract dispatch companies use and is commonly used for lower level direct hire positions as well. Rather than get too aggressive ask them to confirm if it is a part time or full time position and maybe include links to the english and japanese versions of the GIH.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Awesome, many thanks.

Nope, they're sticking to their part-time story.

I've got the contact details of an ALT already at the school so I could swing it by him, but it seems a little weird to just start asking a complete stranger about his finances n' shit. I guess I could ask CLAIR about it but those guys seem like they really don't want to be contacted. Besides, I really don't wanna create any tension with the BoE before I even get on the plane.

The thing is, I don't really mind either way. I just don't like the conflicting information; it makes the whole thing feel kinda sketchy.

CLAIR doesn't like to be contacted because mostly they're contacted over annoying bullshit. This sounds like a legitimate concern.

Of course, if they actually honor the contract and you don't work more than 29 hours a week, that might be a pretty cool gig. My experience says that won't be the case though.

If they don't give you the right position, though, you could get screwed in the end. Maybe the hours and such make you unable to be exempt from taxes? I haven't gotten there myself yet but a lot can go wrong and it'll wind up on your lap if they give you the wrong hours, I think. This definitely sounds like something to talk to CLAIR about. I don't think trying to find this out will cause tension with the BoE; it is your right to know why something is different than promised.