Thread: Extra things you brought with you to Japan

Default Extra things you brought with you to Japan

Hey all.

So I'm curious what kinds of things other JETs brought with them on their initial move to Japan. And I'm not referring to the obvious things like clothes, toiletries, or whatever kinds of things you would typically find on a "What to pack for the JET Program" list. I'm talking about certain items you brought for your own personal reasons, whether it be food, electronics, or a sentimental item.

For myself, I'm planning on bringing my drawing tablet, kindle, and possibly my 3ds with a few games. I mostly just want some things to do at home while I'm waiting for my internet to get set up. I'm also bringing my laptop, but I consider that to be one of those "obvious things".

I'm also honestly considering bringing a jar of ovaltine. I know you can find chocolate syrup in Japan, but man, do I love my ovaltine. haha
    So what kinds of things did you or someone else you know bring?

Side note: I just realized this, but will I need a power converter for my kindle / 3ds? What are the chances of me ruining my electronics in the case I don't use a converter?
    Last edited by JPNLKatie; July 3rd, 2016 at 16:00.

Default Re: Extra things you brought with you to Japan

If you're coming from the US, then you won't need a converter for your DS or any other Nintendo game systems. They seem to be the same in both countries, as far as I'm aware. In fact, any hardware accessories from Nintendo seem to be universal. It's just the software that's region-specific.

I brought some dumb things from home, most of which I didn't need. I think the only superfluous things I brought that I don't regret bringing were my DS and Wii, but even those aren't things I use that much.

Oh, I also took a ton of photos before I left and brought that data with me. I took photos of family, local landmarks, buildings, grocery store products, etc. Those have proven to be really valuable for lessons, although I've had to update them gradually over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    If you're coming from the US, then you won't need a converter for your DS or any other Nintendo game systems. They seem to be the same in both countries, as far as I'm aware. In fact, any hardware accessories from Nintendo seem to be universal. It's just the software that's region-specific.

I brought some dumb things from home, most of which I didn't need. I think the only superfluous things I brought that I don't regret bringing were my DS and Wii, but even those aren't things I use that much.

Oh, I also took a ton of photos before I left and brought that data with me. I took photos of family, local landmarks, buildings, grocery store products, etc. Those have proven to be really valuable for lessons, although I've had to update them gradually over the years.
    What kind of "dumb things" did you bring, if you don't mind me asking?

I really brought very little. I guess my wife brought her Wii with us.

Quote Originally Posted by JPNLKatie View Post
    What kind of "dumb things" did you bring, if you don't mind me asking?
    I can't remember everything, but I brought a lot of little things (English flash cards, a few graded readers, etc.) that in theory might be useful in the classroom but I ended up having no way to use them so they just took up space. I don't think I used any of the materials I brought aside from the photos and annuals/student ID cards from JHS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    I can't remember everything, but I brought a lot of little things (English flash cards, a few graded readers, etc.) that in theory might be useful in the classroom but I ended up having no way to use them so they just took up space. I don't think I used any of the materials I brought aside from the photos and annuals/student ID cards from JHS.
    Oh, student ID cards! That's a good idea. I've collected my id cards all the way through middle school as well. That might be an interesting thing to bring.

I brought a binder full of CD/DVDs/Games, a Kindle, two game systems (Wii and PS2 slim) a few mini pizza pans that I've used for baking (although I probably could have easily found similar ones here), some ESL stuff that I haven't used.

I also brought a few sentimental things like jewelry, notebooks, small home decor things, and a bunch of pictures of my family/hometown for lessons that I haven't used (it was easier to take everything off FB in the end).

I haven't regretted bringing any of it, instead I regret not having enough space for physical copies of my fav books but I've lived without them so far so whatever.