Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Current & Former JETs - Your best and worst experience as a JET?

Default Re: Current & Former JETs - Your best and worst experience as a JET?

Every school I've ever worked at has paid my transportation costs. Of course, it was in my contract. If it wasn't in your contract, then they're within their rights to not pay for it. Really is a sound business decision on their part. Why just give you extra money? Thanks to a relentless supply of gaij all wet to let Japan stick it's dick in them, you're easily replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
    As a one off for the typical jet. It's soul crushing when at graduation, you watch your kids bawling their eyes out, thank every teacher but you.

And it's redeeming when a couple not only remember you, but go out of their way to talk to you after you've left.
    What? You lost me there.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    If it wasn't in your contract, then they're within their rights to not pay for it. Really is a sound business decision on their part. Why just give you extra money? Thanks to a relentless supply of gaij all wet to let Japan stick it's dick in them, you're easily replaced.
    i completely agree. Still shitty tho. Those sly dogs.
    Last edited by Thunderfoot; June 17th, 2016 at 13:19.

Worst experience, eh? Explaining why a sentence a JTE wrote on the board didn't work (after class), and having him tell me my understanding of English is based on my "feelings and unconscious."

I am an English Language Arts teacher back home.

*mic drop*
    I get to stand at the front of the classroom quietly until they command me to bark English.

Quote Originally Posted by LilMitsuko View Post
    Worst experience, eh? Explaining why a sentence a JTE wrote on the board didn't work (after class), and having him tell me my understanding of English is based on my "feelings and unconscious."

I am an English Language Arts teacher back home.

*mic drop*
    To be fair I would say about 90% of ALTs will try to contradict their JTEs based on "it doesn't feel right" and not be able to explain it better. That's why you have to learn the terminology in Japanese to really argue with them. It still probably won't persuade them but at least you can stitch them up in front of the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    To be fair I would say about 90% of ALTs will try to contradict their JTEs based on "it doesn't feel right" and not be able to explain it better. That's why you have to learn the terminology in Japanese to really argue with them. It still probably won't persuade them but at least you can stitch them up in front of the kids.
    I'm pretty much fluent and tried to explain my reasoning to him in Japanese with some English. Even so, he refused to believe that what I was telling him was true and chalked it up to "feelings and unconscious".

He also claims America stole the words "anything" and "something" from French and that's why we don't know how to use them properly.
    I get to stand at the front of the classroom quietly until they command me to bark English.

Americans are dirty thieves, so checks out.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    I'm pretty much fluent and tried to explain my reasoning to him in Japanese with some English. Even so, he refused to believe that what I was telling him was true and chalked it up to "feelings and unconscious".

He also claims America stole the words "anything" and "something" from French and that's why we don't know how to use them properly.

Now imagine how it is when you're a graduate of a high level linguistics program, with your Uni ESL teaching cert, and the ability to explain shit in Japanese and they say that. All the hates for those teachers.

Also WTF is that about us stealing anything and something from French? Thing is Germanic.... like damn near proto-germanic, as are any and some....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Worst:

1) Teaching elementary school and having a few HRTs who treated English like an annoyance/
    wanted to use "Hi, Friends" for older students who had learned that material years earlier.

2) Having AC in the staffroom and not using it because "it's not fair to the kids."

3) Godawful kyuushoku you couldn't opt out of.

4) Having to sit around doing nothing most of the time because the teachers wanted to plan lessons themselves and didn't have anything for me to do.Being bored out of my skull when there were no classes was my life. I felt really guilty about it because I knew JETs whose schools had them plan every single lesson.

Best:

1) I'd say over 95% of my students were a joy to work with. My second and last year was hard, emotionally, but it was worth it to stay for them alone.

2) Great BoE. They took good care of all the JETs in town and didn't make us go in there in August. So we got three weeks of nenkyuu none of the other
    prefecture JETs had.

3) Most of my HRTs were great people (even the Hi,Friends ones). Out of all my schools, I only had one HRT I could not stand. Enkais were always fun. They would drive me home on typhoon days after a couple of hours and pick me up if it was snowing too much to bike in.

4) BoE gave me a wonderful apartment. I still miss it (If you added insulation, a dryer, and a garbage disposal, it would have been perfect). If there was ever an issue, the BoE would quickly assist.

My list of "worsts" is nothing but minor annoyances. I was lucky to have the placement I had, not to mention the schools I had.
    I wouldn't do the program again, though. It was a terribly boring job when I wasn't in the classroom.

If this is of any interest to anyone, please read it.
    Pay cuts for reemployed workers are illegal: district court

http://japan-press.co.jp/s/news/index_google.php?id=9574

There are still some good jobs out there, just keep trying!

Thank you aleebot. I will gambaru to my dying day.

Tell that f** that it doesn't matter where the words come from, and you're not teaching French, you're teaching English. If we decide to invert the sentence order to Object Verb Subject, we can do that.

Remind him that he and all dirty Japs are using Kanji wrong because they stole them from China.