Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Female ALTs wearing pants?

Default Re: Female ALTs wearing pants?

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    I ask if I can wear my school shoes (they're tennis shoes) in the gym and literally everyone has said its okay.
    If they're white-soled, sneaker types or tennis shoes, everything is okay. If they are red or black-soled, they are forbidden on the gym floor, at least in the schools I know of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Really hitting the worry-wart portion of the application cycle.

Skirts are not a necessity at any of the schools I've been to. Teachers wear a variety of clothes - but for classes at JHS level, you should be wearing the equivalent of "half-a-suit." For men, that's usually a dress shirt with slacks and a tie (until cool-biz kicks in and then you can forget the tie and go short-sleeves.) Obviously it's easier in winter, as you'll be wearing more for warmth. Track suits are for the teachers that are done with classes for the day or are participating in club activities and/or PE. If you're not staying for those, you don't need to worry about a track suit. You'll need "active wear" for maybe one day a year (school sports day) where you'll be sitting outside under a tent for 4-5 hours making fun of the kids with other teachers. For elementary school, you can get away with much more casual clothes, but usually something along the lines of a polo with khakis or slacks is what's generally recommended.

As far as shoes go, you might want one pair of "formal" shoes for school graduations/entrance ceremony (along with that suit you'll only wear 3-4 times a year.) etc. You might want another pair for outdoor use for going to the various meetings you're supposed to wear "business-wear" to. Otherwise comfortable shoes are the order of the day. Nobody will give a shit about what shoes you wear indoors as long as you don't wear them outside. The indoor shoe rack at my school has a plethora of shoes - from tennis and running shoes, to nice flats and a pair of well worn oxfords, to vans and a pair of chuck taylors... and a pair of crocks. All indoor shoes, and they're all OK - and all worn with business attire in the school. Yes, as in the head teacher stands up at a meeting in a three piece suit with bright orange and purple running shoes on.

i wear these everywhere and they're fine

Black Canvas Men's Classics | TOMS
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    It could happen. 1/100.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Why have you convinced yourself you won't be able to find shoes in a US sized 10?
    Oh I think it is because nearly every "What to pack for the JET Program" list that I have come across have stated that finding shoes for woman above a US size 8 (26 cm) is nearly impossible, or at least very difficult. I have also seen many posts on ITIL by past female JETs with my shoe size commenting how they could never find shoes in their size, and when they did, it wasn't what they were looking for or it was waaay overpriced.

So, can you blame me for thinking so?

Go look on Amazon.co.jp and you find hundreds of sports shoes in that size.
    Hmm, I tried looking and I can't find any. My size is 28cm, and the highest I've seen is 25.5. Maybe if I look some more, I might find it, but I don't think it is worth it. Have you seen the prices?

I have now pretty much decided I'm going to bring a cheap $15-$20 indoor sneaker with me so I don't have to deal with all the headache of trying to find a shoe in my size and that isn't overpriced once I'm in Japan.
    Last edited by JPNLKatie; June 23rd, 2016 at 13:47.

A women's us size 10 is about 26cm/26.5 according to my google-fu. A men's us 10 is about 28cm
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I wear pants every day of my life. Track suits are also popular at my schools, mostly with the men though. The ladies are also pretty casual though, usually khakis and a blouse or t-shirt.

My indoor shoes are $10 black flats. One teacher's indoor shoes are literally old sandals that are falling apart. I don't have indoor sneakers and wear my flats in the gym. I'm not expected to join in any physical activities though, except for special 'sports day' where the entire school gathers after a lunch for a game of dodge ball or tag.

...I'm also a horrible person and sometimes where my indoor shoes outside. Not while I'm at school, but on my days off and I leave my town. TBH, no one is going to notice or care and I clean them off before coming back to school so no one has had a reason to notice or care...

I just keep a pair of Jordan's by the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    I just keep a pair of Jordan's by the gym.
    How many pumps does it take before they let you out on the floor?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Just a few

A women's us size 10 is about 26cm/26.5 according to my google-fu. A men's us 10 is about 28cm
    Oh, you are absolutely correct. I just did a quick google search before making that last post and accidentally looked at the men sizes. However, the problems still exists as it seems finding anything above 25.5cm for women shoes is difficult.

I just ended up buying a pair of slip on athletic bungee shoes from walmart for $16. They are pretty darned comfortable for a cheap shoe. I figure I can use these as a backup indoor shoe if something happens to my black flats. I also made sure the shoes were white-soled so that I can wear them in the gym.
    Last edited by JPNLKatie; June 23rd, 2016 at 14:02.

If you want to fit in wear crocs with socks.

I work at a very conservative international school and pants are OK here so you should be fine. However, be cautious about gym pants that are fitted. Japanese women don't usually wear tight workout gear. The usual thing for the female teachers in my school (and from my time as an ALT) is really loose shirts and track pants.

I would also bring a bathing suit from home as they are expensive here.

As as for shoes, you will want several pairs of indoor and outdoor shoes. I have one pair of outdoor shoes for both entrances to the school. Slip on ones will save your sanity. White soles are best, but I wear ones with black and no one has ever commented. Runners are fine, most if the teachers here wear them as their inside shoes. Just make sure they are closed toe.

In in your sizes, you will be fine for clothes. And if nothing else Amazon.jp is awesome for shoes. Good luck!

I'm around a size 10 in clothes too but I fit fine into Japanese sized clothing. I don't know if you're height would be a factor, haven't been to Japan. Most of my Japanese girl friends are the same height as me (166 cm) or shorter, but I know quite a few really tall girls. I've asked about shoe size to them before because I'm a size 10 as well in shoes, but they said it should be fine or I could just wear men's sizes.

(Wrong thread)
    Last edited by TachikawaTruffle; June 28th, 2016 at 11:42. Reason: Wrong thread.

I wore jeans sometimes to school (so did my pred) and no one came after us.

If you want my opinion, if yer a lady, stock up on deodorant and bras.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

remind me, is this the school where nobody respected you and everyone treated you like shit?

dont wear jeans
    dont listen to lianwen
    dont
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Well, it was in my last month before I toodled off to a different part of Japan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

This guy knows what's up!
    (although I would never be caught dead in crocs)
    /\\//\/\ /\\//\/\ /\\//\/\

This. I have 3 pairs. No shame.