Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seeing all 47 Prefectures

Default Re: Seeing Japan: What to do in each prefecture?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Don't your Eikawa shifts usually start at 5? Night off?
    Don't work Eikawa, but nice try there brah
    /\\//\/\ /\\//\/\ /\\//\/\

Default Seeing all 47 Prefectures

Has anyone here done it during their time on JET? I'm trying to visit all 47 before next August. At the moment, I'm up to 22 which I've visited over the past three years. Does anyone have recommendations on how to group the prefectures together to see the most in a short amount of time? During a 4-day trip to Osaka, I was able to visit Hyogo, Shiga, and Wakayama. I'd like to do more trips like that, if I can plan them strategically enough. My remaining prefectures are:
    • Gunma
    • Ibaraki
    • Kanagawa
    • Saitama
    • Tochigi
    • All of Tohoku
    • Fukui
    • Gifu
    • Ishikawa
    • Nagano
    • Niigata
    • Shizuoka
    • Toyama
    • Mie
    • Okayama
    • Shimae
    • Tottori
    • Yamaguchi
    • Kanagawa
    • Tokushima

I can't drive in Japan and I live on Kyushu, which certainly makes things more expensive because I typically have to fly if I want to get off the island.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Default Re: Seeing all 47 Prefectures

Thats my plan, I've been here four months and have done 8 already (with 6 more planned this year). This forum probably isnt the best place to ask about it though, everyone else thinks its a really stupid goal to try to achieve,
    Of the ones that remain on your list I've seen Ibaraki and Kanagawa, so if you want any suggestions of nice things to do there, I can maybe offer some!

I also dont drive in Japan and live on an island that's expensive to leave Kyushu is gorgeous though, from what I've seen thus far it's my favourite region.
    Last edited by OatsCurrySummer; June 9th, 2016 at 13:33.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Leaving aside the obvious bait, why is this something you want to do? Why decide "I want to go to all the prefectures" and then try to figure out what you want to do in each one? Why don't you just make a list of places you want to visit and go to them regardless of which set of arbitrary lines they fit inside on a map?

Wait this isn't a bait post? I was suspicious at the 47 prefectures thing but the not driving part put it over the edge.

Leaving aside the obvious bait, why is this something you want to do? Why decide "I want to go to all the prefectures" and then try to figure out what you want to do in each one? Why don't you just make a list of places you want to visit and go to them regardless of which set of arbitrary lines they fit inside on a map?
    Of course it's totally arbitrary, but I think I would have visited most of the prefectures anyways because I want to do my Masters in the history of of pottery and tea ceremony in Japan, and most prefectures have at least one town or city that's famous for its impact on pottery making techniques. I'm interested in seeing how different types of pottery developed all across Japan depending on each region's proximity to China/Korea, their willingness to adopt foreign techniques, the type of clay available and the divergence of aesthetics since the death of Sen no Rikyu. So I sort of do have a starting point of interest for each prefecture, but wanting to see them all is just me being neurotic.
    Also, I love collecting those regional gotochi cards issues by JP, so it's given me an incentive to go to every prefecture.
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Can we unite this with the other thread he/she created specifically about this?

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingTheSun View Post
    I'm trying to visit every prefecture during my time here. So far I'm at 22 out of 47, but I have the next 1-2 years to see the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingTheSun View Post
    I'm trying to visit all 47 before next August.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by OatsCurrySummer View Post
    I also dont drive in Japan
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by OatsCurrySummer View Post
    I want to do my Masters in the history of of pottery and tea ceremony in Japan
    Why?

Oh wow. I thought I was feeling deja vu. Can we get some level headed mods in here?

I still wish you were one of them.

rent a car and drive 10-16hrs a day. probably be able to bang all of honshu out in a long weekend.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Why?
    Long answer: theres no need for a car on my island, seeing as I live next door to my school and can walk across the whole island in an hour. At most I would maybe like to have a car for the mainland of Okinawa that I use only on the weekends.
    Short answer:Working on it, will get my IDP soon.
    Why?
    Good question. To most its an unspeakably boring topic, but I'm fascinated by it. Can't wait to have the most useless degree in the world!

Sexy beaches be cray cray jiggington.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Why would you want to go fantastically in debt for a degree you don't need that has no worth just because you're interested in the subject? I mean, I can understand how people get worthless BAs, they're young and stupid. But really by the time they're getting an MA they should have learned a degree needs some kind of practical application. Or are you the Buster Bluth type?

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    probably be able to bang all of honshu in a long weekend.
    Done and done

So can I assume that you are capable of running a tea ceremony on your own?

Or is it more about the theory and history than practice?

merged.
    It could happen. 1/100.

My university had a few tea ceremony classes because some Japanese billionaire donated the money for a tea garden. Didn't take the classes but the tea garden was a great place to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    My university had a few tea ceremony classes because some Japanese billionaire donated the money for a tea garden. Didn't take the classes but the tea garden was a great place to drink.
    How dare you shame Yamato traditionz?!
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; June 9th, 2016 at 14:52.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.