Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seeing all 47 Prefectures

Default Seeing Japan: What to do in each prefecture?

I'm trying to visit every prefecture during my time here. So far I'm at 22 out of 47, but I have the next 1-2 years to see the rest. If anyone has suggestions on how to lump a few prefectures together for a more efficient trip or what to see while I'm there, I would really appreciate it. My last big trip was 4 days in Kansai. I used Osaka as a base and hit Shiga, Hyogo, and Wakayama (I already visited Nara and Kyoto on other trips.)

My remaining prefectures are:

• Yamaguchi
    • Shimane
    • Tottori
    • Okayama
    • Kagawa
    • Tokushima
    • Mie
    • Fukui
    • Gifu
    • Shizuoka
    • Nagano
    • Ishikawa
    • Toyama
    • Gunma
    • Tochigi
    • Saitama
    • Kanagawa
    • Ibaraki
    • Tochigi
    • Fukushima
    • Niigata
    • Yamagata
    • Miyagi
    • Akita
    • Iwate
    • Aomori

Default Re: Seeing Japan: What to do in each prefecture?

Come to Fukushima and see the luxurious temporary housing blocks that were only designed to last 2 years but still have thousands of people still living in them! If you are handy with a hammer and a blue sheet maybe you can stop them from leaking when it rains.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Most of those prefectures have nothing worth visiting.

Wow. You actually went to my prefecture.

I'm SO SORRY.

Saitama has the keyaki beer festival in spring and fall.
    It has nothing else to recommend it.

Gunma's onsens are supposedly nice.

Nikko in Tochigi ain't bad.

Ishikawa has an abandoned Buddhist theme park at Kaga. There's a giant gold statue there that's visible for miles around and very eerie up close.

Kanazawa city is nice too. Bit of a Kyoto feel with quite a leafy city centre.

Mie has Japan's tallest rollercoaster at Nagashima.

Fukui has scenic suicide cliffs at Tojinbo.

Takayama town in Gifu is a decent little tourist spot with loads of onsens around.

Kurobe gorge in Toyama looks quite impressive.

Those 5 could be done in one 3-day road trip.
    Last edited by mrcharisma; April 22nd, 2016 at 17:25.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I recommend driving Tohoku. Just as soon as you think somewhere is nice, move to the next city/prefecture before the reality sets in that you're in like the poorest part of the entire fucking country and noone with half a brain would live here. (Save Ini and myself for some strange reason....)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Drive that Iwate/Miyagi coast and see all the towns annihilated by the tsunami...

Matsushima is pretty nice for a rinky-dink tourist town - take the boat tour etc. Not much else to see in Miyagi outside Sendai.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Ishikawa has an abandoned Buddhist theme park at Kaga. There's a giant gold statue there that's visible for miles around and very eerie up close.

Kanazawa city is nice too. Bit of a Kyoto feel with quite a leafy city centre.

Mie has Japan's tallest rollercoaster at Nagashima.

Fukui has scenic suicide cliffs at Tojinbo.

Takayama town in Gifu is a decent little tourist spot with loads of onsens around.

Kurobe gorge in Toyama looks quite impressive.

Those 5 could be done in one 3-day road trip.
    Wonderful! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post

I'm SO SORRY.
    Which one was yours? One of them, Saga, I literally only stopped in for lunch and to get a keychain so I could prove I was there.

Also, for all the driving suggestions, unfortunately I can't drive in Japan. But maybe I can trick a friend that can drive into going with me.

Come to Kagawa for a long weekend. Rent a cheap bike. Eat the udon, there's other stuff but it won't fill you up for 300yen. Island hop, see some art or something and take in what is considered chill vibes for Japan. Go to the gaijin bar, if you're chill go to the whiskey bar. If you're creepy and have a car, go down south to the doll village and walk across some rope bridges or something. If you're still around maybe go look at the little castles or a sand sculpture or something? but if you've gotten this far down the list you should probably move on or join the dolls.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingTheSun View Post
    Which one was yours? One of them, Saga, I literally only stopped in for lunch and to get a keychain so I could prove I was there.
    Wow, you had so many prefectures to choose from and you had to pick that one to illustrate how little time you spent there.

Ouch.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Maybe check out Hakone in Kanagawa? Its a rather picturesque little town with some nice onsens (try Tenzan).

Do you have any special hobbies or Japan-related interests? Because that will make a lot of places more interesting for you. For example, I love tea ceremony and learning about pottery/mingei, so Saga is actually near the top of my list of places to go because of the Korean potters who were kidnapped and brought to Saga during the 16th century raids and had a huge impact on Japanese pottery thereafter. My friend who was a fire performer in Canada is also seeing places all around Japan because of the various fire festivals they host. If you've got a hobby of some kind, it can make seemingly mundane places a lot more interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Kunchi is worth the trek in November.

my plan: to look around and find things to do.
    Last edited by Frap; Today at 18:46. Reason: sucker

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

I'm SO SORRY.
    Haha, what she said.

Tohoku isn't the most exciting area, but there are some notable places to visit if you're headed up that way.

Miyagi:
    仙台市 [Sendai City] = go shopping downtown; visit castle ruins at night to see a nice view of the city; visit the giant white Bodhisattva Kannon statue, do Nikka Whisky factory tour; visit aquarium; famous foods = gyutan [cow tongue], zunda [sweet edamame paste], sasakamaboko [fish cakes shaped like bamboo leaves]
    松島 [Matsushima] = a famous view of pine-covered islands; short boat cruises; fireworks in summer; a few temples and fancy bridges; famous food = oysters
    鳴子温泉 [Naruko Onsen] = visit onsen; I like うなぎ湯の宿「琢琇」 [Unagiyu-no-yado TAKUHIDE] but their bathing hours are really short on weekends and holidays, so get there well before 2pm
    鳴子峡 [Naruko Gorge] = see the view; it's not particularly noteworthy except in autumn, but will be crowded in peak season; famous food = 栗だんご [kuri dango]
    塩釜市 [Shiogama City] = see the large old Shiogama Shrine; famous foods = seafood; Shiogama has a few famous sushi restaurants and a fish market where you can get a bowl of hot rice and make your own kaisen-don

Border of Miyagi & Yamagata:
    蔵王山 [Mt. Zao] = volcanic mountain with many onsen, an "Okama" Crater lake, ski resorts, a fox village, and "snow monsters" in winter

Yamagata:
    山寺 [Yamadera] = climb the steps to see the temple built into the mountainside; beautiful year round but recommended in autumn while the leaves have changed color
    霞城公園 [Kajo Park] = a large park very close to Yamagata Station with a moat and castle ruins; best visited during spring because there are over 1,000 sakura trees; famous food = どんどん焼き ["dondon-yaki", aka okonomiyaki on a stick] sold at a store near one of the park's gates
    銀山温泉 [Ginzan Onsen] = famous onsen spot with old-fashioned ryokan built along a river next to a big waterfall
    加茂水族館 [Kamo Aquarium] = an aquarium that holds world record number of jellyfish; probably not easily accessible without a car

Iwate:
    盛岡市 [Morioka City] = go shopping; see the castle ruins; famous foods = reimen [cold noodle soup], wanko soba [eating dozens of tiny bowls of soba], jajamen [noodles you mix yourself with various toppings]
    平泉 [Hiraizumi] = visit Chusonji Temple; visit Geibikei Gorge; see the combinis that are black & white; the area is a world heritage site
    大沢温泉 [Osawa Onsen] = another famous onsen spot also built on a river, but the 自炊部 [cook-for-yourself] plans are quite reasonable if you stay in the ryokan section that is over 100 years old instead of the fancy resort section

Aomori:
    青森市 [Aomori City] = most famous for the Nebuta Festival in August; visit the Sannai-Maruyama Ruins; famous food = apples
    弘前市 [Hirosaki City] = university town with a nice mountain view; famous for the castle park, especially in spring because of sakura; see the Neputa Festival in August
    八戸市 [Hachinohe City] = famous for seafood; visit 八食センター [Hasshoku Center] to buy fresh seafood and booze and cook your own food on a rental grill provided in the shop
    十二湖 [Juniko aka 12 Lakes] = pretty lakes and a world heritage site; one lake appears extremely blue; probably not easily accessible without a car
    不老ふ死温泉 [Furofushi Onsen] = an unusual onsen built into the beach on the coast of the Sea of Japan; amazing view but the water is rusty brown because of the high iron content; probably not easily accessible without a car

Border of Aomori & Akita:
    十和田湖 [Towada Lake] = a very large lake with scenic views and boating activities

Akita:
    角館 [Kakunodate] = old-fashioned samurai village; famous for sakura in spring
    Aside from the Kamakura Festival in winter, I'm not sure what else to recommend, but I guess Akita is famous for sake and beautiful women

There are a lot of other places I've visited around Tohoku that are worth a visit, but they probably wouldn't be accessible without a car and some things depend on the season.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingTheSun View Post
    Wonderful! Thank you.

Also, for all the driving suggestions, unfortunately I can't drive in Japan. But maybe I can trick a friend that can drive into going with me.
    If you can't drive, probably skip the abandoned theme park in Ishikawa and stick with Kanazawa. There's a modern art museum, castle, some nice gardens and one of Japan's more pleasant city centres to soak up.

The Fukui cliffs will be a no-go also, but there's a modern, huge dinosaur museum on the more beaten path if that's your thing.
    Last edited by mrcharisma; April 27th, 2016 at 02:45.

What did you do in Hokkaido?
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    It could happen. 1/100.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    The Fukui cliffs will be a no-go also, but there's a modern, huge dinosaur museum on the more beaten path if that's your thing.
    You can get a lot of information about dinosaurs and natural history there.

You can get a lot of information about dinosaurs and natural history there.

You can also eat delicious foods. For example, you can eat Echizen soba.