Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Current & Former JETs - Your best and worst experience as a JET?

Default Re: Current & Former JETs - Your best and worst experience as a JET?

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
    sitting in the back while they pretend I don't exist.
    That's how I envision my wedding night.

Quote Originally Posted by n107 View Post
    Actually, all of my truly "bad" days in Japan came after JET. Of course I had better days than others while a JET but nothing too terrible and as I think about it in hindsight, no big incidents come to mind.

If I had to choose something, I'd say the worst thing that happened was shortly after I arrived at my placement. It was probably my second day at work in August. My JTE/supervisor said she would take me to the preschool for introductions and I'd stay there for an hour in the morning. She dropped me off and I had tea and met the teachers. Then they showed me into the large hall, led in a group of 0-4 year old children and told me to start my 50 minute lesson. Did not see that coming.
    What did you do in that circumstance. I am trying to rack my brain for an on-the-spot 0-4 yr old activity and im coming up blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega View Post
    What did you do in that circumstance. I am trying to rack my brain for an on-the-spot 0-4 yr old activity and im coming up blank.
    You'd have to come up with like 8-10 activities that don't involve any supplies. I can think of a few (sing head shoulders knees and toes or any other kids songs you know, count to 10, teach them to play English rock paper scissors, teach some emotion words and have them act them out...), but eventually you'd just look at the preschool teachers with desperation in your eyes and hopefully one of them would help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

I get the feeling Japan is glad you're out too.

indeed

Japan shits upon many. At least he has the brains to realize he was shat upon.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Japan shits upon many. At least he has the brains to realize he was shat upon.
    Seconded.

Mrcharisma Its flattering to say I meant that much. Just one in a revolving line of big nosed small faced gaijin to be mendokusai to wa of the japanese workplace. ..For all you jets out there wanting to stay in Japan. I had managed to network myself into a 5 year contract position at a local university with better pay and summers off, but by that point I was so fed up with Japan I turned down the golden ball and chain and went home. I'm glad I did, but if you want to stay, just work hard, network have a little luck and you can get a job offer to turn down too.
    Last edited by Thunderfoot; June 17th, 2016 at 09:51.

It happens when you don't drive

You could afford to go snowboarding regularly but you couldn't afford train fare?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

everyone knows that adults have their train fares paid for them by their employer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

As a one off for the typical jet. It's soul crushing when at graduation, you watch your kids bawling their eyes out, thank every teacher but you.

And it's redeeming when a couple not only remember you, but go out of their way to talk to you after you've left.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    everyone knows that adults have their train fares paid for them by their employer!
    It's common for a teacher to have this in my prefecture. It was suggested by my japanese coworkers. I wasn't asking for it all to be paid for. Just enough to get by. Also, BOE do their homework before these things. Can drive/ can't drive etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
    I wasn't looking for the whole thing. Just something to make it affordable. I don't know about your prefecture but it's common to have travel stipends in mine.
    It isn't common here that I'm aware of. I don' know why it would be an expectation. If you've taken a job that you can't afford to get to, then you've chosen employers poorly. If they transfer you to a new school in the district you can't afford to get to, you've accepted pay you never should have agreed to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    It isn't common here that I'm aware of. I don' know why it would be an expectation. If you've taken a job that you can't afford to get to, then you've chosen employers poorly. If they transfer you to a new school in the district you can't afford to get to, you've accepted pay you never should have agreed to.
    Wasn't my choice to go there. They changed assignments after I signed the contract. It happens sometimes in life. You give it a try. I ended up not liking it.
    Last edited by Thunderfoot; June 17th, 2016 at 09:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    You could afford to go snowboarding regularly but you couldn't afford train fare?
    I bought a board and boots for 6000 yen at Second Street. We didn't go often, they are japanese teachers after all. I was just writing something positive. And yes the train fare really was too expensive.

It's common for a teacher to have this in my prefecture.
    you weren't a teacher. they aren't paying for the janitor to be helicoptered in every day either.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    It happens when you don't drive
    touche

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    you weren't a teacher. they aren't paying for the janitor to be helicoptered in every day either.
    I can see why you chose a guy who looks like hitlers brother to be your profile pic.
    Last edited by Thunderfoot; June 17th, 2016 at 10:29.

I can see why you chose a guy who looks like hitlers brother to be your profile pic.
    Hey Mosley was a highly respected Fascist.