Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a new apartment in Nagahama

Default Setting up a new apartment in Nagahama

So I heard from my "predecessor", who isn't really my pred since I'm not taking over his schools or apartment, that I will not be inheriting an old apartment but instead will be getting a new one. This is all he knows about the apartment situation. I have emailed my BOE about it but haven't heard back yet so I have some questions I'm dying to have answered.

First off, will the BOE find the apartment for me, or am I going to have to do the search myself? What are the chance of them paying the key money (and/or deposit) for me? If I have to pay it, about how much should I expect it to be? Will my BOE provide me with anything once I have the apartment, i.e bed, ricecooker? Or Am I going to have to get all these things myself? (I seriously hope not)

My "pred" said to bring $2000, but is this a viable amount to cover all my startup costs in the case I do have to pay key money? I'm not sure if my "pred" inherited his apartment or if he set up a new one himself, so I don't know how accurate this estimate is.

Also, does anyone else have any advice on this whole process of setting up a new apartment?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by JPNLKatie; June 18th, 2016 at 00:39.

Default Re: Setting up a new apartment in Nagahama

Quote Originally Posted by JPNLKatie View Post
    So I heard from my "predecessor", who isn't really my pred since I'm not taking over his schools or apartment, that I will not be inheriting an old apartment but instead will be getting a new one. This is all he knows about the apartment situation. I have emailed my BOE about it but haven't heard back yet so I have some questions I'm dying to have answered.

First off, will the BOE find the apartment for me, or am I going to have to do the search myself? What are the chance of them paying the key money (and/or deposit) for me? If I have to pay it, about how much should I expect it to be? Will my BOE provide me with anything once I have the apartment, i.e bed, ricecooker? Or Am I going to have to get all these things myself? (I seriously hope not)

My "pred" said to bring $2000, but is this a viable amount to cover all my startup costs in the case I do have to pay key money? I'm not sure if my "pred" inherited his apartment or if he set up a new one himself, so I don't know how accurate this estimate is.

Also, does anyone else have any advice on this whole process of setting up a new apartment?

Thanks in advance!
    I had a friend who actually also got a new apartment in Nagahama - this was in 2010. In her case, the BOE found the apartment for her (it was actually a very nice townhouse). She did not have to pay key money or a deposit (on the other hand, a prefectural Shiga JET did have to pay key money for his apartment, which was passed down to him). Back in the day, the BoE provided a few essentials - a futon, kitchen table and chair, refrigerator and microwave, and a TV - and maybe a couple other things. Most of her things in the beginning came from other JETs who were leaving or downsizing - I know she got a ton of kitchen supplies from other JETs, and an extra futon from me. She did have to get other things for the apartment - shelves, couch, coffee table, etc.

She had higher rent than most, since it was a new townhouse, but still received the 30,000 yen monthly housing stipend that other Nagahama city JETs received.

My biggest advice would be to get in touch with current Nagahama JETs (on Facebook or however they're doing the groups these days) and let them know you're moving into a new apartment and would be interested in anything they're giving away/selling in August.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    I had a friend who actually also got a new apartment in Nagahama - this was in 2010. In her case, the BOE found the apartment for her (it was actually a very nice townhouse). She did not have to pay key money or a deposit (on the other hand, a prefectural Shiga JET did have to pay key money for his apartment, which was passed down to him). Back in the day, the BoE provided a few essentials - a futon, kitchen table and chair, refrigerator and microwave, and a TV - and maybe a couple other things. Most of her things in the beginning came from other JETs who were leaving or downsizing - I know she got a ton of kitchen supplies from other JETs, and an extra futon from me. She did have to get other things for the apartment - shelves, couch, coffee table, etc.

She had higher rent than most, since it was a new townhouse, but still received the 30,000 yen monthly housing stipend that other Nagahama city JETs received.

My biggest advice would be to get in touch with current Nagahama JETs (on Facebook or however they're doing the groups these days) and let them know you're moving into a new apartment and would be interested in anything they're giving away/selling in August.
    That is quite a relief to know. I got the email back from my supervisor and she said "don't worry about the apartment", and that they will "prepare a new apartment" for me. I'm hoping this means I that they will take care of the key money and deposit. All I have to worry about is furnishing the apartment. Apparently, there is options for me to rent a fridge, microwave, air conditioner, washing machine, and dryer. I wonder how much it costs to rent those?

I will have to buy everything else, i.e. futon, rice cooker. I'm going to try and get in contact with Nagahama JETs if I can, to see what I can get. I can't seem to find a facebook page specifically for Nagahama JETs. I guess I'll ask my "pred" if he knows how to get in contact with everyone, or if he has anything to sell. But my guess is he is already going to sell his stuff to his actual successor.

whoops, accidentally posted twice
    Last edited by JPNLKatie; June 18th, 2016 at 16:21.

Moved into a new apartment whilst on JET, had to pay both the bond and key money. You might want to triple check that one.
    /\\//\/\ /\\//\/\ /\\//\/\

I asked them, "Do I need to pay key money", and their response was "don't worry about the apartment". So that what I assumed it meant. I'm sure they'll let me know for sure before I leave for Japan. If not, I'll be sure to ask again in a couple weeks.

By the way, how much was the bond and key money?
    Last edited by JPNLKatie; June 20th, 2016 at 12:05.

I asked them, "Do I need to pay key money", and their response was "don't worry about the apartment". So that what I assumed it meant. I'm sure they'll let me know for sure before I leave for Japan. If not, I'll be sure to ask again in a couple weeks.

By the way, how much was the bond and key money?
    One month rent each, from what I've seen. Sometimes two for key money in a desirable place.

"Don't worry," can mean a lot of things here, and they might just mean you can pay it after your first month of pay. Or it might be paid in full.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I asked them, "Do I need to pay key money", and their response was "don't worry about the apartment"
    Yeah, but this is Japan we're talking about here.
    Either way I'm crossing my fingers for you cuz mine was 2 months bond + 1 month "present" to the landlord

Quote Originally Posted by GodInStrafeMode View Post
    Yeah, but this is Japan we're talking about here.
    Either way I'm crossing my fingers for you cuz mine was 2 months bond + 1 month "present" to the landlord
    Well, since you had the experience of having to pay key money and the bond, can you give me an idea of how much money I should take with me to Japan to cover first month expenses? At the moment, I'm planning to take approximately $2500 (about 25 man) with me. Is that amount okay, or do you think I will need more? I plan to be frugal my first month, so I'm not going to buy any furniture (other than the futon), until after my first paycheck. As I said above, the fridge, microwave, and other necessities will be rentals, so I don't expect to be paying too much upfront for those. I'm also guessing the rental costs will just be deducted from my paycheck anyway, but I don't know for sure.
    Last edited by JPNLKatie; June 20th, 2016 at 16:55.

Well, since you had the experience of having to pay key money and the bond, can you give me an idea of how much money I should take with me to Japan to cover first month expenses? At the moment, I'm planning to take approximately $2500 (about 25 man) with me. Is that amount okay, or do you think I will need more? I plan to be frugal my first month, so I'm not going to buy any furniture (other than the futon), until after my first paycheck. As I said above, the fridge, microwave, and other necessities will be rentals, so I don't expect to be paying too much upfront for those. I'm also guessing the rental costs will just be deducted from my paycheck anyway, but I don't know for sure.
    $2500 can be enough as long as you aren't hit with huge fees up front. Assuming no key/bond money, you may still have to put down a security deposit, so expect 2 months rent (hopefully 2 months = $800 or less).

As for bedding, if not included by the BOE, I recommend the following:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%80%90%E...words=mattress ($60)

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%B8%83%E...AF%9B%E5%B8%83 ($45 for blankets and pillow set)

Get basic kitchen essentials at Daiso or a local dept. store ($20~$30), etc.

You may not get your first paycheck until the second pay period so expect to pay another months rent before your first check.

Totals: Rent (2 months + 1 month security) = $1300; Bedding and kitchen stuffs ($200); Food for 2 months = $750; Transportation expenses from Nagoya aiport + daily = $200. Grand total ~ $2,250. If your lucky, no security deposit and you'll have a full month's rent to play around with.

Quote Originally Posted by Torinn88 View Post
    $2500 can be enough as long as you aren't hit with huge fees up front. Assuming no key/bond money, you may still have to put down a security deposit, so expect 2 months rent (hopefully 2 months = $800 or less).

As for bedding, if not included by the BOE, I recommend the following:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%80%90%E...words=mattress ($60)

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%B8%83%E...AF%9B%E5%B8%83 ($45 for blankets and pillow set)

Get basic kitchen essentials at Daiso or a local dept. store ($20~$30), etc.

You may not get your first paycheck until the second pay period so expect to pay another months rent before your first check.

Totals: Rent (2 months + 1 month security) = $1300; Bedding and kitchen stuffs ($200); Food for 2 months = $750; Transportation expenses from Nagoya aiport + daily = $200. Grand total ~ $2,250. If your lucky, no security deposit and you'll have a full month's rent to play around with.
    Oh! Thank you so much. Also those bedding recs are wonderful. Is there a way for me to have that bedding ready for me when I arrive? Obviously I can't have it sent to myself since 1) I won't be there and 2) I don't have an address yet. How do other JETS (who are setting up new apartments) have their bedding ready for them when they arrive? I suppose they have it shipped to their supervisor? I also suppose I need them to order it for me since I can't make a Amazon.jp account without a Japanese address. Also, it's in Japanese, so that might make it difficult too.

I'm really glad I can have something more comfortable than a futon without spending several hundred dollars. I had originally planned to buy a used futon set from someone and use that until I found something else more comfortable.

As for the budget you provided, it makes me think that $2500 might not be enough. I still have to factor the cost of buying a new phone and contract, and the rental costs of appliances which will probably set me back another several hundred.

Edit*

Oh! And the cost of setting up wifi. Wifi is very important. Can't forget about that.

Btw, why is there a cost for travel expenses from Nagoya airport? I was under the impression that all travel expenses from Tokyo Orientation to Nagahama would be covered.
    Last edited by JPNLKatie; June 20th, 2016 at 18:43.

Nvm
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; June 20th, 2016 at 19:01.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Good news! My supervisor just informed me that I do NOT have to pay key money, and all that I will be required to pay is two month's rent for August and September. Since the apartment hasn't been set up yet, they don't know the exact cost, but they will let me know soon.

Phew. That is such a relief.

Oh! Thank you so much. Also those bedding recs are wonderful. Is there a way for me to have that bedding ready for me when I arrive? Obviously I can't have it sent to myself since 1) I won't be there and 2) I don't have an address yet. How do other JETS (who are setting up new apartments) have their bedding ready for them when they arrive? I suppose they have it shipped to their supervisor? I also suppose I need them to order it for me since I can't make a Amazon.jp account without a Japanese address. Also, it's in Japanese, so that might make it difficult too.
    If you know the day you'll be arriving, schedule the delivery for that night. And with amazon, if necessary, you/your parents can use a US/UK credit card on the japanese site. Fortunately, Amazon Japan does have some English features, but I'm not sure where the button is on the page.

As for the budget you provided, it makes me think that $2500 might not be enough. I still have to factor the cost of buying a new phone and contract, and the rental costs of appliances which will probably set me back another several hundred.
    You can always start off with a cheap pre-paid softbank/yahoo mobile. When you go to Tokyo for orientation, go to any store and you can buy some really cheap ones. Use that the first month while you shop around for the best options and best service in your area.

Edit*

Btw, why is there a cost for travel expenses from Nagoya airport? I was under the impression that all travel expenses from Tokyo Orientation to Nagahama would be covered.
    That was just something that slipped my mind while making rough estimations. Pinch of salt with everything I say.

You say to schedule the delivery for the night I arrive, so I suppose that means Amazon Japan gives you options for exact delivery times? I know for Amazon in the US, you have no idea when the product you ordered will come.

You say to schedule the delivery for the night I arrive, so I suppose that means Amazon Japan gives you options for exact delivery times? I know for Amazon in the US, you have no idea when the product you ordered will come.
    Yeah, one of the best things about delivery services in Japan is you can set dates, and often time frames between 8am ~ 9pm. In some situations you can even have stuff delivered to convenience stores like 7/11 or Lawson.

Good news! My supervisor just informed me that I do NOT have to pay key money.
    Great I'm stoked for you. As for the bedding etc. are they not providing it for you? I thought COs had to provide you with at least the bare minimum (fridge, bed, washing machine etc.) when you arrived no? Maybe times, and budgets, have changed...

Quote Originally Posted by GodInStrafeMode View Post
    Great I'm stoked for you. As for the bedding etc. are they not providing it for you? I thought COs had to provide you with at least the bare minimum (fridge, bed, washing machine etc.) when you arrived no? Maybe times, and budgets, have changed...
    My supervisor told me that there will be options for me to rent a fridge, microwave, washing machine, dryer, and air conditioner. I'm not sure if I'm renting it from them or a service in the area.

They told me I have to purchase my futon and rice cooker myself. So I'm pretty much paying for all of my furniture. But I'm glad I at least have the option to rent the bigger ticket items. I especially didn't want to have to buy a new aircon. If I had to, I'd probably just do without and die of heatstroke in my apartment. ha.

I've asked my "pred" if he has anything for sale, but I haven't heard back from him in a few days. I'm hoping he replies soon. I would much rather buy a new bed set, but I really need to make sure I have some bedding when I arrive. I don't think sleeping on the hard floor without any blankets will be much fun. I also don't want to be forced to go out and buy an overpriced futon set at a local store. Speaking of which, would I be able to carry the futon home myself, or would I need to get the store to deliver it for me?

Speaking of which, would I be able to carry the futon home myself, or would I need to get the store to deliver it for me?
    If you can drive, most larger home stores have a truck you can borrow for up to an hour (for free!). They have delivery as well but that costs extra.

Well then I guess I definitely have to make sure I get my IDP then.