Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Economics

Default Economics

So,

If I am REALLY trying to save up and think I am going to just barely scrape by on my first month's rent & deposit in Japan, should I convert most of my savings to yen before it gets any stronger? Stupid Brexit...

By the way, I know absolutely nothing about how money works.
    Last edited by Frap; Today at 18:46. Reason: sucker

Default Re: Economics

If anybody tells you that they know what to do, they are a liar.

Don't try to mess with playing with currency. Just get it at the most convenient time for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Might be worth waiting a bit as the BoE is looking to prop up the pound and the BoJ is looking to intervene to weaken the yen.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

nobody's told me what to do, yet I'm just a bit skittish at this time. My closest brush with the stock market having come from the movie "Trading Places".

Anyway, I've decided I won't do anything rash. There's still a month left to go.
    Last edited by fryfry; June 26th, 2016 at 12:48.

Back in 11' we got ¥115 to the pound for our savings. You young 'uns don't know you're born.

whaaaat! I thought you guys were really smart, and that's why I come here.

People who understand the value of money don't go on JET.

How much are you planning to bring to Japan? When I realized the yen was getting stronger, I went ahead an ordered about 15 man in japanese yen. For me, that cost about $1500 USD. I think I can get by with that amount but I'll probably order another 5 man or so just in case. I'm just waiting to hear back from my supervisor about my first months costs before I decide on an amount. I've been told I'll have to pay for rent for both August and September when I arrive, but I still haven't been told how much that will be yet.

By the way, I'm an Economics major and even I don't understand money all that well.
    Last edited by JPNLKatie; June 29th, 2016 at 02:24.

You will need a lot more than 15man if you are paying 2 months rent. That could be as high as 12man right there.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

my rent is 43k. deposit plus shikikin appears to be 101k altogether. place looks nice.
    Last edited by fryfry; June 29th, 2016 at 09:17.

Quote Originally Posted by JPNLKatie View Post
    How much are you planning to bring to Japan? When I realized the yen was getting stronger, I went ahead an ordered about 15 man in japanese yen. For me, that cost about $1500 USD. I think I can get by with that amount but I'll probably order another 5 man or so just in case. I'm just waiting to hear back from my supervisor about my first months costs before I decide on an amount. I've been told I'll have to pay for rent for both August and September when I arrive, but I still haven't been told how much that will be yet.

By the way, I'm an Economics major and even I don't understand money all that well.

well, I'm planning to bring all I have. I currently work a $10.50/hour fulltime job, which is sufficient for living, but not for saving. My supervisor recommends I bring about 25man with me. As it stands I think I'll be able to manage closer to 20man, but I'm looking to make that last. I've already purchased furnishings from my pred.

tbh im only bringing like 1200CAD worth of yen to japan but i also get free rent and don't have to worry about deposit and key money so i have it pretty lucky

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

I brought 3,000CAD and used it all because I was the first woman to live in my house in thirty years and when I got there I found a broken sink, a busted washing machine and moldy curtains. Even without the furniture expenditures, you'd be hard pressed to survive six weeks in a new country on 1,200CAD (and my rent is almost free as well, so that wasn't an issue)
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

I spent 3man on hookers and blackjack at tokyo orientation and that was in the dark ages when a nickel would buy you a steak and kidney pie, a cup of coffee, a slice of cheesecake and a newsreel with enough change left over to ride the trolley from Battery Park to the polo grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    I spent 3man on hookers.
    I'm not sure if you got a good deal or regrettable hookers.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I spent 3man on hookers and blackjack at tokyo orientation and that was in the dark ages when a nickel would buy you a steak and kidney pie, a cup of coffee, a slice of cheesecake and a newsreel with enough change left over to ride the trolley from Battery Park to the polo grounds.
    would love a steak and kidney pie right now
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    It could happen. 1/100.

Ah the polo grounds

You will need a lot more than 15man if you are paying 2 months rent. That could be as high as 12man right there.
    I currently have 15 man, but I plan to order at least another 5 man. So in other words, I am bringing at least 20 man with me. I may decide to bring more once I find out how much my rent will be. I'm not certain about this, but I believe my rent is subsidized. Someone told me before that Nagahama jets get a monthly rent subsidy of 3 man. I'm not sure if it is still like that though. I'm hoping that Aug + Sep rent will cost me no more than 10 man, which will leave me with another 10 man to survive on until my first paycheck. I've already been told I don't have to pay key money, and I'm assuming I don't also have to pay the deposit. So 10 man should be enough to live on for a month, right?

I do have another $600 I can access, but I want to leave that in my home bank to take care of my first two student loan payments, which are due Aug. 21st and Sep 21st. The monthly loan payments will be $287 each month.
    Last edited by JPNLKatie; June 29th, 2016 at 13:00.

depends if you want to socialize or not. couple of 5000-10,000yen nights out and that 10man will soon disappear.

delete
    Last edited by JPNLKatie; July 14th, 2016 at 14:23. Reason: no more please