Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Economics

Default Re: Economics

Quote Originally Posted by JPNLKatie View Post
    What would I possibly be spending that money on, besides on food? I don't think I'd be spending $100 on a single meal unless its a 5 star restaurant. I don't drink alcohol, by the way.
    Come on Katie, live a little. A few jars never hurt anyone.

What would I possibly be spending that money on, besides on food? I don't think I'd be spending $100 on a single meal unless its a 5 star restaurant. I don't drink alcohol, by the way.
    Doesn't matter - if you go a "nomihoudai" (all you can drink - but not really) restaurant, you pay the same as everybody else - drinking or not. And the majority of such JET/ALT socializing "events" tend to be in said restaurants. Sometimes they're really cheap - 2000-4000 and sometimes they're far more expensive... And enkais will probably be at nicer ones - bonenkai last year ran around 11000, but that included a night in the onsen/hotel, and the school welcome party was around 8000.

If you've got a Visa debit card through your bank, you can pull out money via Japan Post (the post office) ATMs. It's usually less advantageous than ordering in advance, but it's always an option. And if money is going to be tight and you've got loan payments, see if you can get a couple months forbearance/deferment due to move abroad.
    Last edited by webstaa; June 30th, 2016 at 08:25.

beginning to consider bringing $1-200 worth of yen on the plane and exchanging most of my money in Japan when I get there. Seems like inside the banks in the destination country usually offer the best exchange rates (?).
    Last edited by Frap; Today at 18:46. Reason: sucker

If you do that then you'll probably want to change it in Tokyo as your shitty provincial bank might not be big on doing foreign currency exchanges.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

That's what I did, brought 1000 yen and took out large chunks of money from the JPost bank every day of orientation. Definitely was the best option in terms of exchange rate (my bank has no fees for international withdrawals). If you go this route you might be in trouble on the very slight chance that something goes wrong, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinonfire View Post
    whtamight be in trouble on the very slight chance that something goes wrong, though.
    what do you mean?

Lost or stolen card, for starters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

true.
    I'm a little drunk right now, having a hard time seeing the blindingly obvious.

Check your banks' international daily withdrawal limit if you go this route. My bank had a $300 limit on my checking account - that was a fun suprise when I discovered it.
    Last edited by TachikawaTruffle; July 2nd, 2016 at 23:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinonfire View Post
    That's what I did, brought 1000 yen and took out large chunks of money from the JPost bank every day of orientation. Definitely was the best option in terms of exchange rate (my bank has no fees for international withdrawals). If you go this route you might be in trouble on the very slight chance that something goes wrong, though.
    I did this too. I ran into one brief snag when I tried to withdraw too much at once, however. When I reduced the withdrawal amount, it worked just fine. If you get an error message that could be the issue. I don't remember the exact limit though.

But you definitely want to be sure that your card is cleared in advance for usage abroad.

When I first came to Japan American Express travelers cheques were the preferred method of bringing over cash.....

i'll go back to rocking in my chair while listening to Bobby Darin on the wireless.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

thank you grampa Ini.

yeah, checking with my credit union (poor man's bank) is pretty high on my list now. also haven't asked my pred for recommendations yet, guess I should.

Oh my sweet summer child...
    Last edited by patjs; July 14th, 2016 at 05:04.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    Oh my sweet summer child...
    Yeah, we already piled on her about that. A certain mod moved the posts to the lounge.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Yeah, we already piled on her about that. A certain mod moved the posts to the lounge.
    It could happen. 1/100.

oh no, here it comes again...

oh no, here it comes again...
    I'll take "things Zolrak's victims say" for 1000, Alex!
    It could happen. 1/100.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    You having a go at Zolrak for being a creep would be like me ragging on mothy's alcoholism.
    It could happen. 1/100.