Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Grammar question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    7

    Default Grammar question

    Grammar question that my JTE asked me: Can you say "Japan is in the north in Asia" and why is it correct / incorrect?

    Additional Question: What's the justification of asking students to write their name in the Japanese style? It just promotes confusion because if they want their partner to use the proper name they have to clarify anyway (as what Yuki does in Sunshine pg 25: "I'm Yuki, Sayama Yuki")
    Last edited by Intrepid; June 30th, 2016 at 13:39. Reason: Just Cause.

  2. #2
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,379

    Default Re: Grammar question

    Grammar is fine, I think, though maybe not such natural phrasing.

    But north? Siberia is north asia. I think of Japan as east asia.

  3. #3
    The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: Grammar question

    North of Asia sounds better in my head.

  4. #4
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,379

    Default Re: Grammar question

    Wouldn't north of asia be beyond asia to the north?

  5. #5
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,772

    Default Re: Grammar question

    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Wouldn't north of asia be beyond asia to the north?
    indeed.

    zolrak displaying the skills that managed to secure his JET rejection.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Grammar question

    Add "in the" to the front and Zolrak's isn't quite as fucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  7. #7
    Looking for some chaw acpc2203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,550

    Default Re: Grammar question

    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    indeed.

    zolrak displaying the skills that managed to secure his JET rejection.
    This must be the case, the latent serial killer vibe is far too common among JETs for that to be the reason.

  8. #8
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,379

    Default Re: Grammar question

    But the main point is that someone needs to look at a map.

  9. #9
    The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: Grammar question

    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Wouldn't north of asia be beyond asia to the north?
    Not saying it is, talking about the sentence.

    As in, "Japan is in the north of Asia."

  10. #10
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,379

    Default Re: Grammar question

    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Not saying it is, talking about the sentence.

    As in, "Japan is in the north of Asia."
    Yeah, that's fine. But I think the original sentence is fine too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •