Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Applications: Placements Megathread

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Default Re: 2016 Applications: Placements Megathread

Quote Originally Posted by fryfry View Post
    No pictures or other info on the apartment itself. Then again, I don't know if I have any other options, so replying with questions might be a waste of time.
    Even if there wasn't a choice, it doesn't hurt to ask for pictures.

With an excuse of knowing what to look forward to, or another "positive sounding" reason.

I guess I'll reply with my consent but ask for other information, if available, as well (pictures, furnishing, location, etc.). Since my contact says he is "in charge" of the ALT for my city, I'm assuming that means he is my supervisor. Also my predecessor hasn't contacted me yet, so I'm not even sure that I have one. Guess I'll throw that on my list of questions.
    Last edited by Frap; Today at 18:46. Reason: sucker

Just got my placement! Got placed in Yosano-cho, Kyoto! Which is great because the Kyoto prefecture was my second choice! There's not a lot of information on it online! Anyone know anything? XD

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFang View Post
    Just got my placement! Got placed in Yosano-cho, Kyoto! Which is great because the Kyoto prefecture was my second choice! There's not a lot of information on it online! Anyone know anything? XD
    Make sure you have a car it's quite rural up that way. In terms of time your nearest big city might actually be Kobe, there's an expressway straight there from Maizaru.

Junior Member downloadablecontent's Avatar

Is anyone else headed to Gunma-ken? My placement is in Tamamura-machi, but I haven't been able to find out much about the area online. My predecessor started off by saying it's not as bad as the horror stories I'd likely heard...wondering if that should be cause for concern, haha.

For those who haven't heard from their predecessors or even their BOEs, or if the contact you've gotten has not really been what you were expecting, please let me explain.

I am the person who has been at my BOE the longest. That means that not a single person in my BOE has ever dealt with a new JET. Staff changes are frequent, and I'd say it's likely that your supervisor or other people that you are dealing with do not know what they're doing. They also probably don't speak English.

No one at the BOE told me about my successor. I had to go in and ask myself. Then no one could find my successor's application because it had gotten misplaced, so I had to wait to get the contact info. The reason I went out of my way to contact my successor was because my predecessor was a selfish twat who never contacted me, so I remember very clearly how anxious I was to hear from someone in my town as soon as possible. A lot of departing JETs are probably thinking more about what they'll be doing in August than thinking about talking to the newb.

Just some perspective for those who are still waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by downloadablecontent View Post
    Is anyone else headed to Gunma-ken? My placement is in Tamamura-machi, but I haven't been able to find out much about the area online. My predecessor started off by saying it's not as bad as the horror stories I'd likely heard...wondering if that should be cause for concern, haha.
    I know nothing about the job part, but I do know a little about the town, for private reasons I won't go into.
    Tamamura doesn't have a lot, but compared to other towns without a lot going for it, I'd say it's pretty nice. It's got a university there, so it doesn't skew as old as most Japanese small towns. It's close to Takasaki and Maebashi which are both decent small cities. From Takasaki you can catch one train into Tokyo, which takes, if I remember right, an hour and a half. So, while it's not something you'd want to do every day, it's something you can do occasionally to break the small town monotony.
    Although it's possible to survive without a car there, if I lived there I'd want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Isola View Post
    For those who haven't heard from their predecessors or even their BOEs, or if the contact you've gotten has not really been what you were expecting, please let me explain.

I am the person who has been at my BOE the longest. That means that not a single person in my BOE has ever dealt with a new JET. Staff changes are frequent, and I'd say it's likely that your supervisor or other people that you are dealing with do not know what they're doing. They also probably don't speak English.

No one at the BOE told me about my successor. I had to go in and ask myself. Then no one could find my successor's application because it had gotten misplaced, so I had to wait to get the contact info. The reason I went out of my way to contact my successor was because my predecessor was a selfish twat who never contacted me, so I remember very clearly how anxious I was to hear from someone in my town as soon as possible. A lot of departing JETs are probably thinking more about what they'll be doing in August than thinking about talking to the newb.

Just some perspective for those who are still waiting.
    this fits well with what I've seen in the past week. a rep of my BOE went ahead and contacted me to let me know about my housing and documents pertaining to my position. I asked a few questions, but also asked for my pred's contact info since I don't want to make a lot of demands of the guy (he's trying with me, but doesnt seem fluent in English). he got right back to me with that. Now that I'm in touch with my pred they seem very helpful, but for a while I was starting to get nervous about the coming month.

it did kind of make me wonder if my pred had been given any info about me before I emailed them.
    Last edited by fryfry; June 20th, 2016 at 16:45.

Here in Hiroshima prefecture we are anxiously awaiting news of our successors. Even are supervisors would like to know. The BOE told my supervisor it will be July 1st.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    The only time I use the phone part of my phone is:
    When delivery people call me asking me where the fuck I am
    When school calls me and asks me where the fuck I am
    when I get lost and need to ask people to get me whereever the fuck I am.

Otherwise it NEVER gets used.

I suppose it's not surprising that it would take a while to distribute all the information on every JET that gets placed every year. if it's just a matter of sending accepted applications to BOE's, though, it's slightly perplexing. ;p
    Last edited by fryfry; June 21st, 2016 at 06:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasylife View Post
    Here in Hiroshima prefecture we are anxiously awaiting news of our successors. Even are supervisors would like to know. The BOE told my supervisor it will be July 1st.
    I'm an incoming Hiroshima peep, so good to know a possible date range, bad to know its about as far away as expected. (Although just realized thats only a little over a week away) But then I am sure it will take a few days for the news to trickle down to us incoming JETs.

Damn, Hiroshima was one of my preferences. Pretty much anywhere would've been okay besides where I ended up. Heck, I was begging for a rural placement. Wouldn't be so bad if one could transfer or swap.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Damn, Hiroshima was one of my preferences. Pretty much anywhere would've been okay besides where I ended up. Heck, I was begging for a rural placement. Wouldn't be so bad if one could transfer or swap.
    And a few threads down there are dozens of alternates who would kill to be placed anywhere at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Any alternate who would be killed to be placed ought to be killed. They are exactly the type of overly focused person jet DOES NOT NEED.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

If any Hiroshima people are reading this, you will definitely hear from your Preds next week. My neighbor recieved her successor information today and I will get mines Monday.

If any Hiroshima people are reading this, you will definitely hear from your Preds next week. My neighbor recieved her successor information today and I will get mines Monday.
    This is so great to hear. I have been dying to know my placement. *Tries to remain calm and stoic*

My neighbor recieved her successor information today and I will get mines Monday.
    Going to give out words of wisdom, or a warning of what's to come?

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Going to give out words of wisdom, or a warning of what's to come?
    Yeah, I've been thinking long and hard about this. I don't want to kill the new guy (girl's) excitement about coming here, but I don't want to hold back information the way my pred did. The one thing I do plan to do is keep my personal feelings about the situation out of my report, so no gripes about certain teachers, etc.

I think I'm going to take a don't ask, don't tell approach, for example, start by giving them only the facts about the placement (you'll be living here, working here, teaching these grades, etc.) but only give them additional information if they ask for it and be honest in my responses.

To to tell the truth I'm a little worried about who I get. I've been talking to one possible successor and she seems like a delicate little thing. She's scared about lesson planning and teaching on her own. She said she wouldn't know what to do. When I gave her bits of information about my placement (100% lesson planning on your own, little to no JTE support, extremely unmotivated, low level students) she said something of the equivalent that my placement would be her worse nightmare. I personally hope I get a guy because I think a guy would be able to rough it out more. The only reason I didn't end up being a flyjin is because my own high school was similar to the ones I'm teaching at.

Well, whoever I get, I just hope they aren't delicate. If you're fresh out of school with no real life experience, my placement will grow you up fast.

The only reason I didn't end up being a flyjin is because my own high school was similar to the ones I'm teaching at.
    I always pegged you as a survivor, so I knew you'd make it through the whole thing.

Still, I certainly would appreciate a fair warning in regards to the general situation. (Even if it might be a bit biased) Better than going in blind.

Oh and the stories about the teachers and etc, those would have been nice to hear in the rant threads (or VIP section if you were worried about sharing personal information).

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    I certainly would appreciate a fair warning in regards to the general situation. (Even if it might be a bit biased) Better than going in blind.
    Thankfully that's not something you've had to worry about since you started applying for Jet.