The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Default Re: Seeing all 47 Prefectures

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    How dare you shame Yamato traditionz?!

?

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Why would you want to go fantastically in debt for a degree you don't need that has no worth just because you're interested in the subject? I mean, I can understand how people get worthless BAs, they're young and stupid. But really by the time they're getting an MA they should have learned a degree needs some kind of practical application. Or are you the Buster Bluth type?
    Was hoping to get my PhD, write history books, go back to school for another MA in Museum Studies and work on documentaries and museum exhibits. If my Japanese ever gets good enough, I would love to translate exhibits for english audiences and write guides. English translations of many tea-related treatises are somewhat lacking because the three main tea-schools ensure that publications that dont conform to their doctrines hardly ever reach the english market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    So can I assume that you are capable of running a tea ceremony on your own?

Or is it more about the theory and history than practice?
    I did take a nine week sado-course back in Toronto (complete with nine strict obaachan teachers who loved to slap my hand when I didnt position my wrist at the right angle), so I can probably participate in a very low level ceremony without too much embarrassment, but its the history that I'm more fascinated by. Having a place where the rules of politics, time and society don't apply (no political leader or warlord has ever been assassinated in a tea room) is something I find really cool. In a tea room, youre not aloud to talk about time or any places/objects that exist outside of the room. You are supposed to be completely aware of the present moment and the objects that surround you. Even the cups, spoons, plates and kakejiku used are planned out months in advance by the host of the party depending on the season of the ceremony, who is coming, how close you are to the people you're having tea with, etc. You can easily insult a person if say, you used a hanging scroll with an iris painted on it (a symbol of good news) when one of your guests recently lost someone close to them. It's a game of reading the objects around you to figure out what your host thinks of you, and how close they consider you to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Jeez tdlr

Sounds like someone's had a bit too much of the nihonjinron.
    Definitely. But as long as I keep spouting these inane facts, I think kyoto-sensei will want to keep me around. He gets a kick out of telling the students to ask me about tea.
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Wow. Did not expect these responses.

1. Genuinely forgot I had already posted about this. I'm just starting to think about how I'm going to allocate my nenkyuu for the next year, which is what got me thinking about this again.
    2. Seriously not a bait post. The reason I have this goal is because I am not good about solo traveling or making myself be adventurous. If I set the goal of "I want to see all the prefectures" it is easier for me to encourage myself to actually leave my prefecture. Without this kind of goal I'd probably just stay in my prefecture indefinitely. Or I would only go to Osaka and miss out on the rest of the country.

If I had my JET Survivor game show, OwlScurvySauna would have just been told to pack her bags.

If I had my JET Survivor game show, OwlScurvySauna would have just been told to pack her bags.
    ok but first, what material should my luggage be?

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingTheSun View Post
    Or I would only go to Osaka and miss out on the rest of the country.
    Miss out on seems like a strong choice of words.

Quote Originally Posted by OatsCurrySummer View Post
    ok but first, what material should my luggage be?
    That would have kept you from even making it to the airport.

Miss out on seems like a strong choice of words.
    Yup

I'm not even trying to be anti-japan here. It's just true that at a certain point you're just repeating yourself with visiting different prefectures. Visit different regions and then return to the interesting ones. Make friends and go visit them. Travel to other Asian countries. Different prefectures is just so arbitrary and pointless.

I did take a nine week sado-course back in Toronto (complete with nine strict obaachan teachers who loved to slap my hand when I didnt position my wrist at the right angle), so I can probably participate in a very low level ceremony without too much embarrassment, but its the history that I'm more fascinated by.
    So you wouldn't be able to host one? That's too bad. Still, I imagine that must have been an unique experience for you.

Having a place where the rules of politics, time and society don't apply (no political leader or warlord has ever been assassinated in a tea room) is something I find really cool.
    There hasn't been any record of "normal" folks being attacked?

Though the idea of respecting an area to such a degree is quite fascinating.

In a tea room, youre not allowed to talk about time or any places/objects that exist outside of the room. You are supposed to be completely aware of the present moment and the objects that surround you.
    Would the entities present also count as part of the scenery?

(Like say if someone came in with a specific type of clothing, would it alter the whole dynamic?)

Or is it more about the actions made by those involved as well as the items?

Even the cups, spoons, plates and kakejiku used are planned out months in advance by the host of the party depending on the season of the ceremony, who is coming, how close you are to the people you're having tea with, etc. You can easily insult a person if say, you used a hanging scroll with an iris painted on it (a symbol of good news) when one of your guests recently lost someone close to them. It's a game of reading the objects around you to figure out what your host thinks of you, and how close they consider you to be.
    So I'm guessing it would be taboo as @58( to invite someone at the last minute or bring an uninvited guest?

(Sorry if I'm being too nosy, I like it when someone is passionate about a subject.)

Heh I see zolrak has found a new muse.

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    Heh I see zolrak has found a new muse.
    If it makes you feel any better, you can be my muse the moment you are passionate about something besides memes.

i hope that day never comes

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post

Would the entities present also count as part of the scenery?

(Like say if someone came in with a specific type of clothing, would it alter the whole dynamic?)

Or is it more about the actions made by those involved as well as the items?

So I'm guessing it would be taboo as @58( to invite someone at the last minute or bring an uninvited guest?

(Sorry if I'm being too nosy, I like it when someone is passionate about a subject.)
    Yes, you can discuss what the people in the room are wearing (though the guests should also take the season and reason for the ceremony into consideration when getting dressed). Most of what get discussed are objects in the room and their history (ex. if they belonged to someone notable, the region they were produced them, the artist/potter who made them), and the taste of the sweets/tea. I believe in the earliest days of tea ceremony, there were gambling contests where guests would drink dozens of cups of tea and guess which region each one came from, but this became an unsavory practice after the 15th century.
    And definitely taboo to bring extra people, these events are usually invitation only and meticulously planned.

And do they never despair at the futility of it all?
    It wouldn't be a proper tea ceremony without a healthy dollop of despair. And if your knees dont give out after six hours of sitting seiza, then you did it wrong.