Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Female ALTs wearing pants?

Default Female ALTs wearing pants?

Somewhere I read that some schools will not allow their female employees to wear pants. I was horrified by this since I don't wear anything BUT pants. I don't even wear shorts (except at home). I haven't worn a skirt or dress since maybe 3rd grade. My casual wear is generally a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. To be quite frank, I know nothing about fashion. My plan for my work clothes is to wear a pair of khakis or slacks with a polo or button up shirt. Most of the time anyway. I do plan to get some nice, girly shirts to spice it up every now and then. But the point is, I only plan to bring and wear pants. Is this going to be an issue? Can my supervisor/principal really force me to only wear skirts/dresses? I mean, even if I arrived in Japan and they suddenly told me pants weren't allowed, I can't really go out and buy a skirt because I probably couldn't find it in my size. I'm currently a size 10, btw. But to be honest, even if I COULD find some, I'd probably still refuse to wear it.

On a separate note, I also read somewhere that you should bring gym clothes, like a track suit, and that most ALTs (at ES and JHS at least), can wear these as their work clothes. Does this apply to both female and male ALTs

Note: I don't have a predecessor
    Last edited by JPNLKatie; June 22nd, 2016 at 14:49.

Default Re: Female ALTs wearing pants?

Never heard of this ever, all the women I work with wear pants.

Yes, you can wear track suits to elementary school if you want.

I've never ever seen or heard of a school that will not allow female ALTs to wear pants. I, myself, am not taking any skirts. Just make sure you have at least a couple suits with nice pants and then some nice clothes in general. Obviously ESID but I can't ever imagine you not being able to wear pants.

As for the track suit thing, my ex-ALT friends mentioned it's usually males only. Of course, ESID once again but I don't want you to get your hopes up. EDIT: OHHH isola has different experiences from my friends! So, there is hope LOL!

The best information you can get for this kind of stuff is from your pred.

PS) you're going to be able to find tons of stuff in size 10 lol
    Last edited by tobio; June 22nd, 2016 at 14:33.

As long as they're nice pants, shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tobio View Post
    I've never ever seen or heard of a school that will not allow female ALTs to wear pants. I, myself, am not taking any skirts. Just make sure you have at least a couple suits with nice pants and then some nice clothes in general. Obviously ESID but I can't ever imagine you not being able to wear pants.

As for the track suit thing, my ex-ALT friends mentioned it's usually males only. Of course, ESID once again but I don't want you to get your hopes up. EDIT: OHHH isola has different experiences from my friends! So, there is hope LOL!

The best information you can get for this kind of stuff is from your pred.

PS) you're going to be able to find tons of stuff in size 10 lol

If I can find stuff in size 10 (US), then I guess I'm good. Unless my height will be an issue? I'm 5'8" and I know Japanese women are really short. I know it wouldn't matter much for skirts, but would finding pants that don't come up too short be difficult? I don't really have a pred to ask these questions to unfortunately. So asking here is my best bet.

Also, as for pants for females, is tight fitting pants, ok? I have a pair of kinda tight fitting khakis that I want to wear at work. Kinda like THIS

Or are only baggy pants like THIS allowed?

Also, I don't really care about the tracksuit (I'd rather not waste money on buying one). I just was worried that I would be required to bring gym clothes or something. I plan to bring a pair of workout pants only because I plan to wear them on the plane. They look like THIS. Would this and a plain t-shirt suffice in the chance I needed to have a set of gym clothes for school?
    Last edited by JPNLKatie; June 22nd, 2016 at 15:01.

It's possible you heard that from someone who was a High School ALT? I know that clothing tends to be a little more regulated at that level, but as usual, it depends on the school.

Aside from the office secretary, almost all of my teachers wear pants, capris, or a shirtdress with pants underneath. I teach at a JHS and two Elementary schools.
    If you're a size 10, you'll find stuff. Your height might be an issue, but it also might not.
    Tight pants are fine. I wear jeggings on a daily basis and no one cares (all my other teachers wear tight pants too, lol).

As long as your boobs aren't hanging out when you bend over and your shoulders are covered, stop worrying about stuff.
    Last edited by ambrosse; June 22nd, 2016 at 16:16.

You'll want a tracksuit for sportsday and probably the big cleaning days so it's always a good idea to have one but unless you are the size of a small walrus you'll be able to pick something up here.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    You'll want a tracksuit for sportsday and probably the big cleaning days so it's always a good idea to have one but unless you are the size of a small walrus you'll be able to pick something up here.
    Well, as long as I can find something in Japan that would fit a size 10, 5'8" woman, then I'll gladly wait to buy one in Japan. I just needed to know if I needed to buy it before leaving in the case I couldn't find something in my size in Japan. I know for a fact finding shoes for my monstrous size 10 (women) feet would be darn near impossible, so I'm stocking up on those before I go. Is an indoor gym shoe necessary? Or can I use my sneakers that I usually wear outdoors?
    Last edited by JPNLKatie; June 22nd, 2016 at 17:18.

wearing outdoor shoes inside is the Japanese equivalent of punching someones sainted mother. You will need outdoor shoes to come to school and indoor shoes for when you get there. If you want to go crazy you could have outdoor "sneakers", indoor "sneakers", outdoor dress shoes, indoor dress shoes and then if you go to multiple schools and dont want to carry shoes around with you every day you could have a set of indoor "sneakers" and indoor "dress shoes" at each of your schools. If you go to 15 schools thats a lot of shoes.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    wearing outdoor shoes inside is the Japanese equivalent of punching someones sainted mother. You will need outdoor shoes to come to school and indoor shoes for when you get there. If you want to go crazy you could have outdoor "sneakers", indoor "sneakers", outdoor dress shoes, indoor dress shoes and then if you go to multiple schools and dont want to carry shoes around with you every day you could have a set of indoor "sneakers" and indoor "dress shoes" at each of your schools. If you go to 15 schools thats a lot of shoes.
    I am aware I can't wear my outdoor shoes inside. What I was referring to is if there is really a need for me to have a pair of indoor gym shoes? In otherwords, am I really expected to participate in indoor athletic activity which will require me to have a pair of indoor gym shoes? Or can I get by with just a pair outdoor sneaker for the occasions we have outdoor athletic activity? My current "indoor shoe" is technically an athletic shoe (at least is says it is on the tag) even though it isn't a sneaker, but I suppose I can just use them if I need to. THIS is the shoe I bought for my everyday "indoor shoe".

Really what I'm saying is, how likely is it that ALTs will participate in indoor athletic activity?
    Last edited by JPNLKatie; June 22nd, 2016 at 17:47.

If you don't have gym shoes, most schools I've been in won't let you walk into the gym unless you're barefoot. Most whole school meetings happen there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    If you don't have gym shoes, most schools I've been in won't let you walk into the gym unless you're barefoot. Most whole school meetings happen there.
    So the whole "indoor gym shoe" thing is more about going there for meetings rather than actual physical activity? It makes no sense why I can't just wear my normal (athletic) indoor shoes for that.
    Last edited by JPNLKatie; June 22nd, 2016 at 17:53.

Just gaijin smash lololoeleloe.

What is this "gaijin smash" thing I keep seeing everywhere? I'm still not sure what it means. I know gaijin = derogatory term for "foreigner", but....
    Last edited by JPNLKatie; June 22nd, 2016 at 17:56.

Quote Originally Posted by JPNLKatie View Post
    So the whole "indoor gym shoe" thing is more about going there for meetings rather than actual physical activity? It makes no sense why I can't just wear my normal (athletic) indoor shoes for that.
    The issue is in marking the floor. I can pretty much guarantee what you linked will leave black streaks on the gym floor.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

If you are a big fat bloater nobody is going to be chasing you around the gym with a cattle prod forcing you bang out multiple push ups but occasionally some people do "engage in indoor athletic activity". It's up to you. Do you want to run around in the gym, bring some appropriate shoes and a tracksuit. If you prefer to hang out in the staffroom then bring a good book and a towel to mop your sweaty brow.

I'm concerned JPNL Katie is over-thinking things a little.

Just gaijin smash lololoeleloe.
    I ask if I can wear my school shoes (they're tennis shoes) in the gym and literally everyone has said its okay.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    I'm concerned JPNL Katie is over-thinking things a little.
    Well, I had to make sure if I needed these shoes or not because I'm not going to be able to buy a pair of size 10 shoes in Japan. So if I need them, I have to buy them now. The other questions I asked was asked more out of curiosity.

Why have you convinced yourself you won't be able to find shoes in a US sized 10? Go look on Amazon.co.jp and you find hundreds of sports shoes in that size.