Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need out of here.

Default I need out of here.

I'm looking to get back to Japan with the family.

Is anyone teaching here with Nova? Are they as bad as they were? Even if its just a stepping stone onto something else in Japan, I'd be willing to put up with a fair amount of abuse for a while.
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: I need out of here.

Baron, what's your skill set and where you looking to end up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Well my current job is software engineering in PHP/JQuery/HTM5/CSS/Linux/PostgreSQL.

Did the 5 years as a JET. I'll be reapplying this year. Not particularly looking forward to the long application period again!

I'll be spending the weekend starting my job search in the computing field in Japan but I really don't expect much as my Japanese is far from business level.
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Sorry one last Q, location wise where you looking to end up?

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Osaka - have in laws there.

Can't you do some freelance stuff from home while looking after the rugrat and send the lady wife out into the working world?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Can't you do some freelance stuff from home while looking after the rugrat and send the lady wife out into the working world?
    Yeah, with how little eikaiwas pay it wouldn't take that much to make the same off of freelance. I have a friend... Well, kind of friend, who does really well with freelance work.

But if one wants to do eikaiwa, seems to me Nova is about as good as any.

I didn't think you could do JET again if you'd already done 5?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    I didn't think you could do JET again if you'd already done 5?
    If he left just before completing all 60 months then he's technically capable of round two.

Baron, if you are willing to do teaching, I might know a company in osaka which would treat you fairly.

*Previously participated on the Programme for more than 5 years
    Yea, I saw that in the criteria. It says "more than 5 years". I did 5. That's not more than 5
    I'll give it a shot in October when the applications open up again.

Gizmo, that sounds great - can you PM me some details?

I hear good things about Altia Central - they're mainly based in Kansai. I know they require basic-conversational Japanese. They have really fair paid vacation, too.

Isola - I don't see a date on that article

It was relatively recent. But it was more a general clusterfuck than Nova specifically misbehaving.

Baron, it's been all over the Hokkaido news. Like Mothy said a massive clusterfuck.

OK, just haven't been keeping up to date on the forum, so its new to me

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Baron View Post
    Yea, I saw that in the criteria. It says "more than 5 years". I did 5. That's not more than 5
    I'll give it a shot in October when the applications open up again.
    Unfortunately, you can't apply again since 5 years is the MAX. Unless the program changes in the future to be more than 5 years, there's no way.

For the 2016-17 U.S. application, it says applicants must: "Not have participated in the JET Program for three (3) years as of the year of departure, or for a total of five (5) years."

On the 2016-17 Canadian application, it says: "You are NOT eligible to apply
    for this year's JET Programme if:
    ‚óŹ You have participated in the JET Programme since 2013-2014 inclusive of April 2013 arrivals, or for more than five years in total."

This means you must wait until AFTER 2 "application" cycles have passed before you can apply again. But this is only if you participated for less than 5 years.

"For more than 5 years", means you can't participate if you already did 5 years. If you went on for 4 years, you could go back and do another year, but that's it. The U.S. application is more clear about it. Applications across different countries should be about the same, even if the wording is a little bit different.

It'd be best to try to get a direct hire offer from a BOE. This usually requires you to already be in Japan though, and only if there are openings. Or it's best to just find a whole different position, like in your specialty of being a software engineer.
    Last edited by richief_611; July 4th, 2016 at 18:47.

uk says

former JET Programme applicants can reapply to the Programme provided they have not:

*Participated on the Programme in the last 3 years
    *Previously participated on the Programme for more than 5 years
    *Lived in Japan for more than a total of 6 out of the last 10 years
    *Declined an offer of a position on the Programme without justifiable reasons (all applicants who have previously declined an offer of a position on the Programme should consult with the Programme Coordinator regarding their eligibility status)
    Sounds ok to me.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Sent them a mail just to be sure. No point in wasting time if it's an instant rejection.

Update:
    Their reply is below.
    To answer your query, five years is the maximum length of time that anyone may participate on the JET Programme. Therefore, we regret to inform you that you are ineligible to reapply. We would like to thank you for your continued interest in the JET Programme and we wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Kind regards,

UK JET Programme
    Last edited by Beer Baron; July 4th, 2016 at 22:01.

Time to break out the hair wax and silver suit and enter the lucrative world of hosting.