Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Choosing Location?

Default Help Choosing Location?

Hello all,

I am an aspiring JET and I am thinking of locations to put on my application this fall. I know that what I pick may not be where I end up, but even general locations (even the island) I am having trouble with.

Things I know about the location I'd like:

- Situation wise I'm thinking Kyushu - everything from the weather to the landscape I like about it, ---but--- southern Honshu seems nice as well. I'd really love to be near the mountains but also near the ocean, best of both worlds kind of thing. If there are local hot springs that's even better.

- I'd like a small city/large town sort of thing. Large enough to be interesting where one meets new people often, and small enough to be laid back and homey. Slow and steady wins the race. I guess situated where travel to other places is not difficult, like visiting another city for the weekend kind of thing.

- Someplace unique I guess - I want the full steep in Japanese culture, from traditional housing to (most importantly) awesome local food!

That's all I really look for - a place with mountain and ocean views, slow but interesting and where I can live the traditional life. I've never have been to Japan, but have been working so I can go. I really don't know which locations I should put down, so if anybody can recommend places they think are awesome please put them down! They don't even have to be on Kyushu!

Default Re: HELP CHOOSING LOCATION?

You're way jumping the gun.

Don't worry about where you're getting placed, as you have super little to do with where you get placed. Applications aren't even up. I bet you're excited, but there are other aspects of the application you should focus your energy on.

I don't know what you've heard about Kyushu, but it's hot as balls. Also it's inaka af.

Tottori

ACPC you must really hate this guy.

Well if you request Tottori or Shimane you will get it.

Sounds like just about anywhere in Tohoku would work for you.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    I don't know what you've heard about Kyushu, but it's hot as balls. Also it's inaka af.
    I just came back from Kyushu and it felt like a glorious spring day compared to the fiery death trap I returned home to.
    It was nice to be reminded what my hair feels like when its not 95% humidity though.

And also, agreed. OP is way jumping the gun. First, focus on getting in and then you can enjoy watching JET completely disregard any placement preference you had.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

just pick Suburban/Rural anywhere other than Kanto, Okinawa or Hokkaido.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Yeah I probably am jumping the gun a little, but you're right - just excited. I know that you have to put down 3 locals in your application, so I started to think about it and came to the conclusion I really have no idea where to start.

I know Kyushu is definitely hot and humid, but that's what I'm used too. I'm thinking Kyushu has mountains, pretty countrysides, and small townships everywhere to visit.

What's in Tohuku?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Sounds like just about anywhere in Tohoku would work for you.
    That's kinda what I was thinking actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by GATTACA View Post
    Yeah I probably am jumping the gun a little, but you're right - just excited. I know that you have to put down 3 locals in your application, so I started to think about it and came to the conclusion I really have no idea where to start.

I know Kyushu is definitely hot and humid, but that's what I'm used too. I'm thinking Kyushu has mountains, pretty countrysides, and small townships everywhere to visit.

What's in Tohuku?
    Mountains. Ocean. Small villages and moderate sized cities. Pretty much the same as Kyushu, but colder and, in my opinion, less likely to be placed in an area that's too countryside.

tohoku? big booty bitches and raw horse meat.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    raw horse meat.
    What a vulgar way to refer to a penis
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    Well if you request Tottori or Shimane you will get it.
    Can confirm.

I requested a town inside Shimane pref. and didn't get it. But you guys might be talking about the cities.
    Last edited by Frap; Today at 18:46. Reason: sucker

I guess I'll need to do some digging into Tohoku - mountains, oceans, and medium-sized townships sound about right to me. Plus take away the humidity of Kyushu and that sounds like a pretty scene.

Quote Originally Posted by OatsCurrySummer View Post
    First, focus on getting in and then you can enjoy watching JET completely disregard any placement preference you had.
    So in most likelihood will they completely disregard placement options, and I don't really need to think this much about placement?

Default Re: Help Choosing Location?

the will take legitimate reasons into consideration. (health reasons for requesting hot/cold areas, family living nearby, preexisting ties to a region etc etc) just saying "I like mountains, ocean and sun" makes you sound like an advertisement for MOS burger and probably wont stop them sticking you anywhere they feel like.

Depending on where you're applying from, they may not even ask you for reasons why you picked your preferences.

If I remember correctly, there was no option to include a reason for your preferences on the online form. You had the option of choosing a "top three" from a drop down box. They didn't even bring up my choices in the interview. Literally wasn't even mentioned.

FYI, my top choice was Hokkaido and I got Hokkaido.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    It could happen. 1/100.

Quote Originally Posted by GATTACA View Post
    So in most likelihood will they completely disregard placement options, and I don't really need to think this much about placement?
    Like Ini said, legitimate health reasons will be taken into consideration (for example, a diabetic would not be placed on my island because there is no hospital and medical emergencies require a helicopter airlift), but for the most part, its mostly up to chance and whatever mysterious happenings take place behind CLAIR's doors.
    For example, I requested all the northern prefectures because I hate the heat...and they sent me to a tropical island with 95% humidity every day. I've come to tolerate (dare I say, like?) it now.
    Also, being an alternate means my preferences probably got zero consideration. It was all dependent on somebody breaking contract early.

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    Depending on where you're applying from, they may not even ask you for reasons why you picked your preferences.

If I remember correctly, there was no option to include a reason for your preferences on the online form.
    If your reasons are strong enough they probably cropped up elsewhere in your app (SOP, intercultural experience, japan-related studies)